Military Recording Successes Despite ‘Serious’ Security Challenges, Says COAS

File photo of the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Faruk Yahaya

 

The Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Faruk Yahaya, on Wednesday said the military and other security agencies are making steady progress in various theatres of operation despite the serious security challenges facing the country.

Yahaya stated this at the combat training week of the Army Infantry Corps, in Jaji, Kaduna State, which has both serving and retired military officers in attendance.

While noting that the security challenges are not peculiar to Nigeria and the West African sub-region alone, he said the military has continued to adopt kinetic and non-kinetic measures to confront such security threats.

READ ALSO: Over 51,000 Repentant Terrorists, Families In Custody – Military

“We are aware that our country is facing serious security challenges. We are not the only ones facing security challenges if we are fair across the globe, region, or sub-region,” he said.

“We know that these are challenging times. We are doing our best to address them and we are doing that by recording a lot of successes across all theatres of operations. Training is key and we are not letting on it.

“It cuts across all board including soldiers and us. In everything we do, we shall continue to review our curriculum in tandem with the existing security challenges.”

The Combat Arms Training Week of the Nigerian Army is an annual event for the various combat support units of the Nigerian Army to appraise activities,  brainstorm and share ideas.

Activities line up for the week-long event including lectures, and discussions, among others,  and the chief of Army Staff arrives at the Army Infantry Corps in Jaji Kaduna State to participate in the event.

The theme of this year’s Combat Training Week is “Effective combat arms manoeuvre,  a panacea for success in battle.”

Insurgency: Remain Dogged, Unrelenting In Routing Criminal Elements – COAS Tells Troops

File Photo of the Chief of Army Staff, Major-General Farouk Yahaya.

 

As the nation battles insurgency in the North-East, the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Faruk Yahaya has charged troops participating in ongoing operations to remain dogged and unrelenting in routing out criminal elements.

Yahaya, who gave the charge on Sunday during a routine operational visit to the headquarters of the Joint Task Force (JTF) in Borno State to assess the level of successes recorded thus far, called on troops to be more decisive in routing the criminal elements from their enclaves.

This was contained in a statement issued by the Director Army Public Relations, Brigadier General Onyema Nwachukwu.

READ ALSO: Troops Kill 20 Terrorists In Lake Chad Basin

“General Yahaya enjoined troops to continue to decimate the insurgents and deny them freedom of action. This he said, will provide a safe environment and opportunity for other elements of national power to play their statutory roles in the fight against terrorism and insurgency in the theatre,” the statement partly read.

The army chief arrived at the theatre of operations in the company of some principal staff officers, where he was given an update on the ongoing Operation Desert Sanity and Operation Lake Sanity.

He equally expressed satisfaction with the successes so far, urging them to remain vigilant and proactive during the Sallah celebration.

Yahaya Replaces Adeniyi As Operation Lafiya Dole Commander

A file photo of soldiers travelling in a truck.

 

 

The Nigerian Army has announced the redeployment and appointments of some of its senior officers.

Among those affected in the massive shake-up was the Theatre Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole, Major General Olusegun Adeniyi.

Adeniyi was replaced by Major General Faruk Yahaya who would serve as the eighth Theatre Commander of the operation.

The Director of Army Public Relations, Colonel Sagir Musa, confirmed this in a statement on Tuesday.

He explained that the Chief of Army Staff Lieutenant General Tukur Buratai approved the postings as a routine exercise intended to strengthen the system for greater professional effectiveness and efficiency.

Over 20 other generals and a colonel were also affected in the exercise.

The redeployment comes amid the outrage triggered by a viral video in which Adeniyi decried an attack that inflicted heavy casualty on the troops and left some of their vehicles in a state of disrepair.

The former theatre commander explained the difficult situation under which troops were operating while pledging loyalty to the Nigerian Armed Forces.

It is, however, unclear if his redeployment has anything to do with the attack and the said video.