Capello Blasts Lack Of Italy Talent

FILE COPY Former Real Madrid and England coach Fabio Capello           Photo Credit: AFP

 

Former Real Madrid and England coach, Fabio Capello, has blasted the lack of talent in the Italian national team as he insisted Monday his coaching career was over.

The 71-year-old Italian had been linked with the vacant Italy coaching job after leaving Jiangsu Suning of the Chinese Super League (CSL) last month.

“In Italy there is no talent, in the national team there are no players able to make the difference,” Capello told Radio Rai.

Giampiero Ventura was fired as coach last November, days after four-time world champions Italy’s shock failure to qualify for the World Cup for the first time in 60 years.

“I’ve already had some experience with the English and Russian national teams, I wanted to try to train a club once again and Jiangsu was my last football experience,” continued Capello.

“I did everything I wanted, I’m very happy with what I did, and now I am delighted to be a TV commentator. You always win in this role!”

Capello, whose decorated career also included coaching spells at AC Milan, Juventus, Roma and Russia, last June became one of the most high-profile names to move to China, where clubs have been spending big to lure foreign managers and players.

AFP

Capello Rules Out Italy Job, Focus On China

Former England manager Fabio Capello on Friday ruled himself out as the Italian national team coach saying his focus was on his job in China.

The Italian signed last June with Chinese Super League side Jiangsu Suning, a club which is owned by Suning Group and businessman Zhang Jindong, who also controls Serie A giants Inter Milan.

“No I’ll never do it, I’ve stopped,” the 71-year-old told Italy’s La Repubblica newspaper when asked about his name being touted for the vacant Azzurri position.

“Anyhow, I’m in China…,” he added when asked if he had been contacted.

Capello said he was “saddened” by the four-time world champions World Cup failure but believes it could a “turning point for Italian football”.

“To start doing something different, change the rhythm of things, which for years had always been the same.

“It cannot be just one person who makes decisions, we need a group of capable people who know football and work together … to pursue the interests of Italian football and not personal interests.”

Capello made his name at AC Milan in the 1990s, winning four Serie A titles and the Champions League. He won two La Liga titles with Real Madrid and an Italian league title with Roma, with two Serie A titles he won with Juventus revoked after a match-fixing scandal.

England reached the last 16 of the 2010 World Cup under Capello, and he spent three years as Russia coach before being sacked.

Despite also being linked with struggling AC Milan, Capello has indicated he wants to continue his work in China.

“It was a deliberate choice,” he added of his move to Asia. “I wanted to answer those who accuse me of only having coached teams that could win the championship.

“Instead I took on Jiangsui Suning who were penultimate, we finished the away group with eight points, in the return we got 23. We were saved with three rounds to go, exciting.”

AFP

Russia Gunning For Win Against Portugal– Capello

Russia national team coach; Fabio Capello has assured that the team will not be gunning for anything less than win against Portugal ahead of their group F World Cup clash despite having  a better position if both teams draw.  

Russia already has recorded four wins from four, and is a point clear of both Israel and Portugal with two games in hand.

Capello neither he or the team are thinking about coming off with a draw as they approach the pitch rather it is about to always win and while into the game, if their opponent shows a better attacking style he will be forced to defend but if otherwise he will attack to the fullest as he is not ready to dabble into what he referred to as “football mathematics”.

Capello, who will be without injured forward Alexander Kokorin, hailed his team’s good start to the qualifying campaign but said the job, was far from done as he hinted that Portugal will be attaching same importance that his team has attached to the game so it will be a tough one for both teams.

The group winners qualify for next year’s World Cup finals in Brazil, while the eight best runners-up will go through a play-off over two legs for the remaining four places.

Fabio Capello records first victory against N.Ireland

Russia won its first competitive match under new coach Fabio Capello, beating Northern Ireland 2-0 to open qualifying in Group F for the 2014 World Cup.

Victor Fayzulin opened the scoring from Alexander Kerzhakov’s cross into the box in the 30th minute. Roman Shirokov almost doubled the lead four minutes later, but goalkeeper Roy Carroll stretched his right leg to block the low shot.

Kerzhakov hit the right post from a free kick 19 metres (yards) out in the 75th before Shirokov converted a penalty three minutes later to make it 2-0.

On Tuesday, Russia is at Israel and Northern Ireland hosts Luxembourg. Azerbaijan and Portugal are also in the group.

Capello close to sealing Russia coaching job

Inching closer to becoming the new head coach of the Russian national team, Fabio Capello and the RFU crossed another hurdle after agreeing to the terms of personal contract.

Capello is currently jobless, after leaving the English national team because of the country’s Football Association action against John Terry who was stripped of the captain’s arm band against his wishes.

The Russian Football Union’s acting president, Nikita Simonyan confirmed the progress saying ‘The personal contract has been agreed and what is remaining for the contract to be sealed finally is the signature of the parties’.

Russia chose Capello from the list of 13 local and foreign coaches, which was revealed earlier this month and included the likes of Pep Guardiola, Harry Redknapp and Rafael Benitez.

As hopes are high on the contract, the media in the country are so optimistic that the deal will be totally sealed and announced officially to the footballing world by Friday, a deal that will keep Fabio Capello in Russia for the next two years as agreed, making the Italian the highest paid coach in the world, with an annual salary of $12 million.

While in some quarters, the information making the round is that the 66-year-old Italian will only get $6 million annually which is less than what Dick Advocaat, his predecessor.

Capello has won five Serie A titles with AC Milan and Roma as well as two Spanish crowns and the UEFA Champions League with Real Madrid.

Magistrate clears John Terry of racist charge against Ferdinand

Chief magistrate Howard Riddle has cleared Chelsea defender John Terry of a racially aggravated public order offence against Anton Ferdinand.

The England international, who denied the charge, was alleged to have made the comments during a Premier League game at Loftus Road last October.

Delivering the verdict Chief Magistrate Howard Riddle said: “The issue for the court is not to decide whether Mr Terry is a racist – I have received unchallenged evidence he is not.

“The issue is whether Mr Terry uttered the words as an insult. “

However, the judge then went on to add that: “The only verdict the court can record is Not Guilty.

“Even with all the help received, it is impossible to be sure exactly what were the words spoken by John Terry at the relevant time

“It is a crucial fact that nobody has given evidence about what Mr. Terry said or how he said it.”

The Chief Magistrate went on to describe Ferdinand as “brave” to give evidence and added that:  “Overall I found Anton Ferdinand to be a believable witness on the central issue.”

After the verdict was announced the Crown Prosecution Service stated: “The very serious allegation at the heart of this case was one of racial abuse. It was our view that this was not ‘banter’ on the football pitch and that the allegation should be judged by a court.

“The Chief Magistrate agreed that Mr. Terry had a case to answer, but having heard all of the evidence he acquitted Mr. Terry of a racially aggravated offence. That is justice being done and we respect the Chief Magistrate’s decision.”

Terry, who was stripped of the England captaincy over the affair, left court without a word for the assembled media but Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck added: “Chelsea football club notes that of course we respect the decision of the magistrate today.

“We are pleased that John can now put his mind to football and go back to training and do what he has done for many years.”

 

Russian FA shortlists Capello,Guardiola and Redknapp

Former Barcelona boss, Pep Guardiola and England’s former coach, Fabio Capello are amongst the high profiled candidates running eagerly for the position of Russia coach.

The Russian Football Union (RFU) revealed on Tuesday that the union is planning to discuss further with the contenders so as to determine who takes up the job as head coach of the National team.

Other top contenders for the position are Harry Redknapp who is the former boss of Tottenham Hotspur, former Liverpool boss, Rafael Benitez, Marcelo Bielsa and Marcelo Lippi.

Local media and football pundits tipped Capello and Guardiola who are the early front-runners as possible two contenders after the filtering must have been completed but also ruled the chances any Russian taking up the position as Valery Gazzayev, Anatoly Byshovets and Yuri Semin, who coached the national team in the past but were sacked or quit following a string of poor results were amongst the list as Russians.

Much against the will of the Russian Football Union the list of the candidates were released claiming it was due to intense media speculation about the job, which became vacant following Dutchman Dick Advocaat’s departure after Russia’s failure to get past the group phase at Euro 2012.

One name conspicuous by its absence was Manchester City’s Italian manager Roberto Mancini who agreed a new five-year contract with the English Premier League champions on Monday.

On Monday, Russian media, quoting RFU and Sports Ministry sources, said Mancini had agreed a four-year deal to become Russia’s new coach after officials found a “signed contract” in the safe of former RFU chief Sergei Fursenko.