The Department of State Service (DSS), has filed an application before a Magistrate Court sitting in Abuja seeking to withdraw the case of criminal conspiracy and criminal intimidation preferred against the leader of the Independent People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu.
At the resumed hearing of the case on Monday, the prosecutor told the court that the DSS had uncovered fresh facts against the accused person who is also being tried for unlawfully belonging to an illegal society.
He added that the facts against the accused person requires further investigation.
Lawyer to the accused person, however, opposed the application on the ground that the State Service had refused to comply with the order of the court granting the accused person bail since October 19, 2015.
He further prayed the court to order the DSS to transfer the accused person to prison custody for easy access by his lawyers.
Magistrate Shuaibu Usman, after listening to arguments for and against the application for discontinuance, adjourned the case till December 1, 2015 for ruling.
The paramount ruler and Obi of Onitsha in Anambra State, Igwe Alfred Achebe, has condemned the widespread protests by the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), who are calling for the separation of the entire south-east region from Nigeria.
The condemnation came on the heels of agitations and protests for Biafra nation across parts of the country, especially as the protesters clamoured for the release of the Director of Radio Biafra, Nnamdi Kanu, who had been in detention since October.
Speaking in an interview shortly after his inauguration as the Chancellor of Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Igwe Achebe told the protesters to shelve the idea of secession from the rest of Nigeria.
He said that such agitation would only amount to violating the constitution of the country and the principles of democracy.
The traditional ruler reminded the pro Biafra agitators of the inherent dangers involved in their action, emphasising that Nigeria remained a united and indivisible country irrespective of the numerous challenges.
He urged them to channel all their grievances to their elected representatives in the National Assembly for consideration, rather than embarking on violent protests that could result into breakdown of law and order in the region.
The new Chancellor also expressed regret over the renewed agitation for a Biafran state, stressing that such protests in the name of Biafra would not solve the various economic and social problems confronting the south-east zone or add any value to the development and progress of the entire country.
According to him, the south-east remained an integral part of Nigeria and the leaders from the area so much believed in the unity of the country and would always work towards sustaining such bond.
It was total lock down on Tuesday at the Eleme axis of Rivers State as pro-Biafra supporters staged a protest in solidarity with the Biafra Radio host, Nnamdi Kalu, who has been detained by the DSS.
The protesters who stormed the streets in their hundreds were, however, prevented by security agents from proceeding to Port Harcourt, the Rivers State capital.
Although the protesters appeared resolute to continue their march, security operatives managed to maintain the barricade, causing many commuters to resort to trekking long distances as a result of the gridlock caused by the face-off.
Some of the protesters told Channels Television that they would not back down from pursuing the freedom of the one they call their leader.
They called on the federal government to heed their cry and that of other pro-Biafran supporters for self-determination.
The Inspector General of Police (IGP), Solomon Arase, says enough is enough for the youths from the eastern part of Nigeria parading themselves as promoters of Biafra.
The IGP, who spoke to Channels Television earlier on Sunday, cautioned the youths against obstructing the peace of the land.
His warning is coming against the backdrop of massive protests for the actualisation of the Sovereign State of Biafra in Asaba, the Delta State’s capital, Awka, the capital of Anambra State and again in Enugu on Sunday.
Meanwhile, former Head of State, General Yakubu Gowon, has dismissed any potential threat to Nigeria’s unity as a result of the activities of some pro-Biafra group.
General Gowon, who noted that Nigerians have put behind them the ugly memories of the 1967 civil war, pointed out that those behind the protests were youths who have no idea what the war cost Nigerians.
The elder statesman was speaking in Lafia, the Nasarwa State capital shortly after a malaria eradication campaign visit to Governor Tanko Al-Makura.
He expressed confidence that the campaign was being driven by just a few people and that majority of the Igbo people do not share the view.
While admitting that they protesters had the right to express their feelings he stated “with Biafra it is finished”.
Police have warned two pro-Biafran groups in Anambra State to cease operations or face arrest.
The police said the warning was issued to check the rampage of the members of the Movement for the Actualisation of the Sovereign State of Biafra (MASSOB) and the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) in various parts of Anambra state.
The State Commissioner of Police, Mr Hassan Karma, issued the warning on Friday, insisting that the groups have been banned by the State government.
“The government has made it very clear that the activities of IPOB and MASSOB is banned in Anambra.
“Traditional rulers have come out and disassociated themselves from it. They said that they were alive and witnessed the Biafran war and know how it affected them. They said that today, we have a country, nobody should create problem for anyone at all,” Mr Karma, said, quoting the traditional rulers.
He stressed that no one should be allowed to hide under any guise to perpetrate crime in Anambra State.
“Anybody who insists on committing crime, whatever name the person has, will be definitely arrested. Our men are all out to see to the arrest and prosecution of such individuals,” the police commissioner said.
Forty-three persons suspected to be members of the Movement for the Actualization of the Sovereign State of Biafra (MASSOB) and the Independent People of Biafra (IPOB) have been arrested by the State Joint Security Operations and paraded at the Headquarters of Anambra State Police Command in Awka.
The suspects who have been arrested in Nnewi and Okpoko in Ogbaru Local Government Area of the state are said to be on a mission to wreak havoc, but intelligence report filters helped the police.
Twenty-eight of them were arrested at Nnewi where they attacked a Police patrol team while 15 were nabbed at Okpoko, a territory that could be referred to as their stronghold.
Items found on them included MASSOB ID card, tellers used for payment into the group’s account and charms.
Some of the suspects who did not deny their involvement with the group, said they went for thanksgiving to mark the 16th year of existence of MASSOB.
Speaking on the development, the Special Adviser to Anambra State Governor, Chikodi Anara, reiterated the readiness of the state to stamp out any form of criminal activity by any group that would hold the people of the state to ransom.
Though the suspects were arrested, they still maintained that they are a non-violent group that are only committed to the cause of the Igbo nation, maintaining that ‘no matter what happens, Biafra is like a sun that cannot go dim’.
However, the State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Hassan Karma, said the Joint Security Operations will stop at nothing to ensure that the state is safe for its citizenry, while surveillance operations aimed at supporting what the state government wants to achieve for the state, in terms of security, will continue.