Kaduna Killings: Agwai Appointed Chairman Of Security Committee

kaduna governorKaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, has appointed the former Chief of Defence Staff, LT General Martin Luther Agwai, as Chairman of a security committee set up by the state government to recommend ways to stamp out attacks on communities in the southern part of the state.

According to a statement issued on Saturday by the Governor’s Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Samuel Aruwan, the committee is part of the government’s multidimensional approach in finding lasting solutions to the killings in the area, which have continued since the post-election violence of 2011.

The committee’s terms of reference are to identify the socio-political and economic factors that promote existing conflicts in Southern Kaduna and advise on measures to be taken by the government to address them,

The committee will also explore ways of finding mutual solutions that engender reconciliation between communities in Southern Kaduna and also advise the government on how the villages and communities of Southern Kaduna would be free from attacks bedevilling it.

It has 30 days to complete its assignment and submit its report.

The chairman of the committee, Mr Agwai, is presently serving as a United Nations envoy in Sudan.

On Thursday, 13 people were killed and 15 others critically wounded in separate attacks at two local government areas of the state.

The governor had earlier disclosed that a security committee which would include traditional rulers and other critical stakeholders would soon be established by the state government in order to work out the specific roles for traditional rulers towards the maintenance of peace and security in the state.

Tinubu Advocates Amnesty For Boko Haram

The National Leader of Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN), Asiwaju Bola Tinubu,has urged the federal government to include negotiation and amnesty in its move to address the Boko Haram insurgency.

Mr. Tinubu who said that the application of force alone will only made the situation worse has disagreed with President Jonathan’s stance on amnesty for the fundamentalists, saying that amnesty must be based on justice, particularly for those with no blood stains on their hands.

The former governor of Lagos state made this known during his visit to the Emir of Kano, Alhaji Ado Bayero, to commiserate the failed attack on him earlier in the year.

In a recent visit to Borno state, President Jonathan had declared no amnesty for the religious extremists who he described as ‘ghosts.’

“I support the granting of amnesty to the sect but with some conditions, which include justice for those people with blood in their hands because it would go a long way in discouraging such dastardly acts in future” he added.

“For the innocent ones among them, there must be amnesty. We cannot fight a war in our own country against minor crimes and minor people. We would only end up multiplying these people by trying to use force against our own citizens.”

“I therefore disagree with the President; they are not ghosts” he said.

He however said that members of the insurgent group who engage in criminal activities should be brought to justice.

He further noted that granting amnesty to the sect is inevitable if the country is to avoid a devastating war, stating that “we cannot afford to fight another war in our own country.”

Mr Tinubu also blamed the security challenges of the country on the duplication of ministries related to the Police affairs which he says has rendered efforts of the Inspector General of Police, M.D. Abubakar ineffective.

“It is the responsibility of the president to protect lives and properties of Nigerians and ensure stability of the country. If he is not capable of doing this, then he should resign as president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

“President Jonathan cannot continue to blame one Inspector General of Police, after another. It is the responsibility of the President to ensure that unity and peace prevail in the country and that we are not divided by tribal and religion differences,” Tinubu said.

“Again, we‘ll equally look at the police to see if for every action taken there is justification and punishment for those who committed crimes against humanity.”

The former governor said it is regrettable that some Nigerians are feeding on the conflict, claiming that it gives them unhindered access to country’s security vote, hence they would ensure that there was no end to it.

“I am convinced that the Boko Haram conflict is sponsored and promoted by some highly placed people for economic reasons, while others try to polarise it along political divides” he stated.

 

 

FG Wants Boko Haram Insurgency To Continue – El Rufai

Former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nasir El-Rufai has accused the Federal Government  of wanting the Boko Haram insurgency to continue for selfish reasons.

Speaking on Channels Television’s breakfast programme, Sunrise Daily, Mr El-Rufai faulted President Goodluck Jonathan’s statement suggesting that members of the Boko Haram group are ghosts.

He said, “over a thousand Boko Haram operatives are in the custody of the SSS here in Abuja,” hence the Government cannot claim to not know who the terrorists are. He added that he knows the government has a lot of information about the Islamist group.

“What is lacking is the will to address this issue. I think the government just wants this to continue because it is profitable for the security agencies to have huge budgets, most of which is stolen.” He said.

The former minister also said that the government which has over time requested the help of people such as himself, the Sultan of Sokoto and the Borno Elder’s Council, in talking to the extremist group has also accused them of being ‘Boko Haram Sympathisers.’

Watch the video below for the complete interview with Mr El-Rufai

Jonathan Should Have Challenged Borno Elders – Security Analyst

An Abuja based Security Consultant, Max Gbanite, while speaking on the Security Situation in Nigeria, said that President Goodluck Jonathan should have challenged the Borno Elder’s Council instead of making a comment, he deemed inappropriate.

He said on Channels Television’s breakfast programme, Sunrise daily, that “the situation in North East (Nigeria) is deteriorating and we need to act fast and the president needs to act faster.”

Mr. Gbanite who commended the President for visiting Borno, described the killing of the foreign hostages held by the Ansaru sect as appalling and said it is indicative of the commitment of the group to their cause, which is the destabilization of the country.

“This is unacceptable,” he said. “We must collectively stop this from happening… therefore; we need the international cooperation that is required …for the team of Nigerian JTF to be able to do their work effectively.”

He maintained that the members of the Borno Elders Council know who the Boko Haram members are and that the Federal Government should have challenged the council to tell their sons to surrender their arms as opposed to telling them that the government cannot deal with ghosts.

He stated that President Jonathan’s comment indicates that the JTF has been killing people other than Boko Haram members, this he blamed on the President’s advisers.