Chibok Girls: Presidency Labels Release ‘A Show Of Faith’

Chibok Girls, Boko Haram, PresidencyNigeria’s Presidency has described the release of 21 out of the over 200 Chibok girls kidnapped by Boko Haram terrorists as ‘a show of faith’ on the part of the insurgents.

Mr Femi Adesina, who is a spokesman for President Muhammadu Buhari, clears the air on the release which had triggered rumours that it was a swap deal between the Nigerian government and the terrorist group.

He told Channels Television on Friday that the development was a confidence building step that would lead to bigger things.

“I have heard and read so much about what we gave and what we didn’t give.

“This is just a confidence building step that will lead to bigger things.

“In the past, there have been many of such meetings that would have led to releases but along the line, discussions broke down.

“Maybe they (the terrorists) trust the (new) process and they believe that they do this as a show of their trust and faith and believe.

“For now, what we have been told is that there was no swap and the girls were released just as a show of faith, a confidence building measure and I think it is good enough for us to believe,” he said.

“Many More Releases”

Mr Adesina asserted that there would be more releases, describing the freedom of the 21 girls as a giant leap for humanity.

“As we have been told, this is just one step which I will also call a giant leap for humanity.

“You can be sure that there will be many more releases and as many of the girls that are alive would definitely return to their parents,” he said.

chibok-girls-released1
Some of the rescued Chibok girls

End Of Insurgency

The President’s spokesman says the government is winning the war against the dreaded insurgents, stressing that they have been largely degraded.

“They used to attack army formations, police formations, schools (and) different types of target but they don’t do that anymore because their capacity to do that has been largely degraded.

“I think a lot of progress has been made (and) we can simply say we are at the end of this insurgency and this is just the mopping up process,” said Adesina on Sunrise Daily.

At least 200 girls were abducted by the Boko Haram terrorists from their hostels at the Government Secondary School, Chibok in Borno State on April 14, 2014.

In the heat of the over six-year insurgency, Borno State, in northeast Nigeria became a strong hold of the dreaded insurgents.

Since the abduction of the girls, pressure has been mounted on the Federal Government to rescue them, including demands for a swap with members of Boko Haram in detention.

After much push for the girls’ release, 21 of them were freed on Thursday.

The Minister of Information and Culture, Mr Lai Mohammed, confirmed the release of the 21 girls.

recession
Minister of Information and Culture, Mr Lai Mohammed, confirmed the release of 21 Chibok girls

He stated categorically that the release was not a swap, but was achieved through the collaborative efforts of the security agencies, a friendly European country and a renowned International Humanitarian Organisation.

In their reaction, the #BringBackBackOurGirls Campaign Group welcomed news of the release of the Chibok girls while praising the military for the efforts so far.

The group said in a statement that the “wonderful development” confirmed what was known about the effort of the government to rescue the Chibok girls.

They added that while they await further details, they salute the work of Nigeria’s security services at the front lines and the tireless efforts of members of the Multi-National Joint Task Force and the Civilian JTF.

Nigerian Government Launches Fresh Bid To Free Chibok Girls

Boko Haram video on chibok girlsA fresh bid has been launched by the Nigerian government to rescue the missing Chibok schoolgirls two years after they were taken from their school’s dormitory.

The Minister of Information, Mr Lai Mohammed, gave a hint about the fresh bid to rescue the Chibok girls abducted by members of the Boko Haram terrorists group on April 14, 2014.

Infighting Among Boko Haram

Mr Mohammed said that previous efforts to rescue the girls were frustrated by infighting among Boko Haram terrorists and middle men, who according to the minister exploited the process for pecuniary gains.

Over 200 female students were kidnapped from the Government Secondary School in the town of Chibok in Borno State, in northeast Nigeria, a strong hold of the terrorist group in the heat of the over six-year insurgency.

Since the abduction of the girls, pressure has been mounted on the Federal Government to rescue them, including demands for a swap with members of Boko Haram in detention.

Their abduction at that time triggered protests in different countries, making popular a slogan #BringBackOurGirls.

Prisoners Swap Request

Recently, the terrorist group released a video of the girls still in their custody and requested for prisoners swap.

After that video was released, some parents of the girls asked the government to swap the girls with the members of the sect in detention as requested.

Weeks after they made the request, President Muhammadu Buhari said the government was willing to swap the girls.

But he said the swap would be on a condition that the terrorist group would list those they wanted released and then come out to discuss with the Federal Government.

He stressed that the Federal Government would want the girls out safe without any harm done to them.

For over six years, Boko Haram has pushed for the establishment of Islamic State in the northeast and an end to Western education.

Recent military onslaught against the group has sacked them from most communities they had taken hold of within Nigeria’s territory and border towns between Cameroon, Chad and Niger Republic.

Rescued Girl

Members of the Bring Back Our Girls group, have continued to push for the rescue of the Chibok girls and increase military counter-terrorism operations in the region to rescue the girls that have been missing since two years.

Amina_State_House
Amina Ali rescued from Boko Haram with a child recently said she was missing her husband

One of the girls, Amina Ali, who was rescued some months back, had been married off to one of the terrorists, that had settled at a haven – Sambisa Forest. She had a baby for him.

Her husband had told the military that they had been forced out of the forest by hunger.

While the government is launching a new bid for the rescue of the military is heightening operations to clear the remnants of terrorists in the northeast and ensure safety of residents that have started to return to their communities from their Internally Displaced Persons camps.

F.G Reacts To Chibok Girls Video Release

Boko HaramThe Federal Government has said it is doing everything possible to secure the release of the Chibok girls, and put an end to the horrible saga of their abduction.

Reacting to the latest video of some of the girls, the Minister of Information
and Culture, Lai Mohammed, said in a statement on Sunday in Abuja
that the government is in touch with those purportedly behind the video.

”We are on top of the situation. But we are being extremely careful
because the situation has been compounded by the split in the leadership of
Boko Haram. We are also being guided by the need to ensure the safety of
the girls.

”Since this is not the first time we have been contacted over the
issue, we want to be sure that those we are in touch with are who they claim
to be,” he said.

Mr. Mohammed expressed hope that the latest development will signal the end of their nightmare, their families and indeed all Nigerians that have been subjected, since the unfortunate abduction.

A new video on the Chibok Girls has reportedly been released by the terrorist group Boko Haram, appearing to show some of the schoolgirls they abducted from Chibok in Borno state, Northeast Nigeria over two years ago.

Cross River State Flags-off Smart School Programme

samsung smart school1-1The Cross River State Government has commenced its Smart School Programme as part of measures to ensure that secondary schools in the state are Information and Communication Technology (ICT) compliant and fully digitized.

With a pilot scheme at Government Secondary School, State Housing Estate, Calabar, the programme which is in partnership with a private sector will ensure that seven secondary schools spread across the state also benefit from the over N50 million worth of computer laboratory.

Flagging off the Smart School Programme, Cross River State Deputy Governor, Prof Ivara Esu, said the realization of the initiative followed the signing of an MoU some months ago.

He charged the beneficiaries to use the facilities wisely in order to meet the demands of the 21st century technology, as the partnership is also expected to give rise to the establishment of a Samsung Technology Academy in Cross River state.

Making the presentation , Head, Enterprise & IT Business of the firm, Rotimi Agbola, affirmed that the initiative will make quality education delivery a reality in the state and further emphasized that the project will focus on training the trainers.

“Education is a human right and it is something Samsung takes Seriously. We also believe that, Cross River State and Samsung Electronics share same goal in improving education, hence our smart school and global lining concept is going to impact on the lives of the people”, he said.

The school is expected to focus on the training of 50 teachers in basic computer literacy, provision of teachers with access to tools, empowerment of teachers to access digital contents as well as conducting assessment of students progress.

Chibok Abduction: Four More Missing Girls Return To Parents

Protesting-women-Chibok-GirlsFour of 223 schoolgirls missing following an attack and abduction by Boko Haram at Government Secondary School in Chibok have reunited with their parents, Borno’s commissioner for Education, Musa Inuwa Kubo informed the Presidential Fact finding committee on Chibok attack, when he made a presentation last week in Maiduguri.

Kubo, who appeared ‎before the committee on Friday at the committee’s sitting in Maiduguri, said the four girls were discovered after Governor Kashim Shettima directed the Ministry of Education to open data pages for families of all the girls which should include names and pictures of the girls, class, age etc as well the pictures of parents.

It was during the data capturing and visits to parents that it was discovered that four girls who were among those declared missing had reunited with their parents but the parents failed to inform the school authority.

The Commissioner told the committee that with the discovery of the four girls, a total of 219 girls were still missing.

He informed the committee that after the April 14, 2014 attack on the school, the State Government had made series of announcements calling on parents whose daughters might have ran home following the attack to bring them back so the Government could take record to ascertain the number of missing girls.

Many parents brought back their kids while others who escaped from captivity were also reunited with the school.

 

Abduction of Chibok Girls An Attack on All Nigerians – Amosun

The Ogun State Governor, Ibikunle Amosun
The Ogun State Governor, Ibikunle Amosun

The Ogun State Governor, Ibikunle Amosun, has described the abduction of  female students of the Government Secondary School, Chibok, Borno State by the Boko Haram sect as an attack on every Nigerian.

Speaking at an Inter-denominational Prayer session organized by the state for the release of the abducted students to mark the 2014 Children’s Day, the Governor also said that the continued abduction of the girls was unacceptable.

The State Government, which had said that the Children’s Day celebration would not be marked with the usual fanfare, gathered children and religious leaders at the MKO Abiola Stadium, Kuto, Abeokuta to offer prayers for the release of the girls.

Touched as he watched the children crying to God, Amosun expressed concern over the prolonged abduction of the girls at the event tagged ‘Prayerful Children’s Day’, and described the dastardly act by the sect as an attempt to “hold the future of Nigeria” to ransom.

“Having watched this children here today with the talents and abilities they have displayed here today, I ask myself how can anybody be against this children?” he said.

The Governor commended the efforts of the security agencies towards ensuring the freedom of the girls, adding that although there were still lots of challenges to deal with, they need the support of the leaders and every Nigerian.

He assured the citizens of the state, particularly the children that his administration would continue to ensure their safety, advising the children to eschew all forms of social vices and acts that are capable of bringing the state and nation into disrepute.

On her part, the wife of the Governor, Mrs. Olufunso Amosun, while regretting that the fun and warmth that characterizes the Children’s Day had been painfully affected  by the abduction of the Chibok girls, assured the children that the mothers would continue to pray and give necessary support that would aid the quick release of their fellows.

Also the Speaker of the State Children Parliament, Miss Seun Jayeola, called on the President and the state governments to do all within their powers to ensure the safe release of the abducted girls and also give priority to child education and rights in Nigeria.

Cameroon Sends Troops To Nigeria Border To Tackle Boko Haram

Cameroonian ArmyCameroon has deployed about 1,000 troops and armoured vehicles to its border region with Nigeria as it steps up its military presence to counter a rising threat from Boko Haram Islamist militants.

Spokesman of the Cameroonian Ministry of Defence, Lieutenant-Colonel Didier Badjeck, said that about 1,000 Special Forces of Cameroon’s Rapid Intervention Brigade (BIR) left the capital on Monday.

Lieutenant Badjeck added that several new generation armored vehicles were deployed three days earlier.

The Cameroon Defence Spokesman added that their mission would be to carry out reconnaissance and be ready to respond with enough fire power.

According to Lieutenant Badjeck, the deployment is part of Cameroon’s effort to increase its military presence in the border region.

The Nigerian President, Goodluck Jonathan, had flown to Pretoria, South Africa on Friday, May 23 for high-level discussions with other African Heads of State and Government on combating terrorism in Africa.

The Government has been under pressure from Nigerians seeking a solution to the state of insecurity in the country, particularly since the abduction of over 200 schoolgirls from Government Secondary School, Chibok, Borno State by the Boko Haram sect.

The abduction of the schoolgirls has drawn wide condemnation from the international community, with some countries offering support in the search for the girls.

Nigeria Asks U.N. Al Qaeda Committee To Blacklist Boko Haram

The logo of the United Nations is seen on the outside of their headquarters in New YorkThere are strong indications that the Federal Government of Nigeria has formally asked the U.N. Security Council Al Qaeda Sanctions Committee, to blacklist the Islamist militant group, Boko Haram, after the kidnapping of hundreds of schoolgirls.

U.N. diplomats said that if there is no objection by the 15-member council committee, which operates by consensus, Boko Haram would be sanctioned on Thursday this week.

The diplomats, however, added that it would be difficult to object to such a request by Nigeria.

The document submitted by Nigeria to support its blacklisting request was said to have referenced a bomb attack on the United Nations’ Nigeria headquarters on August 26, 2011 that killed 24 people.

It also describes a “campaign of violence against Nigerian schools and students” by the group and referenced other attacks on schools in 2013, according to the diplomats.

Since April 2014, Nigerian authorities have been searching for more than 200 schoolgirls, who were kidnapped by the Boko Haram sect from Government Secondary School in Chibok, Borno State, in Northern Nigeria.

Since the girls’ abduction which has generated wide global condemnation and campaigns, tagged ‘Bring Back Our Girls’, the group has continued to carry out different deadly attacks in the Northern part of the country.