Borno State Commits 100m Naira To Rebuilding Dalori, Others

Kassim-Shettima on rebuilding of DaloriThe Borno State Government has set aside 100 million Naira for the rebuilding of Dalori and Mairi villages recently attacked by suspected members of Boko Haram. 

Governor Kashim Shettima briefed reporters about the rehabilitation plan on Monday after a trip to Saudi Arabia where he sort critical development partnership with the Islamic Development Bank on rebuilding towns affected by insurgency.

He expressed sadness over the recent attacks, describing them as a setback to the ongoing rebuilding efforts.

One hundred million Naira would be set aside for the project, the governor told villagers in Dalori where over 65 locals were killed and more than 10,000 people displaced.

Late last year, the Borno State government commenced a rebuilding programme in communities destroyed by insurgents.

The plan is for the Internally Displaced Persons taking refuge in Maiduguri to begin to return to their original homes for an official closure of the makeshift camps by May.

A committee had already been set up to oversee the rebuilding of the recently attacked villages.

On the current state of the counter-terrorism operations in the northeast, a Borno Senator, Bashir Garbai, under whose constituency the recent attacks occurred, claimed that both the military and Boko Haram had full control of three separate local government areas in Borno State and share control in all the 21 other local government areas.

But Governor Shettima believes recent attacks in villages around Maiduguri are a backlash of successful military operations in Boko Haram hideouts in the Sambisa forest.

He insisted that the outlawed Boko Haram terrorists have been hugely decimated within the last seven months.

The military authorities are yet to substantiate or dispel the claims that Abadam, Mobbar and Kalabalge Local Government Areas of Borno State are still being controlled by Boko Haram.

Boko Haram activities in the northeast have left over two million persons displaced.

The terrorist group is attempting to establish and Islamic State in the region and end Western education.

‘Bring Back Our Girls’ Group Seeks More Help For IDPs

Boko haramAs Nigeria joins the rest of the world to mark the World Refugees Day, the Bring Back Our Girls campaign group has urged the Nigerian government to urgently render more help of Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs).

Speaking at their daily sit-out session in Abuja on Saturday, one of the leaders of the group, Mrs Oby Ezekwesili, said the Federal Government had been slow in responding to the humanitarian crisis in the IDPs camps.

The group hosted some IDPs, as part of their activities to mark the World Refugees Day.

According to the United Nations High Commission for Refugees, the crisis in north-east Nigeria has displaced over 1.4 million people while 5.4 million people have been traumatised by the crisis.

There are 27 IDPs camps in the Federal Capital Territory (Abuja) alone, housing over 16,000 displaced persons.

One of the displaced persons, Liyatu Ayuba, who is a widow, said she lost her husband, a police officer, in an attack by the Boko Haram sect in 2009.

In 2012, she arrived in Abuja after an attack on Gwoza, Borno State in the company of her son, who was injured in the attack.

The Bring Back Our Girls group are alarmed at the humanitarian crisis in the north-east and they hope that urgent steps are taken by the relevant authorities to ameliorate the situation.

The Boko Haram terrorist group has carried out series of attacks on communities in the north-east, forcing people to flee their homes for safety.

The new administration has on several occasions pledged its commitment to ending the insurgency in the oil-rich nation’s north-east.

Nyanya Bombing: Lack Of Protection Screen Stalls Ogwuche’s Trial

Aminu-Ogwuche Nyanya bomb suspectThe trial of Aminu Ogwuche and five others suspected to have masterminded a bomb blast at a motor park in Nyanya, a town in the outskirts of Abuja, has been stalled again following the lack of a screen to protect the witnesses.

The trial judge, Justice Ahmed Mohammed, had in the last two hearings slated the case for trial-within-trial to ascertain the voluntariness of the statements made by the accused persons after they alleged that statement were given under “severe beating and torture” by officials of the Department of State Service (DSS).

However, at the resumed hearing on Wednesday, the inability of the court registrar to provide a screen to protect the witnesses, who are staffers of the DSS, forced the court to adjourn the trial.

Justice Mohammed subsequently adjourned the case to 16 and 17 of June for trial.

The court had earlier given an approval for the witnesses to give their testimonies wearing masks.

The accused persons, Aminu Ogwuche, Ahmed Abubakar, Mohammed Ishaq, Ya’u Saidu, Anas Isa, and Adamu Yusuf, were alleged to have masterminded the April 14, 2014 Nyanya Motor Park blasts that killed scores of passengers and destroyed several vehicles.

On Tuesday, the Federal Government sought the conduct of the trial of six persons with the new administration of Justice Act.

At the resumed hearing of the case before it was adjourned to Wednesday, the Director of Public Prosecutions, Mr Mohammed Diri, requested that the court should try the accused persons under the new administration of Criminal Justice Act, 2015.

The trial has been adjourned more than four times this year for several reasons.

260 Persons Rescued From Boko Haram Moved To Military Facility

Rescued women and cildren from Boko HaramSome 260 women and children rescued from the Boko Haram terrorists’ stronghold, Sambisa Forest, have been relocated from a camp in the north-eastern city of Yola to an unspecified military facility.

The movement of the rescued persons on Thursday came after camp officials said they suspected that some of them have been communicating with the militants.

Rescued from the dissident group terrorising communities in Nigeria’s north-east, they have become refugees in their own country, but there seems to be no guarantee of a permanent abode, at least for now.

Government authorities said the rescued women and children would be housed in the military facility under the Countering Violent Extremist (CVE) programme, a government’s soft approach to combating terrorism.

The 260 women and children were brought to Mal Kohi Camp in Yola, on May 2 after their rescue from the Boko Haram terrorists in Sambisa Forest in Borno State.

The military has continued counter-terrorism operations in the forest to clear the insurgents from their camps in the region.

Some terrorists have fled their camps and had massed in some communities within the state, attacking residents.

Rescue of persons held captive by the Boko Haram sect started last month and so far over 800 persons have been rescued.

Lawmakers Task Executive On Rescue Of Chibok Girls

House of Representatives in Nigeria On Chibok GirlsThe House of Representatives in Nigeria has urged the Executive Arm of Government to do everything possible to rescue the over 200 school girls abducted from Chibok exactly one year ago.

Debating a motion on the matter on Tuesday, lawmakers said it was not enough to just remember the abducted girls and stressed the need for both the legislators and the executive to do everything possible to rescue the girls.

The House also commended the armed forces for their recent efforts at fighting the insurgents and also the Bring Back Our Girls Campaigners who have continued to remind Nigerians of the need to demand for the release of the abducted girls.

The girls were abducted from their school’s dormitory on April 14, 2014 by members of the Boko Haram sect.

Although remarkable breakthroughs have been recorded in the counter-terrorism operations in the north-east, the girls have not been seen by the troops fighting the insurgents.

The government is, however, hopeful that the girls would be rescued, as troops are making efforts to clear terrorists from Borno State.

In the last seven weeks the military had been able to clear terrorists from Adamawa And Yobe States, reclaiming communities held by the dissident group trying to set up an Islamic State in the region.

Meanwhile, Nigeria’s President-elect, Muhammadu Buhari, has pledged that his administration would do all possible to rescue the schoolgirls.

The promise comes on the first year anniversary of the abduction of the girls from their dormitory at the Government Girls College, Chibok, Borno State, by Boko Haram militants.

The Boko Haram leader, Abubakar Shekau, had in a video released months after the girls were abducted said that the girls had been married off.

IDPs From North-east Nigeria Fear Boko Haram May Return

displaced personsInternally Displaced Persons (IDPs) from Gwoza in north-east Nigeria, who relocated to Abuja, the nation’s capital, are excited about the re-capture of communities in parts of the north-east, but are also concerned that the Boko Haram extremist might return.

To enable them return to their communities, they are asking the government to put measures in place to ensure that the Boko Haram terrorists will not return to their communities.

They made the request on Sunday when Channels Television’s correspondent, Amaka Okafor, visited the IDPs camp in Apo area of the Federal Capital Territory.

“Not much has changed at the Internally Displaced Persons’ camp. The make shift houses have poor sanitary conditions and lack basic amenities,” she said.

However, more of their worries are the chances of renewed attack if they returned home.

They are seeking government’s assurance that arms and ammunitions would be mopped up in the areas and that soldiers and other security agencies would remain in the communities for at least six-months after re-capturing the territories controlled by the Boko Haram sect.

That way they would be happy to return home, they said.

For others, however, their return will depend on first-hand information from their relations, before they can make that move

One thing is certain, they are tired of their condition of living  in the camp and are no doubt ready to return home, but they want the Federal Government to do more than recapture their communities by ensuring the security of lives and properties before they can return home.

Boko Haram Terrorists Drowned

Nigeria’s military has increased the tempo of the counter-terrorism operations in the north-east, with the support of troops from other countries bordering Nigeria in the region.

A spokesman for the military said on sunday that a large number of Boko Haram terrorists drowned in the Lake Chad as they fled the heavy bombardment by Nigerian Air force.

In a statement, Major General Chris Olukolade said the insurgents had buried land mines in over 1,500 spots on the routes leading to the town.

He said all the landmines were skillfully cleared one after the other.

“The mining of the grounds could not save the terrorists from the aggressive move of advancing troops.

“A large number of terrorists have drowned in the Lake Chad as they fled the heavy bombardment by Nigerian Air force heralding the advance of Nigerian troops on mission to flush them out of Baga.

“Not even the strategy of over 1,500 spots with landmines on the routes leading to the town could save the terrorists from the aggressive move of advancing troops,” he said.

Since the attack on communities in the north-east by the terrorist group began over five years ago, over 600, 000 person have been displaced, with some running to neighbouring countries for refuge.

Bomb Blast In Kaduna Leaves Many Injured

bomb-explosionSeveral people have been injured, some critically, after a bomb exploded in a suburb of Kaduna metropolis in Kaduna State.

An eye witness said the blast occurred at about 8:30pm local time on Tuesday in the Asikolaye area.

The number of victims is yet to be ascertained.

Kaduna Commissioner of Police, Umar Shehu, told Channels Television that the attack was suspected to have been carried out by members of a terrorist group, Boko Haram.

Meanwhile, the number of deaths in the Maiduguri market attack that occurred around 8:30am on Tuesday has risen to a little over 18.

Sources at the State Specialist Hospital confirmed to Channels Television that more than 18 bodies were brought to the morgue with over 20 people critically wounded.

The defence ministry said in a tweet that an “Improvised Explosive Device” went off in “a van loaded with charcoal” and that the Monday Market area had been cordoned off.

And in southwest Nigeria, an improvised bomb went off in Ile Ife, in Osun State.

The device was said to have exploded behind a house not far from the family compound of a serving commissioner.

No casualty was reported but the house where the explosion occurred was seriously damaged.