‘I’m Ready’: Anthony Joshua Eager For Fury Showdown

(COMBO) This combination of pictures created on December 14, 2020 shows Boxer Tyson Fury (L) during a press conference in Los Angeles, California on January 25, 2020. (Photos by RINGO CHIU and FAYEZ NURELDINE / AFP)

 

Anthony Joshua has set his sights on a world heavyweight title showdown with fellow Briton Tyson Fury in June after revealing on Tuesday that he is ‘keen’ for the fight to take place.

Joshua was criticised by WBC champion Fury for not showing enough commitment to the contest after successfully defending his WBA, WBO, IBF and IBO belts against Kubrat Pulev earlier in December.

But the 31-year-old has confirmed talks are underway over the eagerly-anticipated fight.

“I’m ready, I’m keen. The next fight I want is Tyson Fury, for the undisputed championship of the world,” Joshua told Sky Sports News on Tuesday.

READ ALSO: Top US Scientist Anthony Fauci Receives COVID-19 Vaccine

“I’m having direct conversations now with my management team looking at the best way to put a package together for 2021 and hopefully it will be done.”

Joshua has no intention of backing down from the Fury clash, although hurdles in the way of the super-fight include his WBO mandatory challenger Oleksandr Usyk and another possible meeting between Fury and Deontay Wilder.

Asked when and where he expected the fight to take place, he added: “I think maybe June. It needs a bit of time. I promise you conversations and face-to-face meetings are happening with representatives of my team and Tyson Fury’s team.

“The possibilities of it being in this country are down to the pandemic and how that shapes. For me I am not too fussed where it is. I just want the fight.”

Northern Governors Condemn Onitsha Attack, Move To Avert Spread

Onitsha Governors of Nigeria’s 19 northern states on Thursday said that they have taken security measures to ensure that Wednesday’s violence that included burning of places of worship in the commercial city of Onitsha in Anambra State does not spread to the northern part of the country.

Speaking on behalf of the 19 governors, Borno State Governor and Chairman of the Northern States Governors’ Forum, Kashim Shettima, said that the governors, particularly those of major cities were in touch with one another on Wednesday and had taken some firm measures aimed at averting any spill-over.

A three-week-long pro-Biafra protest turned bloody on Wednesday resulting in the killing of scores with many injured in Onitsha, the commercial city of Anambra State.

The protesters were pressing for the release of detained Director of Radio Biafra, Mr. Nnamdi Kanu.

In a statement issued by his spokesman, Malam Isa Gusau on Thursday in Maiduguri, Shettima said that the governors took the undisclosed measures, following media reports claiming that worship places were torched during the Wednesday violence in Onitsha.

The statement reads: “We condemn the Wednesday crisis in very strong term. We have been in touch with one another today. The Governors of major cities in the north in particular, have been in critical touch to share thoughts and we have collectively taken firm measures to ensure that the violence doesn’t spread to any part of the 19 northern States and we will also be working with our colleagues in the south to nip the crisis in the bud but we will not disclose the measures we have taken so that those who may want to take advantage of the Onitsha mayhem don’t know our strategies.

“However, it is surprising to the Northern States Governors Forum that any Nigerian at all can even contemplate any kind of violence when we already have serious problems of Boko Haram insurgents that are killing Muslims and Christians, killing northerners and southerners, attacking Mosques, Churches and markets, in an effort to kill all of us that do not subscribe to their interpretation of Islam.

“We have Boko Haram that kill Hausa, Fulani, Ibo, Yoruba, Kanuri, Ijaw and anyone they are able to come across. We thought that the existence of Boko Haram should have been enough to make all Nigerians fuse into one and fight a common enemy.

“It is really sad that any Nigerian can contemplate violence. We are not blaming any individual or group because there are security agencies whose job it is to safeguard lives and property and do investigations where necessary, we will not go into their duties.

“We beg all Nigerians to be calm and go about their duties in peace. We have got more than enough problems to worry about. We can’t afford any distraction that will shift our focus from the bigger problems of Boko Haram that has an ambition of sending the human race into extinction.

“We urge all Nigerians to be calm. We particularly call on all Nigerians living in the northern states not to pay attention to differences in religion and ethnicity but rather, should see each other as Nigerians with equal residential rights and fundamental human rights that include freedom to lawfully reside anywhere in Nigeria, freedom of worship, movement, trade, association, education, healthcare and other rights as provided by the Nigerian constitution.

“We particularly call on our youths not to allow anyone use them for any purpose because youths have suffered more than any other age category from the hands of Boko Haram insurgents and that is more than enough.

“Our focus should be on how to end the Boko Haram insurgency and not to be driven into any other crisis. We have suffered too much, we must say no to any crisis.

“As heads of Government of the 19 northern states, we will by the grace of God, do everything humanly possible to ensure that no resident, regardless of his or her ethno-religious background, is denied any of these rights.

“As Nigerians, we are one, we need one another and we must live as one people,” Shettima said, on behalf of the Northern Governors.

Tyson Emerges Heavyweight Champion, Klitschko Demands Rematch

Klitshchko--FuryTyson Fury is the new Heavyweight Champion of the world after he stunned Wladimir Klitschko by unanimous decision in Germany.

Undefeated Fury, who improved his record to 25-0 and now has the WBA, WBO, IBF and IBO belts, was never troubled by the 39-year-old Ukrainian who suffered his first loss in 11 years.

Fury, changing between southpaw and orthodox stance, kept chipping away at Klitschko’s defences with his combinations, and by the eighth round the Champion was bleeding from a cheek wound.

He then landed a bruising left uppercut in the ninth that wounded Klitschko’s right eye.

Sensing the title slipping away, Klitschko threw everything he had in the final round for a knockout, but ended up losing on all three of the judges’ scorecards.

Meanwhile, Klitschko is already demanding for a rematch.

The fight had been preceded with some tough talk by Fury, but he showed humility after snatching the Champion’s four titles.

He said his rise to become Heavyweight Champion was not easy and despite being undefeated so far in his career, he was constantly written off.