Hajj Stampede Death Toll Rises To 222

HajjDeath toll from the hajj stampede in Mina Saudi Arabia has hit 222.

An official of the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria, (NAHCON), Dr. Ibrahim Kana, told journlists in Abuja on Monday that after reconciliation it has now been confirmed that 222 Nigerians actually died.

There have been conflicting reports on the number of deaths but with this clarification, issues surrounding the number of those who died in the September 24 stampede may have been laid to rest.

Dr. Ibrahim Kana said that the majority of those who died have been buried while 130 pilgrims are still missing.

The National Hajj Commission of Nigeria, through its Commissioner, Planning and Research, Dr Saleh Okenwa, had earlier put the number at 199, stating that 121 pilgrims were still missing.

At least 717 pilgrims were killed on September 24 in a crush at Mina, outside the Muslim Holy City of Mecca, where two million people were performing the annual Hajj pilgrimage, Saudi authorities said.

At least 450 others were injured in the stampede, which took place on Street 204 of the camp city at Mina, a few kilometers east of Mecca, where pilgrims stay for several days during the climax of the Hajj.

Death Toll From Hajj Stampede Hits 199

hajjThe National Hajj Commission of Nigeria has again cleared the air on the number of Nigerians that died in the stampede in Saudi Arabia.

According to the Commissioner, Planning and Research, Dr Saleh Okenwa, so far, 199 people have been confirmed dead while undergoing the exercise in Saudi Arabia.

He told reporters in Abuja on Monday that 121 pilgrims were still missing.

Giving the breakdown of the dead, he said Sokoto lost 79 pilgrims, 59 missing in Kano while 20 pilgrims from Kano have been certified dead.

He listed other states affected as Adamawa, Borno, the Federal Capital Territory, Gombe and Kaduna.

Also affected are Katsina, Kebbi, Nasarawa, Niger, Ogun and Ondo.

Others States on the list are Plateau, Rivers, Taraba, Yobe and Zamfara.

At least 717 pilgrims were killed on September 24 in a crush at Mina, outside the Muslim Holy City of Mecca, where two million people are performing the annual Hajj pilgrimage, Saudi authorities said.

At least 450 others were injured in the stampede, which took place on Street 204 of the camp city at Mina, a few kilometers east of Mecca, where pilgrims stay for several days during the climax of the Hajj.

Hajj Stampede: 99 Nigerians Died, 215 Missing In Mecca – NAHCON

HajjThe National Hajj Commission of Nigeria, NAHCON has confirmed that 99 Nigerian pilgrims died, 42 were injured and 214 others are missing in the September 24 Hajj stampede in Mina, Saudi Arabia.

The agency’s Commissioner, Planning, Research, Statistic Information and Library Service, Dr. Saleh Okenwa, said that the total number of Nigerians affected in the incident is presently 355.

Dr. Okenwa insisted that those missing cannot be declared dead, since identification of those affected were still being collated by the Saudi Arabia health authorities in conjunction with Nigerian and other nations’ health officials.

He went on to give the breakdown of the victims as 73 deaths from the state pilgrims welfare boards, agencies and commissions, while the remaining 26 are from the tour operators.

Hajj Stampede: Iran Victims’ Bodies Repatriated

hajj stampede victims arrive iranIran has begun receiving its dead as the first bodies of pilgrims killed in a stampede during the annual hajj pilgrimage in mecca have arrived back in the capital Tehran.

The ceremony saw 104 bodies returned home from Saudi Arabia. Iran says at least 464 of its nationals were killed.

The Saudi authorities put the total death toll at 769, but foreign media reports and officials put the figure at well over 1,000.

Tehran had blamed the incident on Saudi “mismanagement”.

But Saudi Arabia’s Foreign Minister, Adel Al-Jubeir, had accused Iran of “playing politics” with the disaster, calling on Tehran to await the outcome of an investigation.

Speaking at the repatriation ceremony, Iranian President, Hassan Rouhani, said that the tragedy was a “big test” for everyone. “In this incident, our language has been that of fraternity and respect”, he said.

“When required, we have used the language of diplomacy. If needed, the Islamic Republic of Iran will also use language of power.”

The crush happened as two large groups of pilgrims converged as they were taking part in one of the Hajj’s major rites.

The Saudi authorities have not released a breakdown of victims by nationality.

Hajj Stampede: Iran Death Toll Rises To 464

hajj pilgrims_1Iranian officials have said that the number of its citizens who died in the Hajj stampede in Saudi Arabia last week has reached 464 – nearly double the previous toll.

Authorities also said that there is no longer hope of finding any of the country’s missing pilgrims alive.

According to Saudi officials, 769 people died in the crush in Mina, near Mecca, and 934 were injured.

The Saudis have been criticised over their handling of security and for the slow publication of casualty figures.

Iranian officials alleged that the overall number of deaths is now more than 1,000.

Pakistan, India, and Indonesia have also suggested death toll may be higher than the 769 reported by Saudi Arabia.

The crush occurred as two large groups of pilgrims converged at right angles on the way to taking part in one of the Hajj’s major rites at the Jamarat Pillars.