No Talks Yet On Long-Term United Future, Says Solskjaer

Manchester United’s Norwegian caretaker manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer shouts instructions to his players during the English Premier League football match between Newcastle United and Manchester United in north-east England on January 2, 2019. Lindsey PARNABY / AFP

 

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has not yet spoken to Manchester United bosses about extending his stay at Old Trafford beyond the end of the season despite a perfect start to his reign.

The Norwegian former striker has won his first four Premier League matches as United manager — a record that only former boss Matt Busby can match.

He made clear after the victory at Newcastle this week that he would love to stay in the job beyond the summer when his loan from Norwegian club Molde is set to expire but said on Friday that he had not spoken to executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward about that.

“It’s early days,” said Solskjaer. “When I came in they were open and honest. They have a process to look for the next manager but the more you’re here the more you enjoy it.

“It’s one game at a time, though, and the day they announce the next manager, if it’s me or someone else, then good luck to them.”

Solskjaer added that, because of his interim status, he would have only a limited say in United’s January transfer activity.

He said he was happy with the squad as it stands and that there was no urgent need to add to it.

“The club’s probably had a plan,” he said. “You don’t just plan the next day and next month. This transfer window has probably been planned since the summer and the year before.

“The structure here is phenomenal, I’m sure they’ve got their targets. I’m here to voice my opinion on that and I’m sure we’ll sit down, me and Ed, if we’ve got anything in the pipeline.

“I’m here to work with the ones I’ve got. They’ve all performed and as long as they perform, they should get a chance. But that’s my job, to improve players and individuals.”

Solskjaer is focusing on FA Cup progress against Reading, who are second from bottom of the Championship.

The Norwegian won the trophy in 1999 and 2004 as a player with United, and is keen to succeed in the competition as a manager.

Paul Pogba is likely to miss the third-round home tie on Saturday with a minor injury.

The France midfielder suffered a knock during Wednesday’s 2-0 Premier League victory at Newcastle, having been on the receiving end of a robust challenge by Jonjo Shelvey.

Romelu Lukaku, a scoring substitute in United’s past two matches, is likely to be given his first start since Solskjaer replaced Jose Mourinho last month and Alexis Sanchez is also set for his first start since November 7.

“I’m not sure if Paul’s going to be ready,” said Solskjaer. “He got a knock against Newcastle. If (Marouane) Fellaini gets through the session today, it’s more or less a full squad.

“Definitely, there’ll be a few changes and they’ll get a chance. Some of them are itching now to play of course. It’s a chance to get Lukaku and Sanchez a start. That’s important for them because they need more game time.”

I Have A Future Without Manchester United,’ Says Mourinho

Manchester United’s Portuguese manager Jose Mourinho looks on during a training session at the Carrington Training complex in Manchester, north west England on the eve of their Champions league group stage football match against Valencia on December 11, 2018. Lindsey PARNABY / AFP

 

Jose Mourinho said on Wednesday he has a “future without Manchester United”, speaking for the first time since he was sacked by the Premier League club.

The Old Trafford hierarchy sacked Mourinho in the aftermath of Sunday’s 3-1 defeat at Anfield that left the 20-times champions an embarrassing 19 points behind league leaders Liverpool after just 17 matches.

But the former Chelsea, Real Madrid and Inter Milan boss refused to go into details about his departure.

“I don’t change. And what I did when I left Chelsea, for example, is the same as that I’m going to do now,” Mourinho told Sky Sports News.

“I keep the good things and I don’t speak about anything that happened in the club.

“We could speak about so many good things. It’s finished” he added.

“Manchester United has a future without me and I have a future without Manchester United, so why should I now be sharing with you or even with the supporters, any of my feelings?

“It’s over. That’s me and that’s the way I’ve always been and I was always very critical of managers that leave clubs and then they come out and they speak about details of what happened and who is to blame for this kind of situation — that’s not me. I just want to finish, it happened yesterday and I’d like to say it’s game over.

“And I just hope that you media respect this. Until I get back to football I think I have the right to live my normal life, like I’m going to do now. I go for my little shopping, I go for my little walk and that’s what I want to do. Manchester United is the past.”

Former United striker Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was announced as Mourinho’s temporary replacement on Wednesday.

AFP

Lopetegui ‘Calm’ Over His Real Madrid Future

Real Madrid Appoint Spain Coach, Lopetegui As Manager
Real Madrid’s coach Julen Lopetegui                                                 Pierre-Philippe MARCOU / AFP

 

Real Madrid coach Julen Lopetegui said on Friday that he feels “good” and “calm” over his future at the club despite four winless matches.

“I feel good, I’m Real Madrid coach, the pressure is at the maximum,” Lopetegui said at the press conference prior to the Liga match against Levante on Saturday.

Real are fourth in La Liga and have not scored in six hours and 49 minutes, their worst drought since 1985. Spanish media have been speculating that Italian coach Antonio Conte, who left Chelsea in the summer, could replace Lopetegui if form does not improve.

Asked if he feels he has the support of the club, Lopetegui said  he was “absolutely calm” and added: “You have to live with all these ups and downs in a season knowing that we are where a team can reach any heights and the only recipe is to work, to keep going and to believe.

“We are focused only on the game tomorrow,” he said. “We know that this season there are questions for all teams. How the season will play out, nobody knows. We need to win on the pitch.”

Real open the weekend’s Spanish schedule. Atletico, who are third, play later in the afternoon. Leaders Sevilla, two points ahead of Real, visit second-place Barcelona in the evening.

“There are three points to play for,” Lopetegui said. “Three important points that could lift is to the top of the table.”

The Real coach said he had almost all his squad fit with the recovery of the injured Isco, Karim Benzema, Marcelo and Gareth Bale, without indicating if any would play against Levante.

“Today we will see, it is the last training session before the game,” he said. “We will make decisions tomorrow.”

AFP

Survivors Of Deadly Japan Floods Uncertain Over Future

Residents try to upright a vehicle stuck in a flood hit area in Kurashiki, Okayama prefecture on July 9, 2018. JIJI PRESS / AFP

 

As Tomie Takebe looked at the ruins of her flood-ravaged home in the Japanese town of Kurashiki, she struggled to say whether she would ever live there again.

Record rainfall that unleashed devastating floods and landslides has killed at least 156 people in Japan, and many of those who survived face an uncertain future in homes and towns transformed beyond recognition.

Takebe, 67, was in the Mabi district of Kurashiki in Okayama prefecture, which was partially engulfed by flooding that has now receded, leaving a thick layer of silt as a sign of where the water once was.

“I don’t know what to say,” she said, as she looked at the damage to her two storey home, its contents jumbled together and caked in mud.

“My fridge, everything… It’s all covered in mud,” she said, as relatives helped her bring items outside.

She moved around trying to work out how to clean up, but with no running water or electricity, the task seemed impossible.

And with her life turned upside-down, thinking much further ahead was a struggle.

“Maybe I’ll move and live with my sister in Osaka,” she said.

“But I’m not sure. I’m focusing on cleaning the house for now. I’ll think about the future later.”

Rumours of looters 

Emotions were running high throughout the tight-knit community, where some neighbours kept in touch with each other during the disaster, messaging constantly to check on each other’s safety.

Rumours circulated about looters or thieves targeting homes, and residents shouted at some outsiders as they moved around the neighbourhood.

On the main road, work crews had moved debris to either side of the street, lining the road with a trail of crushed and toppled cars and fallen trees.

Streams of water were still flowing like shallow rivers in some area, and everywhere there was mud left behind by the floodwater.

On one road, convenience store workers dumped expired drinks into a drain, while nearby a fish lay on its side, drying in the sun.

Hirotoshi Ohta, 50, a construction worker, was at work and said the company had lost more than a dozen trucks to the floods.

The firm had sent out some of its remaining concrete mixer trucks to bring groundwater into the area to help with the clean-up work.

But it was unclear how normal business could resume, Ohta said.

“We don’t know what to do,” he said.

“We are a construction firm, but we don’t have our trucks.”

“We’re freaked out and at a loss,” he said, as he cleaned a sand-covered parking lot.

‘I am not alone’ 

Fumiko Inokuchi, 61, was sorting through the ruined remains of the first floor of her home, carrying a picture of her children in baseball uniforms.

She was at home by herself on Saturday, after her husband went to work when she realised flood water would soon trap her in the house.

She escaped across the road to a three-storey care home for the elderly and watched in horror as the water gradually consumed the bottom floor of her house.

She and her neighbours were at the care center until Sunday morning, when soldiers in boats rescued them from a second-floor balcony.

Chatty and cheerful despite the tragedy, she nonetheless welled up as she described her home.

“I got married here, and we built this house two years afterward. We raised our three small sons to adulthood here, there are so many memories.”

But she has resolved that any insurance money she gets for the house, which she renovated only a few years ago after taking out a loan, will not go to reconstruction.

Instead, she wants to give the money to one of her three sons, so they can repair their own homes, and she hopes to move in with them.

“I am alive. I believe human beings are very strong. Resilient,” she said, tears filling her eyes.

“I am not alone in this situation. All of my neighbours are in the same position. All of Mabi is the same.”

AFP

Wizkid To Join “The Future Hndrxx Tour”

Nigerian singer and songwriter Ayodeji Ibrahim Balogun popularly known as Wizkid will be embarking on an international tour with American rapper and songwriter, Future. 

The tour which is Future’s second this year is tagged “The Future Hndrxx Tour.”

Future is currently on a “Nobody’s Safe Tour” which started since May 4 and will come to an end on June 30.

The rapper will launch his new run of live dates as a headliner at Summerfest in Milwaukee on July 8 before he heads overseas.

The 34-date tour then takes him to Portugal and he will perform his first-ever shows in Africa July 21 in Mozambique and July 22 in Tanzania.

Wizkid who will be dropping his “Sounds From The Other Side” Mixtape on July 8, 2017, has made several special appearances such as on Tinie Tempah’s tour of the UK in 2014 where he was invited as a special guest and Chris Brown’s “One Hell of a Nite” world tour in May 2016.

‘I Bet’ Ciara Oozes Sex Appeal In Ballet Themed Video

Ciara in I Bet videoSinger Ciara has released the visual interpretation for her single ‘I Bet’, where she performs as a sexy, emotionally torn ballerina.

The singer whose engagement to Future was called off due to his alleged infidelity, showed off her post baby body and bet her baby daddy will “start loving me, soon as I start loving someone else”.

In Ciara’s lyrics, she hinted at some other issues that may have torn the relationship apart, promising she will find someone else to love.

In the video, which has now been watched over a million times on youtube, Ciara bares her soul, talks about loving her Ex, her pain, his greed and much more.

Watch here:

Environmentalist recommends buffer dams as solution to flooding

An Environmentalist, Idowu Salami on Wednesday recommended that the Federal Government should review the design of the variouse dams in Nigeria and identify areas where buffers can be constructed.

Mr Salami, who was a guest on Channels Television’s breakfast programme, Sunrise Daily said the recent flooding in Kogi state and other parts of Nigeria was a result of heavy rainfall as well as the release of water from some hydroelectricity dams.

In the video below, the environmentalist offered several other solution that can help prevent devastating floods.

Flooding: Saraki recommends more funding for NEMA

The Chairman Senate Committee on Environment, Bukola Saraki on Tuesday recommended that more fund should be allocated to the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) to enable the agency provide succour for Nigerians affected by disasters.

Speaking against the backdrop of the recent flooding that ravaged parts of Kogi State, Mr Saraki said NEMA currently does not have the resources to cater for the over half a million persons that have been displaced by the flood.

Watch the video below for the full interview:

 

Drogba tags Torres ‘The Future’ of Chelsea

Exit-bound Stamford Bridge striker; Didier Drogba has anointed Fernando Torres as the next forward man to shine next season with Chelsea after he finally confirmed his exit from the club today.

The Spaniard was described by the Ivorien as the next big thing that will emerge from Chelsea.

Drogba who was the hero during the Champions League Final played in Munich as Chelsea emerged first time winners of the title, scored the equalising goal and the penalty shot that sealed victory for the Stamford Bridge confirmed his exit from Stamford Bridge just four days after said he really doesn’t know why he was never paired with the Spaniard upfront more often.

Torres, signed for £50m from Liverpool in January 2011, has failed to hold down a regular starting spot in his first full season in west London and earlier this week said he wants reassurances over his role at the club from Chelsea’s owners.

But Drogba, 34, is convinced the Spain striker will stay at Stamford Bridge and has backed him to shine next season.

The Ivorien said his relationship with Torres is very good but he’s still bothered why they weren’t paired on field most time which said he is leaving in the past because he is moving on.

Giving his opinion on what he feels about Torres’ fitness this season he said it’s been a difficult season for him but he showed in a few games but he is very sure that next season is going to be his season for he is the future here at Stamford Bridge.

“We have a very good relationship and we didn’t understand why we didn’t play together more, but that’s the past.