No fewer than five policemen and two soldiers, including an Army Captain were killed by suspected militants on Sunday morning in Ikorodu area of Lagos State.
A source confirmed to Channels Television that the body of the slain captain who was simply identified as Muhammad, and the other victims had been removed from the scene.
It was gathered that the militants had struck at Woodland Estate, close to the Isawo creeks and engaged security personnel in a gun duel.
It is however, unclear if there are casualties on the part of the militants.
Meanwhile, the new Assistant Inspector-General of Police in Charge of Zone II, which covers Lagos and Ogun states, Adamu Ibrahim, has activated a Response and Intelligence Team to Ikorodu area.
Although the spokesperson for the zone, Dolapo Badmus, did not confirm the number of casualties, she told Channels Television that a team of anti-kidnapping operatives has been deployed to the area to forestall a reoccurrence and arrest the suspects.
The militants, whose stocks in trade are kidnapping and oil theft, were chased out of the area in August 2016 by the Task Force, after several bloody clashes in the community.
Scores of people were allegedly killed during the clashes between militants and residents of Isawo community, before the Joint Military Task Force was deployed to the area.
A soldier attached to the Joint Military Task Force code named Operation Restore Hope was on Monday shot dead and a boat driver sustained gunshot wound after a heavy gunfire with suspected sea pirates along the Ogbia-Brass route of the Nembe waterway of Bayelsa State.
The soldier, according to report, died few hours after the attack at the Medical centre of the Agip Brass terminal in Brass Local Government area of the state.
It was gathered that the soldiers, who were travelling on duty exchange journey to oil facilities in the Nembe axis, ran into a robbery operation by suspected sea pirates on a press enter boat.
Eyewitnesses said that the sea pirates abandoned their victims and opened fire on the commercial boat conveying the soldiers.
The JTF spokesman, Lt.Col. Mustapha Anka, confirmed the heavy exchange of gun fire between JTF troops and suspected sea pirates.
According to Anka Mustapha, “The detachment of JTF personnel troops of the Joint Task Force Operation PULO SHIELD patrolling along Ogbia-Brass route were attacked at Orukiri Fishing Camp in the early hours of the day.
“A soldier was wounded during the incident while the rest returned back to base safely.”
The Joint military Task Force (JTF) in Yobe state said one of its officers lost his life in the clash between security forces and the members of the fundamentalist sect; Boko Haram on Sunday.
The spokesman of the Joint Task force in the state; Lieutenant Eli Lazarus in a statement on Tuesday in Damaturu debunked report that four soldiers were killed in the battle as published by a national daily.
“I can confirm to you that the four soldiers reported killed in Daily Trust Newspapers of today were suspected Boko Haram terrorists dressed in Military uniforms who were casualties of the encounter” the statement read.
According to him, during the gun battle, the terrorists were half dressed in military uniforms explaining that while some wore military shirts, others donned military trousers and some were wearing military caps.
Lieutenant Lazarus stated that security forces could not recover bodies of the militants killed as the survivors who were much in numbers took them away.
The statement further reveals that two other soldiers sustained injuries in the attack and they are currently responding to treatment in an undisclosed hospital.
The JTF also assured that it will not rest on its oars until it brings terrorists activities to an end in the state.
It could be recalled that security forces had last Sunday clashed with suspected members of the Boko Haram in Tumbulgi village, 11 Kilometres to Geidam town of Yobe state.
The Joint Military Task Force ‘cordon and search operation’ in Vandiski area of Potiskum in Yobe state on Saturday has left four suspected terrorists dead while one policeman attached to the Task Force lost his life and a soldier seriously injured during the operation.
The JTF spokesman in the state, Lieutenant Eli Lazarus in a statement he issued to journalists said 4AK 47 rifles, 1 double barrel gun, 16 magazines and 380 rounds of ammunition were recovered from their hideout.
Other items recovered from the suspected terrorists are two gas cylinders and several improvised explosive device making materials.
The statement further disclosed that 59 persons were arrested during the operation for interrogation.
The JTF spokesman however urged all law abiding citizens of the state to go about their lawful activities and support the Task Force through the provision of relevant and timely information that will assist in ridding the state of terrorist activities.
The military Joint Task Force (JTF) in Yobe State has uncovered a bomb making factory in Damaturu the state capital. The JTF spokesman in the state, Eli Lazarus who revealed this to Channels Television in Damaturu said the factory was discovered through a cordon and search operation at the Buhari Housing Estate along Gashua- Maiduguri ring road of Damaturu metropolis.
Items recovered according to him include several bomb making Items, ammunitions, Magazines as well as Military, Police and immigration Uniforms. Others include; medical supplies, tear gas canisters as well as two rifles.
Mr Lazarus also said in the process of the search JTF discovered a decomposed death body buried within the premises saying it might be a suspected Boko Haram member who could not make it in the process of the previous gun battles with the security forces.
He appeals to residents to be extra vigilant on activities going on within their vicinities and to report suspected persons to security agents for appropriate action.
This is happening barely one week after JTF recovered 5, 270 rounds of ammunitions and some arms in the Kandahar area also of Damaturu metropolis.
Chairman of the Northern States Governors Forum (NSGF) and the Governor of Niger State, Doctor Muazu Aliyu has reacted to the quit notice issued to Fulani residents of Mahanga,Kakuruk,Maseh and Shong 2 in Barkin Ladi and Riyom local Governments of Plateau State, urging the Special Military Task Force (STF) to exercise caution.
The Special Military Task Force had on Saturday asked inhabitants of the affected areas to vacate their domain immediately with their property, citing military action in the troubled villages.
Governor Aliyu warned that the 48 hour ultimatum issued by the STF could lead to breakdown of law and order not only in Plateau State but in other parts of the country.
A statement by Governor Aliyu’s spokesman, Danladi Ndayebo said the forum is worried by complaints from a section of the region to the effect that the vacation order represents a declaration of war by the military against a segment of the nation’s citizens.
The statement added that although the forum is not opposed to any action that will put a stop to the senseless killing of innocent people in the Plateau, it warned that the region cannot afford the likely negative consequences of the order that the Fulani herdsmen should vacate the said villages without providing alternatives.
The forum further advised the STF to work more closely with Governor Jonah Jang of Plateau State instead of issuing unilateral orders that could further worsen the already bad security situation in the state.
It said the current security challenge in Plateau State has provided the opportunity for all stakeholders to sit down and solve the Indigene-settler problem once and for all.
Multiple bomb explosions were recorded today in Okene local government area of Kogi state.
A bomb planted around the entrance of the Lord’s Chosen Church in Obehira area of Okene in Kogi state exploded killing no one while another vehicle conveying explosives exploded while heading towards the town along Lagos road.
The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) confirmed the explosion today in Okene, Kogi State, stating that no life was lost.
Security personnel nabbed two people suspected to be behind the church explosion before they could escape.
According to the Commanding Officer of the Joint Military Task Force (JTF) in Kogi state, Lieutenant-Colonel Gabriel Olorunyomi, the bomb was planted at the front of the Lord’s Chosen Church in Obehira area of Okene in anticipation which was to come off when the church services ends.
He however explained that the explosion took place few minutes before the end of the church service which fortunately made it impossible for the terrorist to achieve their evil aim.
The commander further disclosed that another vehicle conveying explosives also exploded as they were heading towards the town along Lagos road.
He claimed the vehicle was planned to hit another worship centre and the driver of the vehicle has also been arrested.
Two suspected members of a fundamentalist sect, Boko Haram were allegedly killed when a car bomb exploded during a military raid on a suspected hideout for the group on Saturday in Kano state.
The explosion also left two soldiers wounded.
Confirming the incident, an officer of the Joint Military Task Force serving in the state, Brigadier general Iliyasu Abbato, informed journalists that the attack happened around 1 a.m. He stated that suspected members of Boko Haram detonated the explosive during the raid in Sabuwar Gandu neighborhood of the commercial city.
Abba added that four wives and eight children were arrested at the compound after the blast, which left shattered glass and blood on the floor as part of the home destroyed.
Boko Haram has been waging an increasingly insurgency across the states in northern Nigeria, killing hundreds of people in its jail breaks, school arson and attacks on police station. The group’s attack in Kano, earlier in the year claimed almost 200 lives.