EFCC Leads Walk Against Corruption

EFCC, CorruptionThe Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and other anti-corruption campaigners took to the streets on Thursday to drum up support for the federal government’s war against graft.

The walk against corruption took place simultaneously in the six geopolitical zones of the country.

In Lagos, officials of the EFCC, members of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) alongside other groups in support of the war against corruption walked from the commission’s office in the Ikoyi area through to Obalende, Broad Street to Tinubu Square and back.

The walk lasted about two hours.

The Deputy Director Of Operations, Iliyasu Kwarbai, who led the walk said that the idea was to mobilise and educate members of the public to key into the anti-graft war.

“The fight is not only for government or the EFCC, the fight is for everybody and that is the reason why to educate members of the public,” he said.

In Port Harcourt, the capital of Rivers State, members of the south-south zone of the commission also took to the streets.

The Zonal Head of the commission who led the walk tagged ‘Let’s Fight Corruption Together’ said that the level of rot in the Nigerian system and the recoveries made so far is shocking.

“There is a political will. Nobody anywhere in the world can doubt the sincerity, integrity and purposefulness of the current president, President Muhammadu Buhari.

The message from both rallies was clear, everyone needs to get on board and kill corruption before it kills the country.

Rights Enforcement Suit: Court Allows Fresh Evidence Of Rickey Tarfa

Rickey-TarfaA Federal High Court sitting in Lagos has allowed a Senior Nigerian lawyer, Rickey Tarfa, to file additional evidence in support of his fundamental rights enforcement suit against the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

Justice Mohammed Idris on Wednesday, said that the EFCC would suffer no injury if Mr Tarfa’s “further and better affidavit” was allowed, stressing that it would better serve the interest of justice to allow the document.

Mr Tarfa had filed the additional evidence in opposition to an allegation by the EFCC that he offered a bribe of 225,000 Naira to Justice Mohammed Yunusa of the Federal High Court.

In the fresh evidence, a former member of  Tarfa’s law firm, one Mohammed Awal Yunusa, claimed to be the owner of an Access Bank account, which the EFCC had alleged belongs to Justice Yunusa.

The lawyer had earlier admitted that he and some friends donated the money to the judge for the burial of his father-in-law.

The EFCC’s counsel, Wahab Shittu, had opposed the fresh evidence, insisting it was an afterthought.

Justice Idris had ruled in Mr Tarfa’s favour on the grounds that a party should be allowed to bring any evidence or material that would aid his case.

Mr Tarfa had approached the court asking it to award him the sum of 2.5 billion Naira as damages against the EFCC over his unlawful arrest and detention.

Joined as defendants are: the Commission’s acting chairman, Ibrahim Magu, the EFCC operatives that arrested him, Moses Awolusi, and the Deputy Director Operations, EFCC, Lagos office, Iliyasu Kwarbai.

Apart from the monetary compensation, Tarfa also asked the court to compel the defendants to release his two mobile handsets allegedly collected from him on Friday, February, 5.

He stated that the EFCC intended to destroy all information, data and other retrievable materials stored in the two handsets.

Mr Tarfa also sought an order urging the court to direct the defendants to release his Mercedes Benz SUV with registration Number, KJA 700CG unlawfully seized from him.

The Senior Advocate of Nigeria also asked the court to order the EFCC, Magu and the other defendants to publicly apologise to him in at least two widely circulated national newspapers, on social media and the Nigerian Television Authority (NTA) as well as Channels Television within 24 hours from the day of the judgment of the suit.

He asked for an order of perpetual injunction restraining all the defendants and their agents from further violating his rights.

Hearing of the application has been fixed for Thursday, March 3.