The Dangote Foundation has donated money and equipment worth over N50 million to victims of the March 8 clash between Hausa and Yoruba persons in Ile-Ife, Osun State.
The Managing Director of the Dangote Foundation, Mrs Suera Yusuf, who represented Founder, Mr Aliko Dangote presented cheques to the victims at the Palace of the Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi in Ile-Ife.
The beneficiaries included about 220 men and women from Hausa and Yoruba communities, who suffered losses during the clash which led to the destruction of lives and property.
The Emir of Kano, Sanusi Lamido, who was at the event said in his remarks that he called on Dangote to assist the victims after he and the Ooni visited the scene of the clash and saw the level of destruction.
According to him, both monarchs appealed to other wealthy Nigerians to use their resources to alleviate the suffering of the majority of the people who are poor.
On his part, the Ooni of Ife said the gesture of the Dangote foundation is the combination of the private sector, the monarchy and the people.
While urging the youths to be careful and not allow themselves be used as instruments of violence, the Ooni said he will continue to champion the cause of Youths across the world.
Six persons including a traditional ruler have been remanded in prison, following their arraignment at the Osun State High Court Osogbo.
Security was heightened as the Lawarikan of Apoje land, Oba Ademola Ademiluyi and five others were arraigned before Justice Kudirat Akano.
They all pleaded not guilty to the 14 count charge bordering on murder, conspiracy to commit murder and armed robbery, arson and possession of grievous weapons brought before them.
Fourteen suspects were to appear in court but only six are being arraigned because others are said to be at large.
The suspects were arrested last month after the March 8 communal clash in Sabo area of the state, between Ile Ife indigenes and Arewa community.
Many lives were lost in the clash as properties worth millions of naira were also destroyed.
However, the accused persons were not granted bail as requested by the defence counsel but the presiding judge ordered for the formal bail application on the next adjournment date. .
Justice Akano ordered that the accused persons be remanded and adjourned the case to the 14th, 15th and 16th of June 2017 for hearing.
The arraignment of six persons for their alleged roles in the May 8 clash in Ile Ife was on Wednesday stalled for the second time this week.
The arraignment of the suspects had earlier been stalled on Monday as the judge before who they were to be arraigned reportedly did not give her consent to hearing the case.
The counsel to the defendants said the arraignment was stalled again on Wednesday due to procedural error by the prosecution.
He said the accused had yet to be served notice of the offence they were being charged with, describing it as a delay tactic to deny them of swift justice.
The lawyers said, “What happened is the problem of the prosecution and not our problem because here there is procedural way of doing things; you must follow the procedure, but they have not followed due process.”
The prosecuting counsel, Samuel Lough, however, said all the necessary arrangements have been made for the arraignment of the suspects.
“The court said they will give us a new date, so we are waiting for the court to do so,” he said.
The arraignment of the suspects arrested in connection with the Ile-Ife ethnic clash that occurred on March 8, 2017 in Osun state, could not hold on Tuesday as scheduled.
The Police had brought in five suspects to the Osun State High Court, Osogbo for arraignment amidst heavy security, while lawyers were also seated in court 5 hoping that the suspects would be arraigned.
Up until some minutes past nine in the morning, when news filtered in that they would no longer be arraigned, the suspects were kept in a vehicle outside the court premises.
The Police, however, refused to comment on the matter.
The clash between the Ile-Ife community and the Arewa community had left many dead, several others injured and homeless as property worth millions were destroyed.