PHOTOS: EFCC Raids Suspected Fraudster’s House, Recovers Coffin

The six suspects arrested by the EFCC in Ibadan on March 2, 2020.

 

 

Operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) have raided the house of a suspected internet fraudster in Ibadan, the Oyo State capital.

During the raid of 38-year-old Azeez Adebowale’s residence on Monday, the operatives recovered a mini coffin.

According to the anti-graft agency, Adebowale claimed to be using the coffin as soap rack.

He is said to be among the six persons arrested following weeks of piecing together tips on intelligence received on their alleged involvement in internet fraud.

The suspects which included a lady, Toyinsola Bolumole, were picked up by the EFCC operatives at locations around Oluyole and Alao-Akala Estates of the ancient city.

Others are Ifelowo Ololade, Sonuyi Ayodeji, Folarin Olayinka, and Aluko Olawale.

The commission also recovered four cars, various brands of sophisticated smartphones, and an Automated Teller Machine (ATM) card from them.

See more photos below:

15 Killed, 38 Injured In Ijebu-Ode/Ibadan Highway Accident

 

15 people have died in an accident that occurred on the Omen bridge along the Ijebu-Ode/Ibadan highway.

The Public Relations Officer of the Ogun State Traffic Compliance and Enforcement Corps, Babatunde Akinbiyi, confirmed this on Tuesday.

Also, according to him, 38 others were injured in the accident, while 12 others were unhurt.

Akinbiyi explained that the accident involved only one vehicle – a Mitsubishi Canter, marked XE-331-MKA with 65 occupants.

He said the vehicle fell into a ditch as a result of over-speeding and recklessness, while the driver was trying to avoid an oncoming vehicle.

“The dead bodies were recovered from the ditch, where the vehicle crashed and later to Sabo following the request of the Hausa community, while the injured victims have been taken to the General Hospital in Ijebu-Ode,” Akinbiyi said.

PHOTOS: Excited Ibadan Residents Celebrate Seyi Makinde After Supreme Court Victory

 

Ibadan, the Oyo State Capital stood still on Thursday to welcome Governor Seyi Makinde back to the state following his victory at the Supreme Court in Abuja.

Governor Makinde was received at the Ibadan airport by his cabinet members, party loyalists and excited residents of the state.

Others troop out to the streets in celebration and welcomed the governor who in return waved at them as he drove around the town in an open van and danced to music from a music band.

READ ALSO: Supreme Court Affirms Election Of Seyi Makinde As Oyo State Governor

Makinde while addressing the crowd described the verdict as a confirmation of the will of the people and validation of the mandate given to him.

He promised that he will not deviate from the path to fulfilling his campaign promises to lift Oyo state out if poverty into prosperity.

See photos below…

Ibadan Polytechnic Examiner Bags 20-Year Jail Term For Malpractice

ICPC Partners OAGF, BPP To Prevent Corruption In MDAs

 

A part-time examiner at The Polytechnic, Ibadan, Mr. Olanrewaju Kayode, has been sentenced to a 20-year jail term for committing examination malpractice.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court sitting in Ibadan, Oyo State, found Mr. Kayode guilty of all charges preferred against him.

The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) in a statement, said that Mr. Kayode had been arraigned in June 2016 on a 5-count for allegedly collecting sums of money from five students of the institution and attempting to assist them to alter and secure higher examination scores on different scripts written outside the Examination Hall.

READ ALSO: DSS Yet To Release Omoyele Sowore

Mr. Kayode, a part-time examiner assessed and marked students’ examination scripts of the Department of Accountancy at the Polytechnic.

Justice Abdulmalik gave the judgement after ICPC’s Prosecution Counsel, Barrister Aderonke Bisi-Balogun proved beyond a reasonable doubt that Mr. Kayode committed all the offences leveled against him.

She stated that the convict was to serve four years jail term on each of the five counts bringing the total to 20 years imprisonment.

“The sentence is to run concurrently commencing from 20th June 2016, the first day of his arrest”, the statement added.

Eight Escape Death In Another Ibadan Building Collapse

 

Eight people escaped death on Tuesday when a building collapsed at a construction site in Oyo State.

The incident occurred on Eleyele Road beside the Polo Ground in Ibadan, the state capital.

Although no death was recorded, some construction workers at the site were trapped under the rubble.

READ ALSO: 25 Feared Killed As Boko Haram Attacks Adamawa Village

Emergency workers were said to have rushed to the scene and rescued the victims after which they were taken to the hospital for treatment.

The incident occurred weeks after a three-storey building under construction collapsed in Sogoye area of Molete, also in Ibadan.

See photos below:

Man Dies After Jumping Off A Mast In Ibadan

Man Dies After Jumping Off A Mast In Ibadan

 

A young man simply identified as Sola has committed suicide in Ibadan, the Oyo State capital.

Sola was said to have killed himself on Saturday morning after he climbed and jumped down from the peak of a mast belonging to a commercial bank at Sango area in Ibadan.

An eyewitness told Channels Television at the scene of the incident that the victim who appeared to be deeply troubled was seen naked before the tragedy.

READ ALSOINEC Seeks Support For Conclusion Of Electoral Process In Rivers

According to her, Sola had made an attempt to climb a fence near some shops in the area but was prevented by the traders.

He was said to have taken another route through the bank’s premises where he gained access to the mast.

She explained that the victim climbed to the top of the mast and was shouting that he wanted to die before he eventually jumped.

In his reaction, the father of the victim who was accompanied by the mother described the incident as shocking and unbelievable.

The father refused to disclose his name but narrated that Sola had gone to church with his mother on Friday night and returned early on Saturday without any noticeable problem.

He said neither the victim’s mum nor himself knew when Sola left the house, only for them to be alerted by neighbours who saw him stripping himself on the road just before the incident.

The Oyo State Police Command confirmed the incident to Channels Television shortly after it occurred.

The Police Public Relations Officer, Olugbenga Fadeyi, disclosed that the man was confirmed dead at the University Teaching Hospital, Ibadan.

He said the victim was able to gain access to the bank’s premises as the security operatives on duty mistook him for a beggar requesting money from ATM users.

Mr Fadeyi added that Sola fell on the roof of the bank and was rescued but was certified dead at the hospital as he bled through the mouth.

He added that his body has been moved to the morgue but the victim’s relatives have yet to claim it.

Aisha Buhari Visits Victims Of Lagos Building Collapse

Aisha Buhari visits victims of building collapse in Lagos on Saturday. Source: Bashir Ahmad.

 

The wife of the President, Mrs Aisha Buhari, on Saturday visited victims of the Ita Faji building collapse at the Lagos Island General Hospital.

Her visit was confirmed by the Personal Assistant to President Buhari on New Media, Bashir Ahmad.

During the visit, Mrs Buhari prayed to God to grant families who lost loved ones the fortitude to bear the loss, while also wishing the survivors speedy recovery.

The three-storey building located on Marcey Street of the Ita Faji area of Lagos caved in on Wednesday around 9:45 am.


RELATED

Lagos Building Collapse: Ambode Vows To Demolish All Illegal School Buildings

No Casualty Recorded In Ibadan Building Collapse – NEMA


 

At least 24 victims, mostly children who were pupils of a primary school located on the top floor of the building, were, however, rescued from the rubbles.

Nine persons were confirmed dead as the rescue officials declared the operations concluded on Thursday.

Barely 48 hours after, a similar incident occurred in Oyo State, although all eight of the victims were rescued.

No Casualty Recorded In Ibadan Building Collapse – NEMA

 

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) says no casualties were recorded in the building collapse that occurred in Ibadan, Oyo State.

The NEMA South West Coordinator, Slakku Luggard and Director of the State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA), Akin Makinde, confirmed this to Channels Television in the early hours of Saturday.

 

Ibadan building collapse ( March 15, 2019)

 

Eight men were said to have been in the three-storey building at the time of the collapse on Friday and after frantic efforts by emergency rescue officials and residents in the area, six persons were initially rescued.


RELATED

Three-Storey Building Collapses In Ibadan, Three Rescued So Far

Lagos Govt Confirms 20 Killed In Collapsed Building


Later that evening, an excavator arrived to continue the search through the rubbles.

“It took us some hours before the necessary excavator could be gotten to assist us in evacuating the debris. We thank God there were no casualties,” Makinde said.

After the long search, the remaining two victims were rescued at about 1:00 am and immediately taken to the University College Hospital, UCH Ibadan.

Mr Luggard, on the other hand, lamented that the process would have been much more seamless if residents had not crowded the area and if the excavators had been readily available.

He also said there’s a need for more awareness as regards the use of quality building materials while the government needs to put necessary measures in place to ensure that all structures are up to the required standard.

“I think the rescue would have been faster than this and would have given us more results within a short time if not because of the crowd we saw and it was difficult to manage them and the second challenge we had was the issue of excavators.

“The information came around 6:30 and before the excavators actually started, it was about 10 or there about”.

“We belive that with more awareness and working together, we will get over this.

“I think people need to be sensitised about the building materials they use and the government will be meeting with stakeholders including people who are into the building industry to make sure that they supervise these things,” he said.

 

Three-Storey Building Collapses In Ibadan, Three Rescued So Far

Three-Storey Building Collapses In Ibadan, Three Rescued So Far

 

Barely two days after a similar incident occurred in Lagos, another three-storey building has collapsed, this time in Ibadan.

The structure, which was still under construction, caved in at Shogoye in the Idi Arere area of the Oyo State capital.

The Commissioner of Police in Oyo State, Mr Shina Olukolu, confirmed to Channels Television that three persons had been rescued so far.

READ ALSOPolice Launch Investigation Into Lagos Building Collapse

He added that rescue operations by emergency workers were ongoing at the site, as excavators were being expected to ensure prompt rescue of those still trapped under the rubble.

One of the survivors, Toheeb Gbadamosi

 

Mr Olokulo said the police were working with the State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) and other stakeholders to save as many people as possible from the disaster scene.

It was, however, not clear what caused the incident but a crowd of people was seen trooping to the scene to lend support for the emergency officials.

Some of those trapped were construction workers said to be working on site before the building came down.

The Lagos State government on Friday confirmed that 20 people were brought to the hospital dead from the site of the building collapse in Massey Street, in the Ita Faji area of Lagos Island.

Already, officials of the state government have commenced the demolition of over 80 buildings marked for that purpose after they failed integrity test conducted on them.

House Of Reps Member Shot Dead In Oyo

Temitope Olatoye was shot by armed men at Lalupon area of Lagelu Local Government Area of Oyo state.

 

 

The lawmaker representing Lagelu /Akinyele Federal Constituency in the House of Representatives, Temitope Olatoye, has been shot dead by a yet to be identified group of armed men.

The spokesman for the University College Hospital (UCH), Ibadan, Mr Toye Akinrinola, confirmed this to Channels Television on Saturday.

Akinrinola explained that Olatoye was rushed to the hospital at about 6:20 pm after sustaining critical gunshot wounds to the eye.

READ ALSO: Two Killed In Benue Election Violence

According to him, the incident happened at Lalupon area of Lagelu Local Government Area of the state.

The UCH spokesman added that the lawmaker was too weak to be revived by the time he was brought to the medical facility for treatment.

He also disclosed that Olatoye’s family had been informed about his death.

Meanwhile, there are reports that two other persons were killed at different locations in Ibadan, as a result of electoral violence.

One Killed, Two Injured In Oyo

 

One person has been killed and two others injured in a shootout that occurred in Ibadan South East Local Government Area of Oyo State.

The incident which occurred at Ward 2, Units 13 and 14 in Lako compound was said to have happened at around 3.30pm on Saturday.

The Commissioner of Police in the state, Shina Olukolu, confirmed the development to Channels Television.

Residents of the area who witnessed the incident also told Channels Television that the hoodlums showed up while officials of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) were counting the votes and began to shoot sporadically before carting away ballot papers.

READ ALSO: Police Confirm Killing Of Soldier In Rivers Violence

Narrating how the incident unfolded, the assistant presiding officer 3 in the wards, Ibrahim Olaoye, said, “Actually, we had been counting votes because everybody had cast their votes. We were counting senatorial votes when I started hearing gunshots and everybody just left.

“They (the hoodlums) have gone with it (the votes cast). That’s what I can say. We brought three ballot boxes, they have gone with it,” he added.

Although some security operatives were present, they declined to speak on the matter.

EFCC Arrests Suspected Internet Fraudsters In Ibadan, Denies Osogbo Raid

EFCC Arrests Suspected Internet Fraudsters In Ibadan, Denies Osogbo Raid

 

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arrested eight suspected internet fraudsters in Ibadan, the Oyo State capital.

According to a statement from the anti-graft agency on Saturday, the suspects were apprehended by operatives of EFCC Ibadan Zonal Office at the Elebu-Oja area of the town.

Those arrested are Ojo Ayobami, Ojo Ayotunde, Ibidapo Ileriayo, Ibidapo Kolade, Dayo Adedokun, Adeniyi Gbenga, Aluko Idowu, and Adeusi Olatunji.

The EFCC said they were rounded up on Friday following action on a series of intelligence reports.

The suspects were alleged to be involved in fraudulent activities ranging from love scam and other forms of internet fraud, through which they reportedly obtain money from unsuspecting victims.

Three different models of cars, laptops, phones, international passports, and several incriminating documents were recovered from them.

READ ALSOShehu Sani Condemns Bandits’ Activities In Kaduna, Three Other States

The statement disclosed that the suspects would be charged to court as soon as the agency concludes its investigation.

The EFCC, however, distanced itself from a raid of suspected internet fraudsters in Osogbo, the Osun State capital, shown in a video trending on the social media.

“We need to state that much as we have avowed, pursuant to our mandate to root out cybercriminals in the nation’s space, we clarify that the operatives depicted in the video are not those of the Commission,” the agency said in another statement.

“We disclaim the video and in the same breath, wish to inform the public that EFCC operatives stick to a standard procedure in their operations, which conforms with global best practices for intelligence officers.”

The agency stressed that its operatives would by no means embrace theatre or open attraction of public attention pursuant to their duties.

It, thereafter, advised its critics to look elsewhere for the source and actors in the video, insisting that the fingerprints of the operation do not belong to it.

The EFCC revealed that it does not have an office in Osogbo yet, and the Ibadan zonal office which covers Oyo, Osun and Ekiti states has no knowledge of the purported raid.

“We restate that we are committed to making every shade of financial and economic crime unattractive to criminal elements among us. We will not rest on our oars in this resolve,” the statement added.