Ribery Out For 10 Weeks After Ankle Surgery

Franck Ribery of ACF Fiorentina injured during the Italian championship Serie A football match between Fiorentina and Lecce on November 30, 2019 at Stadio Artemio Franchi in Florence, Italy.

 

French midfielder Franck Ribery will be sidelined for 10 weeks after undergoing surgery on his right ankle, his club Fiorentina confirmed on Saturday.

Ribery, 36, had to be helped off the pitch after a clash with Lecce midfielder Panagiotis Tachtsidis on November 30.

The veteran underwent joint stabilisation surgical treatment in Germany and it “succeeded perfectly,” the club said.

The former Bayern Munich player will return to Florence on Sunday, to begin physiotherapy treatment and in two weeks time the active work will begin.

“Ribery’s return to normal activity is expected in about 10 weeks,” the club added.

Fiorentina are on a run of four consecutive defeats and are struggling in 13th in the league, five points above the relegation zone.

AFP

Injury Forces Murray To Shelve Pre-Season Training

Andy Murray of Britain/ AFP

 

Britain’s Andy Murray has cancelled his training block in Miami because of a groin injury that has left him unable to practise on the court, according to a report on Thursday.

The former world number one suffered a bruise to his pelvic bone during Britain’s Davis Cup campaign in Madrid last month, The Times newspaper said. He played one singles match before missing the rest of the event.

Murray’s Grand Slam comeback at next month’s Australian Open, which starts on January 20, is apparently not in doubt, however.

The three-time Grand Slam champion, ranked 126 in the world, will likely receive a wild card to compete in Melbourne.

The Scot, 32, is due to travel to Australia in late December to prepare for the new ATP Cup team competition, which starts on January 3.

Earlier this year he broke down in tears, saying the 2019 Australian Open could be his last tournament but he returned to the court after hip resurfacing surgery and beat fellow veteran Stan Wawrinka in the final of the European Open in October.

Murray has signed up to play in Montpellier in the week immediately following the year’s first Grand Slam, suggesting he does not expect to reach the latter stages in Melbourne.

AFP

Salah’s Ankle Nothing To Worry About, Says Klopp

Liverpool’s Egyptian midfielder Mohamed Salah is seen to by a medic during the English Premier League football match between Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur at Anfield in Liverpool, north west England on October 27, 2019. Paul ELLIS / AFP

 

Jurgen Klopp moved to allay fears over Mohamed Salah’s left ankle problem saying his departure five minutes before the end of Premier League leaders Liverpool’s 2-1 win over Tottenham Hotspur was a precautionary measure.

The 27-year-old Egyptian star — who had missed the previous match with Manchester United due to the injury — scored the decisive goal to bring up his half century of goals at Anfield.

Salah, who reached the landmark in 58 matches with only Roger Hunt getting there faster, has a few days to rest up before Saturday’s away game at Aston Villa as he was highly unlikely to feature in Wednesday’s League Cup clash with Arsenal.

“It’s the ankle, the ankle he has struggled with since the Leicester game,” said Klopp.

“It’s good but the longer the game goes the muscles get a bit tired, stuff like this, (and) if you get a knock on it then you feel it more.

“It makes no sense to try to push it through because we had other players, still options to change, and that’s what we did. No, nothing serious.”

Klopp, whose side maintained their six point lead over champions Manchester City, said conceding an early goal to the team they beat in last season’s Champions League final had helped concentrate their minds.

The charismatic German — who took Liverpool agonisingly close to their first Premier league title last term only to lose out to City by a point — was delighted in the manner in which his players had responded.

“I am absolutely pleased, but to be honest, I expect it as well,” added Klopp.

“An early goal is obviously not the best thing that can happen, but sometimes it makes one thing clear: game on.

“The counter-press was exceptional, it was kind of back. I loved that, that was really good.

“I told the boys at half-time; ‘The only problem in this game so far is the result — apart from that, it’s good’.”

AFP

Injured Neymar Misses Brazil Friendlies

Brazil’s Neymar warms up before a friendly football match against Qatar at the Mane Garrincha stadium in Brasilia ahead of Brazil 2019 Copa America.

 

Paris Saint-Germain’s injury-hit striker Neymar was left out of the Brazil squad announced Friday for friendlies next month against Argentina and South Korea.

Neymar was ruled out for four weeks in mid-October with a hamstring injury he suffered playing for his country in a 1-1 friendly draw against Nigeria.

A day after that October 13 outing in Singapore PSG reported that an MRI scan showed that their star player had suffered “a grade two lesion” in his left hamstring.

Brazil face Argentina on November 15 and South Korea four days later.

In Neymar’s place Brazil coach Tite has called on Real Madrid’s 18-year-old Rodrygo for the friendlies in Saudi Arabia and Abu Dhabi.

The latest in a catalogue of injuries since joining PSG in 2017 halted a prolific period for Neymar, who had scored four goals in five Ligue 1 games.

Brazil squad

Goalkeepers: Alisson (Liverpool/ENG), Ederson (Manchester City/ENG), Daniel Fuzato (Roma/ITA)

Defenders: Danilo (Juventus/ITA), Emerson (Real Betis/ESP), Alex Sandro (Juventus/ITA), Renan Lodi (Atletico Madrid/ESP), Thiago Silva (PSG/FRA), Marquinhos (PSG/FRA), Éder Militao (Real Madrid/ESP), Felipe (Atletico Madrid/ESP)

Midfielders: Casemiro (Real Madrid/ESP), Arthur (Barcelona/ESP), Fabinho (Liverpool/ENG), Douglas Luiz (Aston Villa/ENG), Philippe Coutinho (Bayern Munich/GER), Lucas Paqueta (AC Milan/ITA)

Forwards: David Neres (Ajax/NED), Roberto Firmino (Liverpool/ENG), Richarlison (Everton/ENG), Gabriel Jesus (Manchester City/ENG), Rodrygo (Real Madrid/ESP), Willian (Chelsea/ENG).

AFP

Sanchez Awaits Decision On Ankle Surgery

Alexis Sanchez attends a training session at La Manga Club Football Centre in Cartagena on October 11, 2019. JOSE JORDAN / AFP

 

Inter Milan on Tuesday said Chile forward Alexis Sanchez will see a specialist in Barcelona to determine if he needs surgery for a serious ankle injury sustained on international duty.

Sanchez hobbled off in the 88th minute of a goalless draw in the friendly against Colombia in Alicante on Saturday.

He underwent medical tests in Milan on Tuesday which revealed damage to a tendon in his left ankle.

Inter said Sanchez, 30, will travel to Barcelona to consult with surgeon Professor Ramon Cugat on Wednesday to establish whether an operation is required.

Chile coach Reinaldo Rueda said on Monday he that the forward could be out for up to three months.

“We have to see what diagnosis they make in the club, because it is decisive for us,” the Chilean coach said.

“If there is surgery we could lose him two to three months, if not, it could be a matter of weeks. That depends on the club. They own the player.”

Chile play Guinea on Tuesday in another friendly, also in the Spanish resort, but Rueda said he was worried that the former Arsenal and Manchester United player might miss the start of South American World Cup qualifying in March.

Sanchez joined Inter on loan from Manchester United this season, but has made just four appearances.

He was sent off in his first full start after scoring in a 3-1 win over Sampdoria.

Inter are second in the Italian league one point behind defending champions Juventus after seven matches.

AFP

Lloris Out For Two Months, Says Deschamps

Tottenham Hotspur’s French goalkeeper Hugo Lloris lies injured after Brighton’s French striker Neal Maupay scores his team’s first goal during the English Premier League football match between Brighton and Tottenham Hotspur at the American Express Community Stadium in Brighton, southern England on October 5, 2019. Glyn KIRK / AFP

 

Tottenham Hotspur goalkeeper Hugo Lloris will “almost certainly” be out of action for the rest of the year after his horror injury at the weekend, France coach Didier Deschamps said on Monday.

“It is difficult to say exactly how long he will not be available,” said Deschamps as France players gathered for their next Euro 2020 qualifying matches against Iceland on Friday and Turkey three days later.

“What matters to us right now is that he will not be with us for this round of games or for the next.”

France face Albania and Moldova in November.

Lloris suffered a dislocated elbow in conceding the opening goal of Spurs’ 3-0 defeat by Brighton on Saturday, dropping a cross before falling backwards and landing badly.

The Spurs goalkeeper was given oxygen and morphine as he was carried from the field before being taken to hospital.

“Almost certainly, he won’t be back on the pitch in 2019,” said Deschamps.

Steve Mandanda will take over in goal for France against Iceland while Paulo Gazzaniga, who replaced Lloris on Saturday, is likely to continue in the role for struggling Spurs.

AFP

Tiger Woods Undergoes Surgery After Knee Injury

Tiger Woods of the United States acknowledges the crowd on the 16th green during the first round of the TOUR Championship at East Lake Golf Club on September 20, 2018 in Atlanta, Georgia. Sam Greenwood/Getty Images/AFP

 

Tiger Woods revealed Tuesday he had undergone surgery to repair cartilage in his left knee but said he expects to be fit to play at the PGA Tour’s inaugural event in Japan in October.

In a brief statement on Twitter, reigning Masters champion Woods said he had undergone keyhole surgery last week to mend “minor cartilage damage.”

Dr Vern Cooley, who conducted the procedure, said in the statement he expects Woods to make a full recovery.

“We did what was needed, and also examined the entire knee,” Cooley said. “There were no additional problems.”

Woods said he was already walking following the surgery and expected to return to practice in the “next few weeks.”

“I look forward to traveling and playing in Japan in October,” Woods said.

It is the fifth time since 1994 that Woods, 43, has undergone surgery on his left knee.

In 2008, he famously won the US Open at Torrey Pines despite being informed weeks before the tournament he had suffered two stress fractures of the left tibia.

Woods made a successful return to top flight golf in 2018, winning the season-ending Tour Championship after missing most of the previous two years through a debilitating back injury.

In April, he won his 15th major after completing a memorable victory at the Masters, his first major win since the 2009 US Open.

Woods however was unable to force his way into the top 30 in the FedEx Cup playoffs who contested last week’s Tour Championship at East Lake.

AFP

PSG Hit With Mbappe, Cavani Injury

 

Paris Saint-Germain star Kylian Mbappe will be out for four weeks and Edinson Cavani for three weeks after both came off injured in a Ligue 1 match against Toulouse on Sunday, the French champions have confirmed.

French World Cup-winning star Mbappe limped off after hurting his left hamstring during a trademark sprint in PSG’s 4-0 win at the Parc des Princes.

The injury means he will miss PSG’s opening Champions League group game, which is set for September 17 or 18.

He is also set to sit out three league matches as well as France’s Euro 2020 qualifiers at home to Albania and Andorra early next month.

READ ALSO: I Tried To Copy Messi And LeBron, Says Griezmann After Barca Brace

Fellow forward Cavani came off with a hip injury in the same game and PSG confirmed the Uruguayan will be out for three weeks, meaning he could be ready in time for the start of their Champions League campaign.

The injuries come as uncertainty continues to surround Neymar.

The Brazilian’s desired move back to Spain has yet to materialise with just a week remaining before the European transfer window closes.

However, even if he stays, the world’s most expensive player is suspended for the first three games of this season’s Champions League.

AFP

Barcelona Goalkeeper Neto To Undergo Surgery On Wrist Injury

Barcelona’s goalkeeper Neto blocks a shot on goal during the International Champions Cup football match between FC Barcelona and SSC Napoli at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami, Florida, on August 7, 2019. RHONA WISE / AFP

 

Barcelona’s back-up goalkeeper Neto will undergo surgery after injuring his left wrist, the club announced on Monday.

Neto suffered the injury in training and is unlikely to be fit for Barca’s opening La Liga game away to Athletic Bilbao on Friday.

“Goalkeeper Neto is to undergo surgery this Tuesday on a  fractured scaphoid bone in his left hand sustained in training while on the US tour,” a club statement read.

READ ALSO: Nadal Stays At Number Two As Djokovic Rules Rankings

“Doctor Xavier Mir will perform the operation in the presence of the Club Medical Services. Afterwards, he will make a statement to explain how the surgery has gone and to offer an approximate recovery date.”

Neto joined Barcelona this summer from Valencia, with fellow goalkeeper Jasper Cillessen leaving Camp Nou and going the other way.

Coach Ernesto Valverde is already likely to be without Lionel Messi against Bilbao. Messi missed the friendly win over Napoli on Saturday after sustaining a calf tear in training last week.

AFP

Neymar To Miss PSG’s Final Asian Matches Over Injury

Paris Saint-Germain’s Brazilian forward Neymar looks on during the French L1 football match between Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) and OGC Nice at the Parc des Princes stadium in Paris.  Lionel BONAVENTURE / AFP

 

Neymar will not feature in Paris Saint-Germain’s last two games of their pre-season tour of Asia, French media reported on Sunday.

PSG play Sydney FC in Suzhou on Tuesday but, sports daily L’Equipe reported, Neymar, who missed Brazil’s victorious Copa America campaign with an ankle injury, and defender Presnel Kimpembe will stay behind in Shenzhen to work on their fitness.

READ ALSO: Real Madrid Block Bale China Move

The world’s most expensive player sat out the defeat on penalties to Inter Milan in Macao on Saturday.

He will also miss the French Champions Trophy against Rennes in Shenzhen next Saturday as he completes a six-match domestic ban for an incident involving a fan the last time the teams met, in the French Cup final.

If Neymar, who has made clear he wants to return to Barcelona, is still at the Parc des Princes he could feature in the club’s Ligue 1 opener on August 11 against Nimes.

AFP

Senegal Lose Sane For Rest Of Africa Cup Group Stage

Senegal’s defender Salif Sane vies for the ball with Tanzania’s midfielder Simon Msuva during the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations (CAN) football match between Senegal and Tanzania at the 30 June Stadium in Cairo on June 23, 2019. Khaled DESOUKI / AFP

 

Giant Senegalese defender Salif Sane will miss at least his team’s next two Africa Cup of Nations matches after hurting his ankle in the 2-0 victory over Tanzania.

The 6ft 5in (1.96m) centre-back injured his left ankle during Sunday’s Group C opener in Cairo and will miss “between 10 and 15 days” with a sprained ligament, the Senegalese FA said Monday.

READ ALSO: Rafael Benitez To Leave Newcastle

Sane, who was expected to partner Napoli standout Kalidou Koulibaly in a strong Senegalese defence, will miss Thursday’s heavyweight clash with Algeria as well as the July 1 meeting with Kenya.

Senegal will, however, be boosted by the return of star forward Sadio Mane, who was suspended for the opener after picking up a one-match ban during qualifying.

Koulibaly, reportedly coveted by a number of Europe’s top sides, said Sunday he wasn’t prepared to talk about his Napoli future with Senegal attempting to win the tournament for the first time.

“I’m not talking about my future, I would rather talk about Senegal. We know that Senegal want to do something great,” said Koulibaly.

“I’m 200% with Senegal, I’m 200% with 15 million Senegalese. So today I’m relaxed, I’m going to play my AFCON and then go back to Naples, and we’ll see what happens.”

AFP

Kvitova Pulls Out Of French Open With Injury

Czech Republic’s Petra Kvitova/ AFP

 

Two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova said she expects to be fit for the grass-court season despite pulling out of the French Open with a left arm injury on Monday.

The Czech, who was seeded sixth at Roland Garros, will be out for “two to three weeks”.

“It means no tennis, of course, as it’s my left forearm,” said the big-hitting left-hander.

“Maybe I can play rightie. Two to three weeks, so I’ll do some fitness and everything that I can do to prepare my body for tennis on the grass.”

Kvitova had been due to play Romania’s Sorana Cirstea in her opening Roland Garros match on Court Suzanne Lenglen later in the day.

“I am so disappointed to have to announce my withdrawal from Roland Garros,” Kvitova wrote on Twitter.

“I have had pain in my left forearm for a few weeks and last night an MRI confirmed a Grade Two tear which unfortunately could get worse if I play today.”

The 29-year-old made her return from a horrific hand injury, sustained in a knife attack by an intruder at her home, at Roland Garros in 2017.

“Two years ago I made my comeback here at Roland Garros, so I’m truly sorry not to be able to play this year,” she added.

Kvitova has been replaced in the draw by 18-year-old Slovenian lucky loser Kaja Juvan.

AFP