Zamfara School Abduction: Mob Attack Journalists

 

A mob on Friday attacked a vehicle conveying journalists travelling to Government Girls Secondary School, Jangebe, Zamfara State.

Schoolgirls numbering 317 were abducted from the school in the early hours of Friday.

Youth who were angry as a result of the abduction created roadblocks inside Jangebe town and attacked the vehicles conveying journalists.

Journalists crew from Channels TV, TVC, Daily Trust, News Agency of Nigeria, and Thunder Blowers Multi-Media services were in the vehicle that was attacked.

READ ALSO: School Abductions: Education Is Under Attack In Northern Nigeria – Amnesty International

The angry youths hurled stones at the vehicles and smashed part of the vehicle, causing injury on one of the cameramen, Babangida Calipha.

The situation at Jangebe community is tensed as residents have mobilised themselves blocking security operatives, journalists, and government officials from getting access to the main town.

In reaction to the abduction of the schoolgirls, the Zamfara Police Commissioner, Abutu Yaro said a joint search and rescue operation is already underway with a view to rescuing them.

Yaro added that the Force Commander Operations Hadarin Daji, Major General Aminu Bande, Brigade Commander 1 Brigade, Nigeria Army Gusau, and other state government officials led a heavily armed re-enforcement team to Jangebe to complement the ongoing rescue operation in the locations where the students were believed to have been whisked to.

Chibok Girls’ Release: We Will Not Fall For Fraudsters, FG Says

chibok girlsThe Nigerian government says it will not fall for the antics of fraudsters asking the Federal Government for money to negotiate the release of the Chibok girls.

President Muhammadu Buhari made the statement on Friday while reiterating that the rescue and return of the remaining Chibok girls abducted on April 14, 2014, by members of the Boko Haram terrorist group remains a priority of his administration.

The girls were taken from their dormitory in Government Girls’ Secondary School in Chibok a community in Borno State in northeast Nigeria while they were preparing for their final year examinations.

Receiving the Primate and Archbishops of the Church of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) at the State House, President Buhari said that his administration would continue to insist on a thorough authentication of the identities of any persons or groups claiming to have custody of the girls before entering into negotiations with them.

Anglican Bishops
The bishops are optimistic that things will improve in Nigeria in the next one year

The President, however, assured the Anglican Bishops of his steadfast commitment to the rescuing of the Chibok girls, saying that their safe return will be one of his greatest fulfilments in office as President.

Clean-up Of Ogoniland

In a statement by his spokesman, Femi Adesina, President Buhari also assured the clerics that the Federal Government would give maximum attention to the clean-up of Ogoniland which was launched on Thursday.

“We inherited the United Nations Environmental Project report from the previous administration. We decided it needed urgent attention, in spite of the economic crunch because of our concern for the welfare and environmental comfort of the people of Ogoniland,” he said.

Earlier in his remarks, the Primate of the Church of Nigeria (Anglican Communion), Most Reverend Nicholas Okoh, pledged the support of the church in helping the Federal Government achieve its objectives of improving security and the welfare of Nigerians.

Braithwaite Calls For Suspension Of 2015 General Elections

Tunji_braithwaiteA former presidential candidate, Dr. Tunji Braithwaite on Wednesday said that should be no election in 2015 unless the Chibok girls kidnapped in April from Government Girls Secondary School, Chibok are released.

Mr Braithwaite who was amongst other activists at a rally held at the Event Garden in Lagos as part of activities to mark 100 days of captivity of the girls, condemned the manner at which politicians go about their electioneering activities in the face of insecurity in the country.

He said “all they are doing is spending money and resources on who becomes the next president or Senator” adding that “we should not allow the that; there should be no elections if the girls do not come home and if we do not have a brand new constitution”, he said.

He further noted that “Nigeria is not 100 years, no, no, no. Nigeria as a nation is only about 53 years, a failed nation for that matter, but the people of this country must use this occasion of the 100 days of abduction of our daughters to do something, I am not interested in rallying.

“I am interested in action. I am an old man but I am still fighting. And I will fight till the end of my days because if you don’t fight you will be crushed. I want this generation to decide, it got nothing do with Jonathan. I want Nigerians to decide, are we going to conduct 2015 election while these girls are still in captivity? Answer. Noooo.

“Let them begin to hear that now that all the preparation for 2015 election will come to nothing unless we bring the girls back, unless we stop corruption in this nation”, he added.

The Bring Back Our Girls campaigners today held a series of events around the world to mark 100 days since over 200 girls were abducted from a school in Chibok, Borno State by the Boko Haram sect.

The Group said the events were meant to heighten its demand to the federal government to deploy resources to rescue the girls who have been in Boko Haram captivity since April 14.

The Bring Back Our Girls Campaign has focused on creating awareness of the abduction to ensure that it is a priority issue requiring action and compelling the right sets of action for a positive outcome.

“We have engaged various stakeholders – the Presidency, the National Assembly, the office of the National Security Adviser, the Chief of Defense Staff, the Borno State Government and other State Governments, ECOWAS member countries and UN agencies to name a few”, said a statement jointly signed by leaders of the movement from different parts of the country.

Troops Kill At Least 50 Terrorists In Borno

Troops of 7 Division Nigerian Army advancing for the operation

Troops conducting anti-terrorists operations in North-Eastern Nigeria have successfully averted attempted massive raid on villages in Borno and Adamawa States during the weekend, killing at least 50 terrorists. 

The terrorists who were on their way to attack selected communities were ambushed by troops along Bilta, Borno State on receiving intelligence report of the terrorists’ intention.

A statement by the spokesman for the military, Major General Chris Olukolade, said the attack was launched on the terrorists as they filed out of the forest to embark on their mission at about 10:00pm on Saturday.

“Over 50 terrorists died in the fierce encounter that ensued, while 30 rifles, 36 Hand Grenades, seven Machine guns and 11 Rocket Propelled grenade tubes were captured by the troops,” the statement read.

Also recovered from the terrorists were over 3,500 rounds of ammunition, six smoke grenade canisters and locally fabricated guns as well as four vehicles used by the terrorists in the foiled attack.

According to the statement, four soldiers were wounded in the operation and they are currently receiving medical treatment at a military medical facility.

The military are carrying out anti-terror campaign in the northeast against the terrorist group, Boko Haram that has carried out series of attacks on villages, schools and churches in the region. The are demanding for an Islamist state and an end to western education in the region.

The most hit state in the region is Borno State, with over 200 girls abducted on April 14 from the dormitory of Government Girls Secondary School in Chibok.

Military troops are still trying to rescue the girls who a military chief said their location was known.

The leader of the terrorist group, Abubakar Shekau, said in a video of the girls released last month that the girls would be released in exchange of the group members held in different detention camps across Nigeria.

The abduction of the girls sparked protest across Nigeria and other parts of the world, drawing international interest, with heightened  support for the Nigerian government in the fight against terrorism.