Peru emerged as a global COVID-19 hotspot on Tuesday as the health ministry registered more than 200,000 cases, ranking the South American country as the eighth-highest in the world by number of infections.
The death toll rose to 5,738 and the total number of infections climbed to 203,736, an increase of more than 4,000 cases from the previous day.
The ministry said 167 people had died from COVID-19 in the past 24 hours.
The figures show Peru as second only to Brazil as Latin America’s worst-affected country by number of overall cases, and third after Brazil and Mexico in terms of deaths.
The economy, one of the region’s highest performing until February, has largely ground to a halt during a 12-week lockdown ordered by President Martin Vizcarra.
Textile unions have demanded the government begin opening up the industry so production and exports can resume.
Mexico’s health ministry said the country has confirmed three cases of the coronavirus, becoming the second Latin American nation reached by the global outbreak.
The three men — two in Mexico City and one in the northern state of Sinaloa — are all believed to have visited northern Italy, the epicenter of the virus in Europe.
“Probably all three were infected from the same source. All three are imported cases,” Jose Luis Alomia, general director of epidemiology at the Ministry of Health, said at a press conference Friday.
Senior health ministry official Hugo Lopez-Gatell told a separate news conference that one of the men, a 35-year-old in the capital, “has a mild, mild illness” with symptoms “similar to that of a cold”.
“He is a young individual and so he is at very low risk,” he said.
The patient and five members of his family have been isolated at the National Institute of Respiratory Diseases, Lopez-Gatell added.
The second case, a 41-year-old man who returned from Bergamo in Italy, is in isolation at a hotel in Sinaloa after being tested by regional authorities, officials said.
A 59-year-old man in Mexico City who also visited northern Italy is the third case but authorities did not say whether he had been hospitalized.
Italy has recorded 650 cases of the coronavirus and 17 deaths across cities in the north.
In Mexico, two more, suspected cases are under analysis in the central state of Guanajuato and one in northwestern Durango.
“It is not a national or health emergency,” Lopez-Gatell said, urging Mexicans to remain calm and not panic-buy protective items such as masks.
Mexico is the second Latin American nation to confirm coronavirus infections after Brazil said it had a case on Wednesday.
More than 50 countries have now reported cases worldwide.
The virus has infected more than 85,000 people and over 2,900 have died — mostly in China where the epidemic started.
The Federal Ministry of Health has confirmed the first case of the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Nigeria.
Minister of Health, Dr Osagie Ehanire, confirmed the case in a statement issued in the early hours of Friday, February 28, 2020.
According to the statement, the case involves an Italian citizen who works in Nigeria and just returned from Milan, Italy on the 25th of February 2020.
He was confirmed to be positive by the Virology Laboratory of the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, part of the Laboratory Network of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC).
The ministry, however, noted that the patient is clinically stable, with no serious symptoms, and is being managed at the Infectious Disease Hospital in Yaba, Lagos.
The Federal Ministry of Health has confirmed a coronavirus(Covid-19) case in Lagos State Nigeria. The case which was confirmed on 27/02/2020 is the first case to be reported in Nigeria since the beginning of the outbreak in China in January 2020 @WHO@BBCWorld#CoronaVirusUpdatespic.twitter.com/uF79NYzvAz
The Federal Ministry of Health has confirmed a coronavirus disease (COVID-19) case in Lagos State, Nigeria. The case, which was confirmed on the 27th of February 2020, is the first case to be reported in Nigeria since the beginning of the outbreak in China in January 2020.
The case is an Italian citizen who works in Nigeria and returned from Milan, Italy to Lagos, Nigeria on the 25th of February 2020. He was confirmed by the Virology Laboratory of the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, part of the Laboratory Network of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control. The patient is clinically stable, with no serious symptoms, and is being managed at the Infectious Disease Hospital in Yaba, Lagos.
The Government of Nigeria, through the Federal Ministry of Health has been strengthening measures to ensure an outbreak in Nigeria is controlled and contained quickly. The multi-sectoral Coronavirus Preparedness Group led by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has immediately activated its national Emergency Operations Centre and will work closely with Lagos State Health authorities to respond to this case and implement firm control measures.
I wish to assure all Nigerians that have we have been beefing up our preparedness capabilities since the first confirmation of cases in China, and we will use all the resources made available by the government to respond to this case.
We have already started working to identify all the contacts of the patient, since he entered Nigeria. Please be reminded that most people who become infected may experience only mild illness and recover easily, but it can be more severe in others, particularly the elderly and persons with other underlying chronic illnesses. All Nigerians should take care of their health and maintain hand and respiratory hygiene to protect themselves and others, including their own families, following the precautions below:
1. Regularly and thoroughly wash your hands with soap and water, and use alcohol-based hand sanitiser.
2. Maintain at least 1 & half metres (5 feet) distance between yourself and anyone who is coughing or sneezing.
3. Persons with persistent cough or sneezing should stay home or keep a social distance, but not mix in-crowd.
4. Make sure you and people around you, follow good respiratory hygiene, meaning cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or into your sleeve at the bent elbow or tissue when you cough or sneeze. Then dispose of the used tissue immediately.
5. Stay home if you feel unwell with symptoms like fever, cough and difficulty in breathing. Please call NCDC toll free number which is available day and night, for guidance- 0800-970000-10. Do not engage in self-medication.
6. Stay informed on the latest developments about COVID-19 through official channels on TV and Radio, including the Lagos State Ministry of Health, NCDC and Federal Ministry of Health.
Citizens must not abuse social media and indulge in spreading misinformation that causes fear and panic. The Federal Ministry of Health, through Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, will continue to provide updates and will initiate all measures required to prevent the spread of any outbreak in Nigeria.
Twenty-six people died of Ebola in a single day in the Democratic Republic of Congo’s North Kivu province, the highest daily toll since its outbreak nearly nine months ago, the health ministry said on Tuesday.
The current outbreak is the second deadliest on record, after the epidemic that struck West Africa in 2014-2016 and killed more than 11,300 people.
The health ministry it had counted 957 deaths in the country, of which 891 were confirmed cases and 66 suspected ones.
“There were 26 deaths from confirmed cases” on Sunday, April 28, in the northeastern North Kivu province, the ministry said in a statement.
It said of the total deaths of 957, 33 were health workers who had succumbed to the disease.
The DR Congo declared a tenth outbreak of Ebola in 40 years last August in North Kivu before the virus spread into the neighbouring Ituri region.
The epicentre was first located in the rural area of Mangina, but then switched to the town of Beni.
Local organisations say the number of Ebola deaths is rising.
Adding to the logistical hitches are a string of assaults on teams fighting the disease.
A Cameroonian doctor working for the World Health Organization (WHO), Richard Valery Mouzoko Kiboung, was shot dead on April 19.
“We will not be intimidated… we will finish our work,” said WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus during a visit to Nord-Kivu on Monday.
“Your security is our priority. We will do everything to protect you,” he added.
The Minister of Health has been giving an update on the outbreak of Lassa fever in different parts of the country, saying the disease has so far affected 20 states of the federation.
Professor Isaac Adewole addressed a press conference in the nation’s capital, Abuja, on Thursday.
“You will all recall that on the 8th of January 2016, I briefed the nation on the current outbreak of Lassa fever that started in December 2015 and which has now affected 20 states of the federation.
“As of today, Nigeria has recorded 176 cases with 108 deaths, giving a case fatality rate of 61.4%.
“It is important that I inform the nation that this current outbreak is under control as evident by decline in new suspected cases, new laboratory confirmed cases and newly reported cases by week.
“Despite this achievement however, you will all agree with me that it will be too dangerous for us as a nation to go complacent at this stage,” he said.
The Minister also dismissed fears about the possible outbreak of Zika virus in Nigeria, saying there is no need to worry.
“Although two African countries have reported Zika infection in the recent outbreak and in the past many others, causal relationship between Zika virus infection, birth defect and neurological syndromes have not been established in this continent.
“Nigerian scientist working in Western Nigeria in 1954 discovered Zika Virus in Nigeria. Further studies in the years 1975 to 1979 show that 40% of Nigerian adults and 25% of Nigerian children have antibodies to Zika Virus, meaning they are protected against this virus.”
The Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has appealed for more funding to help it carry out its mandate of checking financial crimes in the country.
This appeal was made by the chairman of the commission, Mr Ibrahim Magu, when he appeared before the House of Representatives Committee on Financial Crimes to defend the commission’s 2016 budget.
“I very much believe that even if you’re going to give us everything we have asked for, it will not be adequate but considering the situation we are, there is nothing we can do,” he said.
The EFCC Chairman was also questioned on the agency’s decision to investigate different sectors of the economy.
As work continues on the 2016 budget that is before the National Assembly, committees have been meeting with the representatives of the different arms of the executive to put finishing touches to the over 6 trillion naira budget.
The Minister of Health also brought this same appeal for more funding when he appeared before the Senate Committee on Health.
Prof. Isaac Adewole raised the issue of shortfall in the ministry’s budget.
“When we looked at the budget including submissions from the teaching hospitals, medical centres and agencies, it came down to 347 billion and we got only 335.7 which is about 10%.”
He also touched on the Zika virus that is becoming a global concern, “I want to say that Zika has been with since 1954. About 25% of Nigerians are positive to Zika virus but what has happened is that it has done nothing to us,” he said, while explaining the need for more action.
The Committee on Local Content also scrutinized the budget of the Nigerian Content Development and Monitoring Board while the Committee on Science and Technology is also holding its meeting with agencies under its committee.
A lot of the committees are still expected to appear before the 2016 budget would be presented to the House in plenary.
Conflicting death toll have been reported after stampede and clashes on Sunday, between police and supporters of Egypt’s Zamalek football club at a game in Cairo, the capital city of Egypt.
While some sources said at least 22 persons were killed, other sources said 40 were killed, with dozens injured.
The reason for the discrepancy in numbers between the health ministry and the public prosecutor’s office was not immediately clear.
Most of the dead were suffocated when the crowd scampered for safety after police used tear gas to clear the fans trying to force their way into a league match between two Cairo clubs, Zamalek and Enppi, medics and witnesses said.
Soccer matches are often a flash-point for violence in Egypt where 72 fans were killed at a match in Port Said in February 2012. Since then, Egypt has curbed the number of people allowed to attend and supporters have often tried to storm stadiums they are banned from entering.
Outside the Cairo hospital, where injured persons were being treated, dozens of youths wearing Zamalek T-shirts seemed shocked as families arrived to see if their relatives were safe.
A mother cried and shouted when she found the name of her son on a list of the dead posted by hospital staff lamenting that she had told him to leave soccer matches.
Relations between security forces and fan groups known as Ultras have been tense since the 2011 popular uprising, when football supporters played a key role in ending the rule of autocrat Hosni Mubarak
“Huge numbers of Zamalek club fans came to Air Defense Stadium to attend the match … and tried to storm the stadium gates by force, which prompted the troops to prevent them from continuing the assault,” the interior ministry said.
Egypt’s public prosecutor ordered that an investigation begin immediately, while the incident prompted the government to postpone the Egyptian Premier League indefinitely, the prime minister’s office said in a statement, adding that he also ordered the arrest of the leaders of the Zamalek supporters group, Ultras White Knights, after Sunday’s incident.
On their Facebook page, the Ultras White Knights described the incident as “martyrs” and accused security forces of a “massacre”.
Despite the violence, the match went ahead and ended with a 1-1 draw.
The Egyptian Football Federation said it had reversed an earlier decision to allow fans to return to the stadiums by the start of the second half of the season. The original decision had been taken only a few days ago.
Shortly after that, the Cabinet said in a statement that the national league championship would be postponed indefinitely.
One of the nurses that attended to the Liberian-American Ebola victim, Patrick Sawyer in Lagos is dead.
The nurse, whose name is withheld by the Health Ministry, is the first Nigerian to be killed by the virus.
A statement by the Minister of Health , Professor Onyebuchi Chukwu said Nigeria has now recorded seven confirmed cases of Ebola, including that of the Liberian-American who died in Lagos.
“The first one, of cause was the Liberian man that died last week. While the nurse that treated him, who died on Wednesday, was the second case. The other five cases are currently under treatment at the isolation ward in Lagos.
“It is important to note that all the Nigerians thus far diagnosed of the Ebola Virus disease were primary contact of the index case,” he said
The world most dreaded disease, Ebola Virus has claimed the life of a doctor leading the fight against the outbreak of the disease on Tuesday, the country’s chief medical officer said.
The death of Sheik Umar Khan, who was credited with treating more than 100 patients, follows those of dozens of local health workers and the infection of two American medics in neighboring Liberia, highlighting the dangers faced by staff trying to halt the disease’s spread across West Africa.
Ebola is believed to have killed 672 people in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone since the outbreak began in February, according to the World Health Organisation.
The contagious disease, which has no known cure, has symptoms that include vomiting, diarrhea and internal and external bleeding. The fatality rate of the current outbreak is around 60 percent although Ebola can kill up to 90 percent of those who catch it.
The 39-year-old Khan, hailed as a “national hero” by the Health Ministry, had been moved to a treatment ward run by the medical charity Medecins Sans Frontieres in the far north of Sierra Leone.
He died less than a week after his diagnosis was announced, and shortly before President Ernest Bai Koroma arrived to visit his treatment center in the northeastern town of Kailahun.
“It is a big and irreparable loss to Sierra Leone as he was the only specialist the country had in viral hemorrhagic fevers,” said the chief medical officer, Brima Kargbo.
The House of Representatives has summoned the Minister of Health, Professor Onyebuchi Chukwu, his Finance counterpart, Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Anyim Pius Anyim, to appear before the House Committee on Health which is currently mediating on the strike by doctors or face arrest.
The order was issued by the Speaker of the House, Aminu Tambuwal, during Thursday’s plenary, during which he urged the officials to respect not only the institution of the House of Representatives but to also show more concern for the issue at hand.
He expressed his disappointment at the Government officials for their attitude towards the resolution of the impasse, especially as it affects the lives of Nigerian citizens.
The House Committee had summoned Government officials to a mediation meeting with executives of the Nigerian Medical Association over the nationwide doctors’ strike.
However, the Chairman of the House Committee on Health, Mr Ndudi Elumelu, told the House that no representative of the Government has attended any of the mediation meetings.
Medical services in public hospitals across Nigeria have been shut down by medical doctors since July 1, leaving many patients who turn up for appointments hopeless.
The Nigerian Medical Association, among other things, demanded the immediate passage of the National Health Bill, appointment of a Surgeon-General of the Federation, the payment of 100,000 Naira hazard allowance for medical doctors and the skipping of level twelve by medical and dental practitioners.