Gridlock On Lagos-Ibadan Expressway After Fuel Tankers Collide

File Photo of an accident scene on Kara-end of Lagos Ibadan Expressway in June 2020.

 

The Lagos-Ibadan expressway is on standstill, after two tankers carrying Premium Motor Spirit, collided with each other in the early hours of today.

The Lagos State fire service is already on ground to salvage the situation.

However, movement of motorists coming inward and outward Lagos had to be out on hold as the PMS (fuel) had spilled over the roads.

Those commuting out of Lagos were diverted at the Kara-end of the expressway to continue their journeys.

Fashola Inspects Traffic Gridlock Points In Mile 2 And Apapa

IMG_9094Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola (SAN), on Sunday July 6, inspected the traffic congestion points at the Mile 2 under bridge of the Lagos–Badagry Expressway and Creek Road in Apapa.

For weeks, residents of the areas have complained to the Government over the pains of obstruction and traffic congestion on the roads, which have been caused by the combination of continuous trading on the road, dumping of refuse in the drainage and fuel tankers who are seeking to load fuel from the tank farms in the area.

In his reply to questions from newsmen after the inspection of Creek Road, which has been taken over by the fuel tankers, Fashola said that Government was prepared to wait for a week, as promised by the operators, to organize the parking of their tankers in a way that traffic could move on the road.

Fashola also said that owners of the oil companies that have tank farms in Apapa would visit the area in the course of the week as a group “to see for themselves how they make profit and the cost of that profit on ordinary citizens”.

At the Mile 2 stopover, the Governor identified the main cause of the Mile 2 problem to be the undergoing expansion of the road which contractors have to work on while people use the road.

He noted that it would have been easier for Government to shut down the road for 2 months while work was going on, but this was not possible. “So this is part of what causes the inconvenience, we have to build while citizens use the roads”, he explained.

He, however, appealed to the citizens and residents not to contribute to the problem by trading on the road but to restrain themselves by doing things the proper way and to also bear with the Government over the inconveniences they suffer.

He assured the people that some of the tanker operators have promised to leave one lane free on Creek Road to allow traffic to move within the area.

Also present at the inspections was the Commissioner for Works and Infrastructure, Dr. Obafemi Hamzat and his Environment counterpart, Mr. Tunji Bello; the Special Adviser on Works and Infrastructure, Ganiyu Johnson; the Group Chief Executive Officer of Oando PLC, Mr. Wale Tinubu; and the Publisher of Business Day, Mr. Frank Aigbogun.

Members of NUPENG, some residents of Apapa and a representative of the tank farm operators also met the team at Apapa.

Petrol Tankers Explode In Kano

Two petrol tankers exploded in Kano, North West Nigeria, on Monday resulting in the death of at least 4 occupants of the vehicles.

The explosion according to eyewitnesses, occurred at about 6am after two petrol tankers collided, resulting in panic on BUK Road in the ancient city.

The eyewitnesses told Channels Television that people in the environ erroneously attributed the explosion to a bomb planted by the Boko Haram insurgents  which caused a stampede. Several people sustained injuries from the stampede.

Motorists were also seen re-routing to alternative roads to avoid being caught in the presumed violence.

However, state fire service officials debunked the eyewitnesses’ claim on the casualty figure, stating that only one person died in the incident. The officials also stated that the blaze had been brought under control and the road reopened for normal activities.

12 killed in suicide blasts near U.S. base in Afghanistan

A fuel tanker laden with explosives was driven by a suicide bomb in the Wardak province injured scores as another suicide bomber wearing explosive vest detonated his explosives.

Two suicide attackers blew themselves up near a US base in Afghanistan, claiming at least 12 lives.

Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid claimed responsibility for the attack, which he said was aimed at the American base.

A spokesman for the Wardak provincial governor; Shahidullah Shadid said one suicide bomber detonated a vest rigged with explosives outside a compound housing the district governor’s office, while another in a fuel tanker detonated his bomb on a road separating the compound from the base and that eight civilians and four Afghan police were left dead. Also 59 people were wounded, including two Nato troops, 47 civilians and ten Afghan police officers.

General Abdul Qayum Bakizai who is the head of police, said it was a powerful explosion as it broke windows all over the area and most of the injuries were from broken glass from the windows of homes and shops. He concluded saying most of the truck wasn’t found to show how powerful the explosive was.

In a separate incident on Saturday, Nato said two US soldiers were killed in eastern Ghazni province. It did not provide any further information or details about the deaths, which were the first this month.

A total of 53 foreign troops were killed in Afghanistan in August.