Air Force Denies Reported Bombardment Of Yobe Community

 

The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) has denied reports linking one of its fighter jets to the bombing of a community in Yobe State. 

In a statement on Wednesday, the NAF spokesman, Air Commodore Edward Gabkwet explained that the agency last conducted a mission in Yobe State earlier in the month. 

“NAF last conducted a mission into Yobe State (Not Yunusari LGA) on 5 September 2021 and it was an armed recce,” he said. “No bomb or missile was even expended”.

READ ALSO: Many Feared Dead, Others Injured As Jet Reportedly Bombs Yobe Community

The NAF spokesperson’s comment came hours after residents of Buwari community in Yunusari Local Government Area said several persons had been killed and others injured in the reported bombardment.

A source in the community, Haruna Ali, had told Channels Television that three Toyota Hilux brought the injured victims to Geidam General Hospital.

The community is located 20 kilometres away from Kannamma, the headquarters of Yunusari Local Government Area of the North East state.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Many Feared Dead, Others Injured As Jet Reportedly Bombs Yobe Community

Yobe is situated in North-East Nigeria
A map of Yobe, a state in north-east Nigeria.

 

Several persons have reportedly been killed and others injured in an aerial bombardment in Buwari community, Yunusari Local Government Area of Yobe State on Wednesday. 

A source in the community confirmed the incident to Channels Television, explaining that those injured in the incident are receiving treatment at the General Hospitals in Geidam and Gashua.

Another source, Haruna Ali, said that three Toyota Hilux brought the injured victims to Geidam General Hospital.

As of the time of this report, the acting spokesman of the Nigerian Army, Sector 2 Operation Hadin Kai in Damaturu, Lieutenant Kennedy Anyanwu, told Channels Television that they are yet to receive any situation report about the incident.

The community is located 20 kilometres away from Kannamma, the headquarters of Yunusari Local Government Area of the North East state.

Yobe, and other states in the North East have been battling insurgency for the last decade with many killed and others rendered homeless.

Although critics say the war against insurgency is far from over, the Federal Government and security agencies maintain that the country is recording successes in the region.

According to the Nigerian Army, the insurgents are surrendering in droves due to sustained onslaught from security operatives.

But as security forces continue to battle the criminals, calls to grant them amnesty have sharply divided opinion in the country.

Wreckage Of Missing Air Force Jet Reportedly Found In Borno

A file photo of NAF personnel with an Alpha-jet of the Nigerian Air Force. Photo: [email protected]

 

There are indications that the wreckage of the missing Alpha jet belonging to the Nigerian Air Force has been found in Konduga Local Government Area of Borno State which is about 30 kilometres outside of Maiduguri, the state capital.

Although the Air Force authorities are yet to confirm this development, sources on Friday said the fighter jet was seen flying around Goni Kurmiri and Njimia villages after attacking terrorist locations at the Sambisa axis.

The sources, however, did not give any information about the whereabouts of the pilot and the co-pilot.

Air Force authorities had announced that the plane lost contact with the radar on Wednesday evening while on an interdiction mission in support of ground troops as part of the ongoing counterinsurgency operations in the northeast.

Earlier on Friday, the Air Force also announced the possibility that the plane may have crashed.

According to a statement issued by the NAF Director of Public Relations and Information, Air Commodore Edward Gabkwet, the aircraft marked – NAF475 – had two crew members on board when it went missing on Wednesday in Borno State.

READ ALSO: NAF Alpha-Jet Goes Missing After Losing Contact With Radar In Borno

While the cause of the crash and the whereabouts of the crew members who are NAF personnel remain unknown, the pilots were identified as Flight Lieutenant John Abolarinwa and Flight Lieutenant Ebiakpo Chapele.

Meanwhile, a faction of Boko Haram has claimed that it shot down the plane with some of the pictures showing the wreckage of a plane now being circulated on social media.

According to a video released on Friday, the terrorists claimed responsibility for shooting down a Nigerian fighter jet.

The video, which could not be verified by Channels Television, was released on a Boko Haram social media channel showing a militant standing on what the group claims are the wreckage of the jet. It shows the Nigerian flag and number NAF 475 on its fuselage.

“Nigeria air force jet fighter… was sent to Sambisa to fight the Mujahideen,” the militant said.

Nigeria’s military have been battling jihadists in the northeast of the country for more than a decade and have recently been fighting them in their stronghold in Sambisa forest in Borno state.

In 2014, Boko Haram said it shot down another Nigerian air force jet and showed a video claiming to have beheaded its pilot.

Since the Islamist insurgency broke out in 2009, the conflict has killed around 36,000 people in the region and displaced some two million from their homes.

The violence has also spread to neighbouring Niger, Chad and Cameroon.

The Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) split from Boko Haram in 2016 and has since become a prominent threat, attacking soldiers and bases while killing and kidnapping civilians.

At the start of the year, President Muhammadu Buhari appointed new military commanders after coming under pressure to better tackle insecurity and inject new life into the armed forces.

157 Feared Dead As Ethiopian Airlines Plane Crashes En Route To Kenya

 

An Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 737 crashed Sunday morning en route from Addis to Nairobi with 149 passengers and eight crew believed to be on board, Ethiopian Airlines said, with the prime minister offering condolences to victims’ families.

“We hereby confirm that our scheduled flight ET 302 from Addis Ababa to Nairobi was involved in an accident today,” the airline said in a statement.

“It is believed that there were 149 passengers and eight crew on board the flight but we are currently confirming the details of the passenger manifest for the flight.”

READ ALSO: Twelve Dead In Colombia Plane Crash

The airline said “search and rescue operations are in progress and we have no confirmed information about survivors or any possible casualties.”

The plane took off at 8:38 am (0638 GMT) from Bole International Airport and “lost contact” six minutes later.

Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed’s office tweeted it “would like to express its deepest condolences to the families of those that have lost their loved ones on Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 737 on a regularly scheduled flight to Nairobi, Kenya this morning.

Indonesian Rescue Diver Dies In Jet Crash Search

Rescue team unload parts of the ill-fated Lion Air flight JT 610, recovered during search operations from the sea, at Jakarta port, on November 3, 2018. / AFP

 

An Indonesian diver died while recovering body parts from the ill-fated Lion Air plane which crashed into the sea killing 189 people, an official said Saturday.

Syachrul Anto, 48, who died on Friday, was part of the team searching for body parts and debris from the jet in the Java Sea.

“He was a volunteer with the Search and Rescue Agency,” Isswarto, commander of the Indonesian navy’s search and rescue division, told AFP.

It is believed he died from decompression.

“He was found by the SAR team, fainted. He was treated by our doctors after he regained consciousness, we sent him to the chamber for decompression.

“We have all the equipment, however, God’s will says differently,” national search and rescue agency head Muhammad Syaugi said at a press conference.

Anto had previously served in Palu which suffered an earthquake and tsunami in September and was also involved in recovering the bodies and debris from an Air Asia plane crash nearly four years ago.

The Lion Air plane which crashed Monday was en route from Jakarta to Pangkal Pinang city on Sumatra island.

It plunged into the water just minutes after takeoff, killing everyone on board.

At least 73 bags containing body parts have been retrieved from the waters so far but only four victims have been identified.

Officials on Thursday retrieved the flight data recorder but are still searching for the second black box, the cockpit voice recorder, which could answer the question as to why the brand new Boeing-737 MAX 8 crashed.

“We have heard a weak ‘ping’ … the divers are still searching for it,” Syaugi said.

– Assistance from other countries –
Two days after the flight data recorder was recovered, investigators at Indonesia’s national transportation safety committee have yet to download the key data due to salt residue on the memory card.

Nurcahyo Utomo, head of aircraft transport accident investigation at the NTSC said, said there were “some obstacles” and the process required more time than expected.

The committee has been receiving help from their American counterparts at the US National Transportation Safety Board, but will be getting additional assistance from Australia, Utomo added.

“This afternoon, investigators from the Australian Transport Safety Bureau will arrive to help download the black box data”, he said.

Saudi Arabia has also asked for permission to send an observer, but to learn from the whole process and not to assist, Utomo added.

Lion Air’s admission that the doomed jet had a technical issue on a previous flight — as well its abrupt fatal dive — have raised questions about whether it had mechanical faults specific to the new model.

Founded in 1999, Lion Air is a budget airline operating in Indonesia and in some parts of Southeast Asia, Australia and the Middle East.

But it has been plagued by safety concerns and customer complaints over unreliable scheduling and poor service.

The carrier has been involved in a number of incidents including a fatal 2004 crash and a collision between two Lion Air planes at Jakarta’s Soekarno-Hatta airport.

Air Asia: Report Won’t Include Black Box Data

asiaAn Indonesian investigator said on Tuesday that the prior report into last month’s crash of an Air Asia passenger jet that killed 162 people will exempt analysis of the black box flight recorders.

The National Transportation Safety Committee will submit its findings this week to the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) on Air Asia’s first crash.

The Airbus AIR.PA A320-200 vanished from radar screens on December 28, less than halfway into a two-hour flight from Surabaya, Indonesia’s second-biggest city, to Singapore. There were no survivors.

A multinational search and recovery operation have recovered 70 bodies and hopes to find more after locating the fuselage of the plane. But days of rough weather and poor underwater visibility have hampered navy divers’ efforts.

NTSC investigator Suryanto said that the report which the ICAO requires within 30 days after the accident, would include “information on the plane, the number of passengers and other necessary information.”

It would not include analysis from the cockpit voice recorder and flight data recorder, found by divers beneath Java Sea.

Information from radar and the aircraft’s two “black box” flight recorders provides a clearer view of what occurred during the final minutes of Flight QZ8501.

Transport Minister, Ignasius Jonan, told a parliamentary hearing last week that, the plane had climbed faster than normal in its final minutes, and then stalled, based on radar data.

NTSC head Tatang Kurniadi said, the NTSC will hold an annual media conference this week to deliberate on the agency’s achievements over the past year. The agency is not expected to discuss details of  its investment into the Air Asia crash.

Air Force jet crashes in Kaduna; ex-chief of staff dies

A Nigerian Air Force F7-Ni single seat fighter jet, on a routine training exercise, crashed on Wednesday close to the Kaduna International Airport.

A statement released by the director, Air Force Public Relations and Information, Air Commodore Yusuf Anas, said the pilot on board the aircraft ejected safely.

A Search and Rescue Team from the Nigerian Air Force 301 Flying Training School, Kaduna, immediately rescued the pilot who is in a stable condition, the statement said.

The statement said the pilot was receiving treatment at the Nigerian Air Force Aero Medical Hospital, Kaduna. It further said that no fatality was reported on the ground.

The Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Mohammed Umar has ordered an investigation to ascertain the cause of the accident.

The statement also announced the death of retired Air Vice Marshal John Yisa-Doko, Chief of Air Staff from 1975-1980.

He died on Tuesday after a brief illness, the statement said, adding that burial arrangements will be announced later.