Abule Ado: Lagos Govt Announces N2billion Relief Fund, Sets Up Investigative Committee

The Lagos State government has announced N2billion relief fund for the victims of the Abule-Ado explosion in Amuwo Odofin Local Government Area.

The state governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu made the announcement while addressing journalists at the scene of the explosion on Monday.

Sanwo-Olu added that the sum of N250million will be released immediately and urged well-meaning Nigerians and organisations to contribute to the fund.

READ ALSO: Abule-Ado Explosion: I Have Never Seen Anything Like This, Says Sanwo-Olu

The governor also announced that an investigative committee has been set up to look into the incident behind the explosion.

The investigative committee will be headed by the deputy governor, Obafemi Hamzat.

The committee has been given two weeks to do an extensive investigation into the cause of the incident and what needs to be done to ensure that this does not repeat itself again.

Members of the committee include Commissioner for Special Duty as the co-chairman; Commissioner for Education; Commissioner for Finance; Commissioner for Environment; Permanent Secretary; the Ministry of Health, Permanent Secretary; Works and Infrastructure; the Commissioner of Police or the Deputy Commissioner of Police will also be part of the committee.

Others include the Senior Special Assistant on Security; Chairman of the Local government; Representative of the CDC and CDA; Representative of St. Bethlehem Girls college; Commissioner for the Ministry of Physical Planning; Representative of the NNPC; National Emergency Management Authority (NEMA), and two representatives of the host community.

Governor Sanwo-Olu also adds that he will be meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari later today to ask for his assistance.

President Buhari had earlier on Sunday sympathised with victims of the Abule-Ado explosion which he described as a black Sunday.

He sent his condolence to the victims, their families, government and people of Lagos State.

See photos from the governor’s visit to the scene…

Bribery Allegations: Russian Economy Minister Detained

Bribery Allegation: Russian Economic Minister Detained
Russian economy minister Alexei Ulyukayev CREDIT: REUTERS

Russia’s economy minister, Alexei Ulyukayev has been detained in connection with bribery allegations.

Russia’s main anti-corruption body, the Investigative Committee, has revealed that Mr Ulyukayev received a payment of $2million.

The bribe was allegedly for his ministry’s positive assessment that led to the oil giant Rosneft acquiring a 50% stake in another oil company, Bashneft.

“Ulyukayev was detained at night, immediately after interrogation,” an Investigative Committee official told Reuters.

He is the highest-ranking Russian official to be detained since the 1991 coup attempt in what was then the USSR.

The Investigative Committee said the minister would soon be charged, and if convicted he could face prison sentence of eight and 15 years.

FG Sets Up 15-Man Committee To Investigate Gwako Clashes

The Federal Government has constituted a 15-man reconciliation and investigation committee to investigate the recent communal clash in Gwako village in the Federal Capital Territory, which left two people dead.

Speaking at an emergency meeting of the villagers and traditional chiefs, the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory; Senator Bala Mohammed gave the committee one week to submit its findings and vowed that all those involved in the violent clash would be made to face the full wrath of the law.

Following threats of reprisal attacks by the Fulani people, the minister directed the FCT commissioner of police, Mr Adenrele Shinaba to heighten security around the vicinity to ensure safety of lives.

A makeshift refugee camp has been put in place to house hundreds of these displaced Fulani people that was attacked by Gwari people in Gwagwalada area council of the FCT.

This bloody clash between the Fulani and the Gwari people over cattle grazing is the first of its kind in ten years of their co-existence behind the university of Abuja grounds.

According to the FCT Minister, Senator Bala Mohammed, the violence which has drawn huge attention will not be taken lightly, as a 15-man committee has been constituted to start investigation and the minister vowed to fish out the perpetrators of the dastardly act.

At the refugee camp, many of the Fulanis who challenged the government to live up to its promise were also quick to appeal for calm.

Narrating the incidence in their local language, they ask for increased security and relief materials.

However representative of the Gwari people, Alkali Ibrahim said the Federal Government’s investigation is apt but rumours of reprisal attacks by the Fulanis cannot be ignored.