Wakil Says Boko Haram Ready For Peace

Boko Haram video, Chibok girls, Ahmed Salkida ,Aisha WakilOne of the individuals who were recently questioned by the military over their closeness to Boko Haram, Mrs Aisha Wakil, has revealed that the group is ready for negotiation with the Nigerian government over the release of the Chibok girls.

Mrs Wakil in an interview with the Nation Online said she had been piling pressure on the Boko Haram leaders to release the girls and other captives, adding that the group might soon make an announcement on the issue.

Mrs Wakil was recently declared wanted by the military, alongside one Ahmed Bolori and Belgium-based Nigerian journalist Ahmed Salkida, over their links with the terrorist group and the release of the latest video of the Chibok girls.

While Mrs Wakil and Mr Bolori voluntarily reported to the authorities and were granted bail almost days after, Mr Salkida expressed willingness to return to the country to prove his innocence of the allegation.

Wakil had, after she was declared wanted, insisted that she had been fighting for peace long before the Chibok girls were kidnapped and was well known to the security operatives.

”I have had meetings with (the) Chief of Army Staff and his people.

“I told them the way forward, to allow me come with some commanders of Boko Haram and discuss with them and present the release of CBGS.

“But they chose to do things their own ways only and never gave considerations to any of my suggestions,” she said in a statement.

I Am Connected To My People In Gwoza, Senator Ndume Insists

Ali-NdumaThe Majority Leader in the Senate, Ali Ndume, representing nine local government areas in Borno State, one of which is Gwoza, devastated by insurgency, has dismissed claims that he is not keeping in touch with his constituents since the crisis.

He told Channels Television on Friday that he had been to Goza and was in constant relationship with his constituents.

On Wednesday, the Vice Chairman of Gwoza Local Government Area, Mr Ibrahim Adamu, expressed worry over the alleged inability of Senator Ndume, to come to visit IDPs from Gwoza in Abuja.

But Senator Ndume dismissed the claims, saying that Mr Adamu’s statement was not a reflection of Gwoza people’s disposition.

“That is not a reflection of Gwoza people.

“This is the first time you will see somebody from Gwoza talking about us.

“I know everything that is going to Gwoza. I have been to Gwoza when Boko Haram insurgency was at its peak.

“I moved into Gwoza and I am connected to my people,” Senator Ndume stressed.

Giving a breakdown of the affected areas in the Borno State, he said that at a time, most of the local governments in his zone were captured by the insurgents.

“Gwoza was occupied, but Bama which is near Gwoza was completely razed. My two houses were completed razed.

“When Gowza was invaded and people ran to Uba, I was there with them. When Chibok girls were abducted, I was in Maiduguri. I was the one that insisted that we move to Chibok to take account of the missing girls.

“As I told you, for somebody like me who is a poor person, how can I be sustaining my winning elections for four times if I am not connected with my people? He that is talking did not vote for me because he does not have voter’s card,” the Senator claimed.

North-west Governors Move To Stop Boko Haram Infiltration

North-west governors in Nigeria on Boko HaramThe governors of states in Nigeria’s north-west have met to discuss how to stop the Boko Haram activities in the north-east and also prevent the terrorists from entering their states.

At the end of the meeting, the Governor of Katsina State, Aminu Masari, told reporters that they could not stand and watch the Boko Haram terrorists continue to attack their people.

He said that the meeting also discussed the activities of cattle rustlers in some forests in Kaduna and how to reduce such activities in the region.

Governor Masari said that they reviewed the various military operations in the region and decided that it should continue beyond the month of October.

“We have met to review the progress of the special operations that are going on within the areas and we have agreed that the operations should continue.

“We noted the infiltration from north-east and north-west and measures are being taken to ensure that Boko Haram does not find any safe haven in north-west or any part of the country.

“With regards to cost, we will not know the cost until it is over,” he said.

The states at the meeting were Niger, Zamfara, Kebbi, Katsina, Sokoto, Kaduna and Kano.

Also at the meeting were top officials of security agencies, which the Katsina Governor said they would hold further talks with to map out the modalities of the operations.

Terrorism Charges: Cleric Regains Freedom One Year After Arrest

Boko Haram-act-of terrorism in nigeriaA Muslim cleric arrested last year by the Department of State Security (DSS), in Ogun State over allegation of engaging in terror activities on Monday regained his freedom.

Immediate family members, friends and well wishers one after the other thronged the premises of the Federal High Court in Abeokuta, the state capital, a place they chose as a meeting point awaiting the arrival of Abdul Ganiyu Ibrahim after a year in custody.

A Federal High Court sitting in Abeokuta in June had ordered the immediate release of the suspect with a public apology and payment of N1 million as damages for infringing on his fundamental human rights.

His lawyer,  who also doubles as the Director of Prisoners Rights Advocacy, Mr Adetola Kaseem, accused the DSS of partial  compliance with the directives of the court order.

Ibrahim, 35, a resident of Ijoko Ota, was arrested alongside his wife in July 2014, by men of the DSS.

Army Chief Leads Boko Haram Operation In North East

Tukur-Buratai on Boko Haram The Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenent General Tukur Buratai, escaped attack by whiskers as his advanced team was ambushed by terrorists in Borno State.

The Army Chief had arrived Maiduguri before setting out to Mafa and Gamboru-Ngala, a border town with Niger Republic.

As the convoy moved to Dikwa a message was sent in that an advanced team was ambushed by Boko Haram terrorists.

The operation followed the recent aerial bombardment of terrorists’ enclaves in the Borno State.

Addressing reporters after the operations, Lieutenant General Buratai said he was happy going for the mission with the troops.

“We are very happy to see them. They feel belonged and we also feel being part of them. It is very important to connect properly with the troops in the field,” he said.

The Army Chief told reporters that the intention was to raise the morale of the troops and assure them that the military’s leadership and Nigerians were with them.

The exercise paid-off with the arrest of six insurgents fleeing from their hideouts pretending to be herdsmen.

Lieutenant General Buratai reassured Nigerians that the military was making efforts to end the insurgency in the north-east very soon.

“Boko Haram, in just matter of days, we will end their activities… very soon God’s willing,” he said.

The army says the patrol was to ensure total cleanup of the recovered areas.

On August 13, President Muhammadu Buhari asked Service Chiefs to end the activities of the Boko Haram in the north-east in three months.

In the last five years, the terrorist group has made several attempts to establish an Islamic State and bring an end to western education in the north-east.

Yobe Hospital Gets 20m Naira To Care For Insurgency Victims

Damaturu, Yobe, BombingThe Nigeria Foundation for the Support of Victims of Terrorism, through its Victims Support Fund, has presented a cheque of 20 million Naira to the General Sani Abacha Specialists Hospital in Damaturu, Yobe State, as part of assistance to victims of the attacks of dreaded Boko Haram sect.

The cheque was handed over to the management of the hospital on Saturday in Damaturu, after the foundation and the management of the Hospital signed a Memorandum of Understanding.

Addressing the hospital management, the Director of the Victim Support Fund, Professor Sunday Ochoche, said assisting the victims of the insurgency through the hospital had become necessary, as the attacks on innocent people have led to destruction of property, injuries as well as loss of lives.

He said that the money would help enhance the hospital’s operation in the area of providing free medical treatment to insurgency victims in the state.

Professor Ochoche stated that they were putting every mechanism in place to ensure that the objectives of the foundation on timely assistance to insurgency sufferers were met.

He further explained that they had extended similar gesture to hospitals in Gombe and Maiduguri and that they were targeting other northern states like, Plateau, Taraba and Bauchi.

He called on the management of the hospitals to make the best used of the fund, as such would be the yardstick for further assistance.

Responding, the Medical Director of the Sani Abacha Specialists Hospital Damaturu special Dr. Garba Musa Fika, thanked the group and assured them that the money released would be prudently used for the purpose intended.

He also promised that a committee would be set up to take care of the allocation and management of the fund and ensure an effective feedback mechanism to the support fund.

The Medical Director also said the hospital had, since the commencement of insurgency, been referring victims with referral cases to Federal Medical Centres in Nguru and Azare as well as the Aminu Kano Hospital Kano with the state government footing the bills.

Since the commencement of the Boko Haram insurgency, Yobe State has experienced several cases of attacks, suicide bombings, among others, leading to colossal loss of lives and property, with many maimed.

Military Repels Attempt By Boko Haram To Gain More Territory

Boko HaramTroops of the Nigerian Armed Forces in the north-east have repelled an attack by suspected members of Boko Haram on a military formation in Buni-Yadi, the headquarters of Gujba Local Government Area of the troubled Yobe State, in a renewed attempt to take more territories.

Buni-Yadi is 56 Kilometres south of Damaturu, the state capital and was the base of the insurgents after capturing both Buni-Yadi and Gulani towns which were subsequently reclaimed by security forces in March, 2015.

Since the reclaiming of the two towns, security forces have established a strong base in the town to resist attempts by insurgents to recapture the territory.

A top military officer, who requested not to be mentioned, confirmed the attack to Channels Television.

The officer said the Boko Haram terrorists engaged security forces on ground late evening on Thursday in Buni-Yadi in an effort to regain the territory that will ease their advancement into Damaturu.

The source said though, security forces repelled the attack, casualty figure was unknown at the time of filling the report

Channels Television’s correspondent in Damaturu reported that serious military hardware was in the early hours of Friday being moved towards Buni-Yadi axis which confirmed the clash between the insurgents and security forces.

It was also reported that a fighter jet came to Damaturu, hovering round the town for some minutes before moving southwards towards the troubled Buni-Yadi.

Thursday’s “clash” between security forces and the Boko Haram militants brought serious fear in the minds of Damaturu residents, considering the town’s proximity to Buni-Yadi.

Residents of Buni-Yadi are yet to return to the reclaimed town, as security forces were on surveillance of the town to ensure its safety before the return of the displaced inhabitants.

The communication facilities in the area has long been vandalised by the insurgents, making it impossible to communicate with residents of the troubled town.

Military, Vigilantes Commended For Efforts To Repel Attack On Zabarmari

videosThe Borno State government and residents have commended the Nigerian military and vigilantes for their gallant efforts in repelling Friday night’s attack by insurgents on Zabarmari village, a satellite town outside Maiduguri in volatile north-east Nigeria.

The insurgents had reportedly pitched their tent in Koshebe, a neighbouring town, from where they mobilised and attacked.

They were confronted by the military and youth vigilantes for two hours but later gained entry into Zabarmari, where they looted food items and bombarded the town.

Witnesses say five civilians and two soldiers died in the attack.

Stronghold Of Boko Haram 

Koshebe village in Mafa, barely 27 kilometres away from Maiduguri is now one of the latest strongholds of the Boko Haram insurgents.

Villagers of Zabarmari have fled their town for fear of further attacks from the assailants now just few kilometres away.

Some of the fleeing locals do not feel safe even in Maiduguri, the state’s capital, as they expressed worries that they could still be attacked.

Residents say Friday night’s experience could have been worse if the military did not stand their ground until they were later overpowered.

The Governor of the State, Kashim Shettima, is positive that the insurgents are losing the war.

Governor Kashim equally assured hundreds of locals taking refuge in a school in old Maiduguri to return home.

The 7th Division of the Nigerian Army in Maiduguri has since sent reinforcements to boost the fighting power of troops on ground.

Meanwhile, the Chief of Army Staff in Nigeria, Lt. General Kenneth Minimah, said the Boko Haram terrorists in the north-east have been seriously degraded by troops of the Nigerian military.

Minimah’s statement is coming in spite of the latest attacks by the Boko Haram insurgents in Borno State that have claimed several lives.

At the passing out ceremony of 152 officers of the Direct Short Service Course 22 held at the Nigerian Army School of Infantry Corps, Jaji in Kaduna State on Saturday, the Army Chief tasked the officers on commitment to safeguarding the nation and its citizens.

Nigerian Troops Recover Bomb Laden Vehicle In Borno

Nigerian Troops recovers Vehicle from Boko HaramNigerian troops have recovered a jeep full of Improvised Explosives Devises in Cordon and Search Operations launched after suicide bombing attacks on Zabamari Muna near Maiduguri, Borno State’s capital in the north-east.

The Jeep along with two Hilux vehicles being used by terrorists were destroyed in the course of pursuit and encounter with a group of terrorists trying to escape after simultaneous attacks on targets in the communities on Thursday and Friday.

According to a statement by military spokesman, Major General Chris Olukolade,”a total of six suicide bombers had detonated themselves around the garage killing scores of people while some people were also wounded”. A soldier also died.

“Military Explosives Ordinance experts backed by Police Bomb Disposal Units are continuing with vigorous search for any bombs that might have been hidden or left unexploded in the area,” the statement further read.

Meanwhile, all other offensive operations of counter-terrorist campaign against terrorists are continuing in various fronts.

Additional deployment of men and equipment to enhance the scope of the mission both within the country and at borders are also continuing.

SERAP Asks FG To Provide Medicare For Pregnant Boko Haram Hostages

Rescued From Boko HaramThe Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has asked the Nigerian government to urgently provide and facilitate access to adequate healthcare for the children and women raped and impregnated by Boko Haram militants.

“Having survived the horrific crime of rape and sexual violence, the children and women should be spared further physical and mental torture by ensuring that they are urgently allowed access to all necessary medical treatment.

“Such medical treatment must be provided on a non-discriminatory basis,” a statement issued by SERAP read.

According to SERAP, under international law, all victims of conflict, including rape victims, must receive the best care as soon as possible.

The group stressed that the children and women were entitled, as of right, to enjoy access to good quality medical care, including for sexual and reproductive health.

In the ongoing counter-terrorism operations in Sambisa Forest in Borno State, Nigeria-s north-east, military troops have rescued over 400 women and children, with some pregnant women among them.

Some of the rescued persons have been handed over to the National Emergency Management Agency, which assured the victims of insurgency that they would be taken care of.

Gunmen Kill At Least 15 People In Taraba State

Gunmen localAn attack by gunmen has left at least 15 persons dead in some villages in the Donga Local Government Area of Taraba State, with many people reportedly missing .

Eyewitness said the gunmen first attacked and burnt Ayiase village in Takum Local Government before heading for Tse-gbaun and Gaza villages in Donga.

A man and three of his sons were killed in Gaza village while three other victims were killed in Tse-gbaun and Ayiase villages.

Reports say there have been huge movement of people out of the communities to seek refuge in other towns.

Donga Local Government is one of the areas in the state where run-off election had been scheduled to hold on Saturday.

No group has claimed responsibility.

But a spokesman for the Taraba State Government on Security matters, Kabiru Pitiko, told Channels Television that the information gathered showed that cattle rustlers were behind the attack.

“From the information we are getting, it is some cattle rustlers that are bringing the problem. They will go and steal cattle from the Fulani and the Fulani will react,” he said.

Mr Pitiko further said that some security personnel had been deployed to the area to restore order, stressing that the attack will not affect the scheduled election.

“The situation now is that everything is in order now. We have sent some security personnel to go and take care of the place.

“The security report we are getting from there is that everything is normal.

“It will not affect the election,” he said.

Two Chadian Army Helicopters Bomb Boko Haram Positions

Boko_Haram_Gombe_AttackTwo Chadian army helicopters bombed Boko Haram positions on Sunday, killing several dozen militants near a village on the border with Niger, a senior Niger military official told Reuters.

Niger and Chadian soldiers have been fighting the Islamist militants in a joint mission with Nigeria and Cameroon since March 2, in a bid to end Boko Haram’s six-year insurgency in north-east Nigeria.

The helicopters destroyed several vehicles and motorcycles carrying fighters in the village of Djaboullam, which lies east across the border from the Niger town of Diffa, the Niger officer said.

“Niger and Chad had received intelligence that a group of Boko Haram fighters had gathered in the border village,” the officer said.

The Niger military officer, who requested anonymity, said Boko Haram fighters had moved to Djaboullam after they were chased from other towns by the Nigerian army.

Militants were also gathering in other border towns from where they routinely launch mortar rounds into Niger, he said.

“We know they are massing in Malam Fatori, waiting for us to come,” he said, referring to another north-east town about three kilometers (2 miles) from Bosso, the nearest town across the border in Niger.

The regional offensive launched this year came as Nigeria, Africa’s most populous country and biggest economy, prepares to hold elections on March 28.

The offensive has succeeded in driving the militants from several towns and districts they previously held. Chad and Niger forces captured the town of Damasak from the militants last week.