Hart Keeps Clean Sheet On Burnley Premier League Bow

Former West Ham United’s English goalkeeper Joe Hart gestures during the English FA Cup third round football match between Shrewsbury Town and West Ham United at New Meadow stadium in Shrewsbury, western England, on January 7, 2018.  Paul ELLIS / AFP

 

Former England first-choice goalkeeper Joe Hart kept his second successive clean sheet for Burnley in an entertaining scoreless draw with Southampton in their Premier League clash on Sunday.

Hart, who made his Burnley debut in Thursday’s 0-0 draw against Istanbul Basaksehir in Europa League qualifying, made a couple of outstanding saves while former Clarets favourite Danny Ings made a similarly eye-catching debut for Southampton after his loan move from Liverpool.

“I push myself to the edge in all I do. I’m really pleased to be at this club and to be here permanently,” Hart said. “I’ve walked into a nest of top keepers and I’ll have to be on my toes if I want to keep the shirt.”

Burnley had the best of the first half, firing on sight at Alex McCarthy in the Saints goal with the goalkeeper doing well to prevent the visitors going in ahead.

The pick of his saves was denying former England international Aaron Lennon from point-blank range, before he got down well to save Ireland international Jeff Hendrick’s header at the end of the first half.

McCarthy was beaten once but former Saints midfielder Jack Cork had his goal ruled out for a marginal offside call.

Hart had less to do in the first half but proved equal to Mario Lemina’s header, tipping it over the bar.

Burnley started the second half as they had finished it on the front foot and Icelandic international Johann Berg Gudmundsson and Stephen Ward both went close to breaking the deadlock.

Saints manager Mark Hughes decided he needed to add some zip into his lethargic team and sent on two of his close-season signings, including Ings.

However, it was Burnley defender Ben Mee who threatened Hart’s goal when his miscued headed clearance looped towards the top corner, only for Ashley Westwood to be alert and head it off the line.

Hart then produced a superb save to deny Jack Stephens, who had been picked out by Ings.

Ings — who scored 43 goals for Burnley before earning his move to Liverpool, which floundered due to injury — went close to opening his account with a header from a corner but it cleared the bar.

AFP

Manchester City Goalkeeper Hart Signs For Burnley

 

Former England goalkeeper Joe Hart has signed for Burnley from Manchester City, with City chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak hailing his enormous contribution to the success of the Premier League champions.

The 31-year-old, who failed to make the England squad for the World Cup, has signed a two-year contract with Burnley for an undisclosed fee, the club said on Tuesday.

The arrival of Hart strengthens Burnley’s impressive goalkeeping ranks following a dislocated shoulder sustained by Nick Pope at Aberdeen that will keep him on the sidelines for a time.

Hart will be competing with Tom Heaton and Anders Lindegaard for a starting spot under manager Sean Dyche, with a Europa League qualifier looming against Istanbul Basaksehir on Thursday and a Premier League match with Southampton on Sunday.

Both Pope and Heaton are also England internationals.

Hart was at City for 12 years but Pep Guardiola made clear he would no longer be number one when we took over in 2016.

“Joe Hart’s contribution to Manchester City cannot be overstated,” Al Mubarak said in a statement on Manchester City’s website.

“His 12 years at the club has seen him produce some remarkable performances and heart-stopping saves that will live in the memory for a long time to come.

“His passion for and commitment to this club, evidenced by a remarkable tally of 348 appearances, means he will rightly be regarded as a City legend in perpetuity.”

Hart joined City in 2006 from Shrewsbury for a fee of just £600,000 ($778,000) after catching the eye of then-goalkeeping coach Tim Flowers.

The goalkeeper, who won the first of his 75 England caps in 2008, was a pivotal member of the City sides that won Premier League titles in 2012 and 2014.

AFP

England Goalkeeper, Hart Battles To Retain Number One Position

England’s goalkeeper Joe Hart takes part in a training session at St George’s Park in Burton-on-Trent on March 22, 2018, ahead of their international friendly football matches against The Netherlands and Italy.
Paul ELLIS / AFP

 

England goalkeeper, Joe Hart, insists having to fight to retain his place as Gareth Southgate’s number one for the World Cup is nothing new.

Hart’s chances of maintaining a starting spot in this summer’s showpiece in Russia have been damaged by a lack of playing time on loan at West Ham this season.

The 30-year-old made his first Premier League appearance since November in a 3-0 defeat by Burnley earlier this month in a match overshadowed by crowd trouble as West Ham slipped closer to the relegation zone.

Hart was at fault for Burnley’s third goal but is hoping to keep his place at club level for the rest of the season to boost his chances of making Southgate’s World Cup squad.

“Since Gareth has been in charge he’s always said I’ve performed really well for him,” said Hart.

“He seems like a loyal guy but the shirt is up for grabs. There are three goalkeeper places and there are some people performing well in the Premier League.

“Hopefully I’ve got my place back now and we’ll see where we go with that.”

Southgate has included three other goalkeepers in his squad for World Cup warm-up friendlies against the Netherlands and Italy this week in Jack Butland, Jordan Pickford and Nick Pope.

However, all three lack international experience compared to Hart’s 75 caps, earned over a 10-year international career.

“It is no different to any moment that I’ve been playing football. Even when I was trying to get into my Sunday league team, it was the same script: people want to play football. That’s no different to the one here.

“I am not here to answer critics. I am here to play football, enjoy what I do and try and help my team the best way I can.”

AFP

Guardiola On Joe Hart: I Am Here To Make Decisions

Bayern_GuardiolaOver the alleged exit of Manchester City Goal keeper, Joe Hart, the Clubs Manager, Pep Guardiola says he understands the fans love for the player, but he is in the club to make decisions.

City are close to sealing a £17 million deal for Barcelona keeper Claudio Bravo, casting doubts over Hart’s future at the Etihad as Guardiola preferred second choice goalkeeper, Willy Caballero for the start of the new season.

“Joe is still our player. I know he’s a legend for this club — one of the reasons this club is what it is is because of Joe. He helped to make this team one step above so I’m so happy with the way the people treated him tonight, Pep told ESPN.

“I’m here to take decisions — I made a lot of mistakes in my career as a coach — sometimes good decisions, sometimes bad. I can’t deny what I feel. I was honest with Joe, the club and myself and that’s what I always try to do. I would like if everyone was happy with all the decisions I take but that’s impossible.

“The coach has to take decisions which influences the players’ lives and that’s not easy. We have 28 players, so 17 players are always not playing. Do you think they are happy with the coach? They are not happy about that.

“I can completely understand if the fans are not happy. Joe did a lot with this club in the years, he’s been, more than I have done — I’ve only been here for one month, he’s been here many years.

“I respect all of the guys here but I’m here and I have to take decisions and that’s what I feel.”

Pep Guardiola gave Joe Hart his first start of the season on Wednesday’s 1-0 Champions League win against Steaua Bucharest.

Manchester City Coach Warns Players Ahead Kiev Clash

Manchester CityManchester City manager, Manuel Pellegrini, has tasked his team to put in their best in Tuesday night’s UEFA Champions League match against Dynamo Kiev.

City are in prime position to reach the quarter-finals for the first time after a 3-1 advantage from the first leg.

Pellegrini, however, warned his side not to falter against opponents who have never won a game on English soil.

Manchester City goalkeeper, Joe Hart, has also warned that Kiev would be a different proposition compared to the team they met in Ukraine, who had just returned from a mid-winter break.

He expressed hope that his team can still win this season’s Champions League, despite their failure to live with the pace in the English Premier League.

Midfielder Yaya Toure has been decalred fit to face Dynamo Kiev at the Etihad Stadium after missing Saturday’s Premier League draw with Norwich City.

Liverpool Players Will Help Mignolet Win Golden Gloves – Skrtel

LiverpoolLiverpool defender, Martin Skrtel, says assisting goalkeeper, Simon Mignolet to win the Golden Gloves award will be one of Liverpool’s targets in their final three matches of the 2014-15 season.

The goalkeeper currently leads the standings in the race for the accolade, with his 14 clean sheets putting him ahead of the likes of Fraser Forster, Joe Hart and Thibaut Courtois.

While trying to secure a top-four berth is the most crucial for the Reds, Skrtel insists they’ll also be trying to help Mignolet get his gloves on the custodian prize at the end of the campaign.

He told Liverpoolfc.com: “It’s always nice to get a clean sheet, and Simon is at the top of the list. We will try to help him and we hope and believe he can win it.

“That will be one of the messages for the last three games – but not only for these last three games as we try to keep clean sheets as often as we can. At the moment we’re doing pretty well and we want to carry on in that way.”

Liverpool head into their last trio of matches trailing fourth-place Manchester United by four points in the race for Champions League qualification and Skrtel knows it’ll be difficult to overturn that deficit, but is adamant the Reds won’t be giving up on the hope of doing so until it’s mathematically impossible.

“It’s obviously not over because we still have a chance – and while we have a chance, we will fight for it,” said the 30-year-old.

“We will do all we can do to try and get into the top four and then we’ll see where we finish at the end of the season.

“We have to be honest – we know it is not in our hands, but we have to win our games and wait on United’s results. Then we’ll see. We are ready and we’ll be fighting.”

Meanwhile, Skrtel insists he remains fully committed to Liverpool.

The centre-back has been the subject of media speculation regarding his long-term future, but has confirmed he’s in negotiations regarding a new contract with the Reds.

“There is always talk about my position and my future.

“Almost every single transfer window there is always talk about myself leaving Liverpool and interest from other clubs.

“But as it stands, I still have a contract with Liverpool, I have an offer from Liverpool and we’ll see where we finish [with those talks].

“I am fully committed to Liverpool.”