Centenary City: House Seeks Prosecution Of Anyim, Bala Mohammed

Centenary City Project: House Seeks Prosecution Of Pius Anyim, Bala MohammedThe House of Representatives has called for the prosecution of the former Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Senator Pius Anyim, for his role in the Centenary City Project.

The lawmakers also sought for the prosecution of former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Senator Bala Mohammed.

The call was one of the recommendations adopted by the House on Thursday, after considering the report of its Committee which investigated the matter.

The lawmakers also approved the recommendation that the Code of Conduct Bureau, as well as the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission should investigate the roles played by both former public officers in the project.

Kaduna Killings: Agwai Appointed Chairman Of Security Committee

kaduna governorKaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, has appointed the former Chief of Defence Staff, LT General Martin Luther Agwai, as Chairman of a security committee set up by the state government to recommend ways to stamp out attacks on communities in the southern part of the state.

According to a statement issued on Saturday by the Governor’s Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Samuel Aruwan, the committee is part of the government’s multidimensional approach in finding lasting solutions to the killings in the area, which have continued since the post-election violence of 2011.

The committee’s terms of reference are to identify the socio-political and economic factors that promote existing conflicts in Southern Kaduna and advise on measures to be taken by the government to address them,

The committee will also explore ways of finding mutual solutions that engender reconciliation between communities in Southern Kaduna and also advise the government on how the villages and communities of Southern Kaduna would be free from attacks bedevilling it.

It has 30 days to complete its assignment and submit its report.

The chairman of the committee, Mr Agwai, is presently serving as a United Nations envoy in Sudan.

On Thursday, 13 people were killed and 15 others critically wounded in separate attacks at two local government areas of the state.

The governor had earlier disclosed that a security committee which would include traditional rulers and other critical stakeholders would soon be established by the state government in order to work out the specific roles for traditional rulers towards the maintenance of peace and security in the state.

FG Wants Boko Haram Insurgency To Continue – El Rufai

Former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nasir El-Rufai has accused the Federal Government  of wanting the Boko Haram insurgency to continue for selfish reasons.

Speaking on Channels Television’s breakfast programme, Sunrise Daily, Mr El-Rufai faulted President Goodluck Jonathan’s statement suggesting that members of the Boko Haram group are ghosts.

He said, “over a thousand Boko Haram operatives are in the custody of the SSS here in Abuja,” hence the Government cannot claim to not know who the terrorists are. He added that he knows the government has a lot of information about the Islamist group.

“What is lacking is the will to address this issue. I think the government just wants this to continue because it is profitable for the security agencies to have huge budgets, most of which is stolen.” He said.

The former minister also said that the government which has over time requested the help of people such as himself, the Sultan of Sokoto and the Borno Elder’s Council, in talking to the extremist group has also accused them of being ‘Boko Haram Sympathisers.’

Watch the video below for the complete interview with Mr El-Rufai

Amnesty Should Be Explored In Fight Against Boko Haram – El Rufai

Former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nasir El-Rufai has called  on the federal government to explore the option of granting amnesty to members of the Boko Haram sect as requested by the Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Mohammad Saad Abubakar (III).

He stated that the sole use of military force to tackle the insurgency cannot work as it has never worked in any part of the world.

“There is nowhere in the world where insurgencies have been defeated using force alone. You must have a carrot and stick approach and if amnesty is that carrot that will lead us to some peace in the country, I think it is worth exploring.”

The Former Minister of FCT made this known on our breakfast programme Sunrise Daily, where he also faulted President Goodluck Jonathan’s claim that the members of the fundamentalist sect are ghosts.

According to him “it is very disingenuous for President Jonathan to say that Boko Haram members are ghosts because the federal government have made several statements on its relations and discussions with the sect.”

“It is very disingenuous for security operatives to say that they  don’t know Boko members when over 1,000 members have been arrested and are in detention” he added.


He further accused the government of being disinterested in resolving the issue and is trying to encourage the uprising with a view at destroying a part of the country.

The politician alleged that “the government just want this (insurgency) to continue because it profitable for the security agencies with more money being budgeted for them.”

El-Rufai Adamant Over Abuja Demolition

Several years after leaving office, the former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Mr. Nasir El-Rufai, has remained adamant over the demolition of several buildings in the nation’s capital city during his tenure.

The former minister insists that he had to take drastic action to save Abuja from being turned into a slum by influential persons in the corridors of power.

Mr. El-Rufai, who made the comments at the presentation of his new book “The Accidental Public Servant” in Abuja on Thursday, claims he was able to dislodge the cabal distorting the Abuja Master Plan and using land allocations to enrich themselves at the expense of the country and its people.

“I love Abuja and gave nearly four years of my life to its restoration, orderliness and development,” he said.

Mr. El-Rufai ordered the demolition of hundreds of buildings within the Abuja metropolis and the satellite towns for the distortion of the city’s master plan to the chagrin of the house owners.

He also attributes his success in carrying out the exercise to the support he received from his boss and former President Olusegun Obasanjo.

“I was able to do my assignment because Obasanjo, who appointed me Minister, considered Abuja as his own child and supported me as his son for the FCT assignment and up to this point in time, I have not disappointed him,” the former FCT Minister said.

In the 627-page book, Mallam El-Rufai also explains why he quit the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in 2010, saying the party had lost focus and direction.