FIFA Bans Ex-Liberia Football Chief

Fifa, World Cup Draw

 

FIFA on Wednesday banned the former head of the Liberian Football Association from football for 10 years over corruption, including misuse of funds intended for an Ebola awareness campaign. 

Musa Hassan Bility, an executive committee member at the Confederation of African Football (CAF), was also hit with a 500,000 Swiss franc ($507,000, 455,000 euros) fine by judges at FIFA’s independent ethics committee.

FIFA’s investigation targeting Bility, launched in May 2018, “related to the misappropriation of the funds granted under FIFA’s ’11 against Ebola’ campaign,” the world football’s governing body said in a statement.

READ ALSO: Nigeria Moves 12 Spots Up On FIFA Ranking

The campaign that saw top football stars promoting Ebola awareness measures was formed in November 2014, near the peak of a pandemic that killed more than 11,000 people across Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea.

In addition to stealing Ebola prevention funds, FIFA judges found Bility guilty of misusing others resources sent to the LFA and diverting money to businesses controlled by him or his family.

Bility had attempted to run as a candidate to replace FIFA’s disgraced former president Sepp Blatter in a 2015 campaign ultimately won by Gianni Infantino.

But he was barred at the time from contesting after failing to pass integrity tests.

AFP

FIFA Bans Afghan Football Chief Over Sex Abuse

FIFA Bans Ex-Zambian Football Chief Bwalya Over Bribery Allegations
File

FIFA on Wednesday suspended the president of the Afghanistan Football Federation Keramuddin Karim for 90 days pending an investigation into allegations of sexual and physical abuse against the national women’s team.

FIFA’s independent ethics committee said in a statement that the provisional ban “may be extended pending proceedings on the merits of the case.”

Karim is barred from all football-related activities at both the national and international level, the statement said.

Afghanistan’s President Ashraf Ghani has ordered an investigation into claims of abuse by male officials against members of the women’s team, which were first reported in Britain’s Guardian newspaper.

The Guardian cited what it described as senior figures associated with the women’s team who said the abuse had taken place in Afghanistan, including at the AFF headquarters, and at a training camp in Jordan last February.

The story quoted former captain Khalida Popal — who fled the country after receiving death threats and has spoken out previously about the discrimination women face in Afghanistan — as saying male officials were “coercing” female players.

Afghanistan has made strides to promote female football. Four years ago, it launched its first all-women’s football league that ran in parallel with the men’s.

In 2017 the female teams were sidelined by a lack of funding.

AFP