Ousted FIFA Executive Warner Rejoices In U.S. World Cup Flop

fifa former vice president, jack warner
Jack Warner

Disgraced former FIFA vice-president Jack Warner, the Trinidad businessman banned for life from football after charges in a US corruption investigation, was joyful at the Americans ouster from the 2018 World Cup.

“I wanted to party,” Warner said in a Trinidad radio interview, according to a story on the Trinidad Express newspaper website. “I have not been in better spirits. This is the happiest day of my life.”

Warner, a former president of North American regional football group CONCACAF, was charged with wire fraud, racketeering and money laundering in a major US scandal that led to changes at FIFA and his being banned in September of last year.

So when the US squad lost 2-1 at Trinidad and Tobago on Tuesday and were undone when Panama and Honduras took victories to pass them on the final table, Warner had a feeling of payback.

Warner said the Americans “reduced football in CONCACAF to a nightmare. They have used their government to help to dismember FIFA in a way that is unimaginable. And last night on the field of play Trinidad and Tobago reduced them to their knees.”

“For me personally, it has reduced the US to a laughingstock… As far as I am concerned this is the beginning of the end for US football. Nobody in CONCACAF likes the US.”

Warner said he knew there was celebration in the United States at his downfall from football and took pleasure in seeing the US disappointing flop, the Americans missing out on their first World Cup since 1986.

“Last September 27 when the judge ruled against Jack Warner there was a party in the US, they were quite happy,” Warner said.

“Knowing that this has happened I wanted to go out and party as they partied last September when a judge ruled against me. I wanted to party. This was my personal feeling.”

AFP

Fifa Bans Arrested Officials Over Fraud Probe

FifaThe Ethics Committee of world football governing body, Fifa has banned 11 top officials including its executive members from all football-related activities.

The banned individuals are: Jeffrey Webb, Eduardo Li, Julio Rocha, Costas Takkas, Jack Warner.

Others are Eugenio Figueredo, Rafael Esquivel, José Maria Marin, Nicolás Leoz, Chuck Blazer and Daryll Warner.

These individuals were indicted and arrested on bribery and racketeering charges relating to the bidding process for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.

South Africa’s Sports Minister, Fikile Mbalula, has said that South Africa’s successful bid for the 2010 World Cup has not been tainted in any shape or form.

Mbalula was speaking a day after the game was plunged into turmoil following the arrest of senior Fifa officials on corruption charges.

He also said that all 2010 soccer World Cup funds are accounted for and audited.

Blatter Refuses To Quit

Meanwhile, Sepp Blatter refused to resign following a request from UEFA chief, Michel Platini, and then opened the 65th Fifa congress in Zurich.

The 79-year-old held an emergency meeting with key Fifa officials on Friday after world football’s governing body was subjected to yet more damaging corruption claims.

He then met Platini alone, at which point he was urged to quit, but refused and vowed to carry on with his mandate.

Blatter, who is seeking a fifth term as president appears to still have the support of the Confederation Of African Football as well as the Asian Football Confederation.

Giroud Undergoes Surgery To Left Tibia

GiroudArsenal Striker, Olivier Giroud, has undergone successful surgery to repair a small fracture to his left tibia.

A statement on Arsenal Football Club’s official website confirmed this.

Scans following Saturday’s match at Everton confirmed the injury and after specialist opinions in the following days, the decision was taken to have surgery in London on Wednesday afternoon.

Olivier is expected to return to action in approximately four months.

There were expectations that Club Manager, Arsene Wenger, would be forced to sign a new striker to keep the team’s challenge for honours on track, but the manager, while speaking to the media on Wednesday night quashed the hopes.

“Giroud had surgery today from a broken tibia and he will be out for 3-4 months on the competition side. That means he will be capable to play again in the Premier League certainly at the end of December because he will be out for two months.

“By the time he comes back, that goes three to four months. You ask me straight away who we will buy? I give you the answer straight away – at the moment nobody.”

Court of Arbitration for Sport faults Bin Hammam’s ban

The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) has overturned the a life ban placed on former FIFA presidential candidate Mohamed Bin Hammam from all soccer-related activity over bribery allegations meaning Hammam’s appeal was victorious pending the time a proper investigation is completed on the allegations meted against him as it will be re-opened.

Qatari Bin Hammam remained suspended from the game after the Asian Football Confederation (AFC), which he previously headed, opened a disciplinary case against their former boss over alleged financial wrongdong earlier this week.

He was banned for 30 days, which was extended to a worldwide ban by FIFA on Wednesday.

The CAS said it upheld Bin Hammam’s appeal therefore annulling the decision rendered by the FIFA Appeal Committee and lifted the life ban imposed on Mr Bin Hammam.

Bin Hammam, a former member of FIFA’s executive committee, challenged Sepp Blatter for the presidency of soccer’s world ruling body last year.

He withdrew his candidacy, and was then provisionally suspended, days before the June election over allegations that he had tried to buy the votes of Caribbean officials by handing them $40,000 each in brown envelopes at a meeting in Port of Spain.

The CAs said further that Mr Bin Hammam was more likely the source of the monies that were brought into Trinidad and Tobago and eventually distributed at the meeting by Mr Warner and in this way, his conduct, in collaboration with and most likely induced by Mr Warner, may not have complied with the highest ethical standards that should govern the world of football and other sports.

He was banned for life and subsequently lost an appeal at FIFA. Proceedings against former CONCACAF president Jack Warner, also present at the meeting in Trinidad & Tobago, were dropped after he resigned his post.

CAS said the three-man panel voted 2-1 in Bin Hammam’s favour but added that his behaviour was not of the highest ethical standard.