Suspected Bomb Maker Arrested In Jigawa

A suspected bomb manufacturer has been apprehended by the Joint Task Force in Kazaure Local Government in Jigawa State after a gun battle at his residence.

A statement issued on Sunday in Kano by the spokesman of the JTF, Captain Ikedichi Iweha, said one terrorist was apprehended after a gun battle, while three women and three toddlers were rescued unhurt from the incident.

“At the end of operations, five AK 47 rifles, five magazines, and 333 rounds of 7.62mm special ammunition and various improvised explosive devices (IEDs) were recovered from the residence after an intensive search,” he said.

Iweha also said that preliminary investigations revealed that the suspect is an IED manufacturer and his residence had been used as a staging ground for terrorist activities in Kano.

“You may recollect that the JTF had earlier alerted members of the general public of fleeing terrorists from major theatres of operations in the North-east axis of the country to ‘cooler’ areas due to pressure being mounted on them by the on-going military operations in the north-east.

“Members of the general public are once again enjoined to continue complementing the efforts of the JTF by carrying out thorough checks on the background of persons who wish to rent properties, especially in quiet zones or on the outskirts of major towns,” he said.

He promised that the 3 Brigade of the Nigerian Army in Kano would not allow its area of operational responsibility to be used as haven for terrorists.

“The appeals of the JTF will continue to be complemented with the destruction of properties where terrorists reside and the arrest of their owners,” he said, stressing that the efforts of the JTF would not be successful without the cooperation of the residents.

He urged all residents not to relent in the fight against terrorism by reporting any suspicious persons, regardless of gender for immediate action to prevent the loss of lives and properties.

Iweha also called on members of the public to go about their lawful businesses without any fear and to contact the JTF through its telephone numbers in the event of any distress for rapid response.

JTF Relaxes Curfew In Yobe

 The Military Joint Task Force (JTF) in Yobe state has relaxed the 24-hour curfew earlier imposed on Potiskum town.

A statement issued by the Spokesman of the Task Force in the state, Captain Eli Lazarus said the relaxation of the curfew is sequel to the completion of the operation carried out within Potiskum metropolis.

It however says the 10:00PM – 6:00AM curfew across the state is still in force and appreciates the patience and cooperation of residents throughout the period of the 24 hour curfew imposed on the town.

“Upon the completion of special operations in Potiskum town, the Joint Task Force (JTF) relaxes the twenty four hour curfew imposed on the town recently with effect from today Wednesday 7 August 2013.

“However, the earlier curfew imposed on the state which commences from 10 O’clock in the evening to 6 O’clock in the morning is still in force”

The statement also wishes the Muslim community a happy Eid-El-Fitr celebration.

The Joint Task Force could not disclose whether arrest or recoveries of arms were made during the 24 hour curfew.

A JTF source who pleaded anonymity however told Channels Television that some arms and arrests were made during the search operation carried out on the town.

 

Defence HQ Sends Fact-Finding Team To Yobe

A fact finding team of senior officers from the Defence Headquarters are in Yobe State for an on-the-spots assessment of the deployment of troops of the Joint Task Force in the State. 

The team is to pay particular attention to the security circumstances around the incidence of the attack on the Government Secondary School, Mamudo near Potiskum during the weekend, a statement by the Director for Defence Information, Brigadier General Chris Kolade said.

Led by the Chief of Research and Development in the Defence Headquarters, the team is visiting troops deployed in remote locations in Yobe State to verify the effectiveness of patrols and cordon and search operations directed at forestalling any further breach of security and tracking down perpetrators of the weekend attack.

The team is expected to brief the CDS in respect of any requirement for additional troops and logistics for the operation in Yobe State.

The military Joint Task Force (JTF) had confirmed the death of 42 students learning at the Government Secondary School, Mamudo. They were killed on Saturday by suspected members of the Boko Haram sect.

JTF Discovers More Weapons In Hezbollah Suspect’s Residence In Kano

Joint security forces in Kano state, north-west Nigeria says it has discovered another cooler buried under a wardrobe at the same Lebanese house at No. 3 Gaya Road, where a large quantity of arms and ammunition were recovered last week suspected to be that of Hezbollah Terrorists organization.

A press statement by the JTF spokesperson, Captain Ikedichi Iweha, said the cooler contained 80 indicators, 5 PPK pistols, 334 rounds of 7.62mm special, 9 magazines, 4 pistol silencers, hand grenades caps, 4 explosive fuses and 2 explosive device.

Iweha stressed that while the house was under 24 hour JTF surveillance, the military will continue to count on the support and cooperation of the good people of Kano state.

“In the effective discharge of our duty, we want to assure you of our utmost commitment in ensuring that peace and atmosphere suitable for business continue to prevail.”

Meanwhile, all effort to speak with Mr. Taher, the owner of the house and owner of the Taher Guest Palace in Kano was not successful as he told Channels Television that he has been advised on not talk to the press.

For now, Mr. Taher appeared free but probably under surveillance by security operatives.

JTF Kill Top Boko Haram Commander In Maiduguri

The military Joint Task Force (JTF) in Borno State has killed a top commander of Boko Haram terrorists’ sect, Mohammed Chad, in a joint special operation with the Department of State Security Services (DSSS) in the Ruwan Zafi Ward of Maiduguri metropolis at 3am on Friday.

This was contained in a statement by JTF spokesman, Lt. Col Sagir Musa on Saturday.

Chad, according to the statement “had been on the wanted list of the security task force since last year; and allegedly masterminded the multiple attacks and killings on Sanda Kyarimi Secondary School, where a teacher on March 18 was shot dead and three female students injured”.

The statement also said: “This special operation led to the death of a notorious Boko Haram terrorist, aka Mohammed Chad, an indigene of Marte in Borno State that  has been on the  wanted list of JTf. Intelligence report revealed that he was involved in the planning and execution of many terror attacks in and outside Borno State.

“Chad was also suspected have succeed Ba,ana Assalafi, a key BH Commander that lost his life during a shootout with security agencies in Sokoto.”

Yobe: 5 killed In JTF, Boko Haram Gun Fight

Two police officers and five suspected Boko Haram members were killed in a midnight raid on a police station by suspected member of the Boko Haram sect in Yobe state, the military said on Thursday.

“At about midnight Wednesday, gunmen suspected to be Boko Haram terrorists attacked Joint Task Force (JTF) location in Gashua town,” spokesperson for the Yobe military force, Eli Lazarus said.

“Two police officers were killed in the attack while five of the suspected terrorists lost their lives during the encounter.”

Lazarus said a rocket-propelled grenade, several vehicles, guns and ammunition had been recovered from the insurgents.

JTF Arrests Four, Recover Items In Fresh Yobe Raid

The Military Joint Task Force (JTF) in Yobe state on Thursday raided a suspected Boko Haram terrorist hideout in Majari village of Gujba Local Government Area arresting four suspected terrorists in the process.

The spokesman of the Task force, Eli Lazarus, in a statement released in Damaturu revealed that “at about 23 hours on Wednesday, the men of the JTF raided the suspected terrorists camp in Majari Village close to Buni-Yadi the headquarters of Gujba Local government area”

The statement said that four suspects were arrested in the camp while one Isuzu pick-up Van, 10 motorcycles, bomb making materials as well as 200 rounds of ammunition were also recovered from the hideout.

A police anti-riot Gun, one pistol, one Dane gun, 43 tear gas canisters, two Police uniforms, one laptop and desk top computers were also recovered from the suspects.

The JTF spokesman also said 13 military kit pads, four police barrettes, helmets and boots as well as medical box with assorted clothing, cooking pots and food items were also found at the camp.

He explained that the pick-up Van was specially covered with mud to avoid spotting it from a far while the exhaust was specially compressed to avoid much noise.

While appealing for cooperation, the spokesman assured that the JTF is working hard to overcome the activities of the terrorists in the state and the country at large.

The Yobe state Governor, Ibrahim Gaidam,  recently imposed a dusk till dawn curfew in the state sequel to the wave of attacks being launched on security forces and innocent citizens by the dreaded Islamist sect Boko Haram.

9 Killed As Suspected Islamists Strike In Yobe

Nine persons have been confirmed dead in a renewed clash between security forces and suspected extremist group, Boko Haram in Babbangida town of Yobe state.

Babbangida is the capital of Tarmuwa Local Government Area and is 50 kilometres north of Damaturu the state capital.

Witnesses said the gunmen stormed the Divisional Police Station of the area at the early hours of Thursday and opened fire at the policemen on duty in an encounter that lasted for almost an hour.

The State Commissioner of Police, Sanusi Rufai, who confirmed the incident to Channels Television in Damaturu, said the suspected Islamic terrorists attacked the Divisional Police Station around 1:00am in a shoot out that lasted for an hour.

Though the police repelled the attack, Mr Rufai confirmed that the commands lost four of its personnel in the encounter while two sustained injuries and are receiving treatment in an undisclosed hospital.

He said the police however killed five of the insurgents and injured many but the hoodlums who were in high number went away with their casualties as the authentic number could not be ascertained.

He recalled that this week has being a challenging one for security men in the state; they will not rest on their oars in the search for a sustained peace in the state.

“We will continue to discharge our responsibility as security men by ensuring that law abiding citizen have a condusive atmosphere to go on with their legitimate business.”

The commissioner called for support from the public towards lasting peace in the state.

The attack is coming four days after the insurgents had attacked men of the military Joint Task Force (JTF) in Tumbulgi Village of Geidam local Government Area of the state.

It would also be recalled that the insurgents had in December 2001 attacked Babbangida town setting the local Government Secretariat and the Divisional Police Station ablaze.

We Killed 13 Policemen In Bayelsa – MEND

The Movement for Emancipation of Niger Delta (MEND), has claimed responsibility for the weekend attack on a group of policemen at Azuzama, southern Ijaw, in the creek of Bayelsa state during which some policemen were killed.

On Sunday, 13 policemen were killed after suspected militants ambushed their boat in a creek.

Three others including a police sergeant escaped death by swimming away to safety.

In a statement issued by its purported spokesman, Gbomo Jomo, MEND described the attack as a warning to the Joint Task Force (JTF), code named Operation Pulo Shield, which had earlier dismissed its threat of launching a fight it code named, Hurricane Exodus.

Part of the statement reads “for dismissing hurricane exodus as an “empty threat” by the Nigerian security forces, heavily armed fighters from the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (M.E.N.D), at about 5pm, Saturday 06, April 2013, intercepted and engaged government security forces in a fierce gunfight lasting over forty minutes at Azuzama, southern Ijaw, Bayelsa state, Nigeria.”

The confirmation by MEND comes as the JTF says it has placed all its personnel in the Niger Delta on red alert, warning that it wouldn’t tolerate any form of lawlessness from anybody.

 

 

JTF Kills 4 Suspected Boko Haram Members In Yobe

Four suspected members of the dreaded Boko Haram Insurgents have been killed in a renewed clashed with the Joint Task Force (JTF) in Geidam Local Government Area of Yobe state North-east Nigeria.

Geidam is 180 kilometres north of Damaturu the state capital and is sharing a border with Meine-Soroa town of Niger Republic.

A statement made available to newsmen by the spokesman of the JTF in Yobe state, Lieutenant Eli Lazarus said the incident occurred around 5pm on Tuesday when the gunmen attacked a JTF location in Geidam town.

Though the attack was repelled by the JTF, the statement said four of the gunmen lost their lives in the gun duel.

The statement also revealed that three AK47 rifles, five rifle magazines and 72 rounds of 7.62 mm ammunitions were recovered from the insurgents.

JTF in the statement assured all law abiding and peace loving people of the state of its unflinching commitment to the full restoration of peace and security and the maintenance of law and order in the state.

The latest attack is coming two days after hoodlums attacked the Bara Divisional police station in Gulani local government area killing one police corporal and destroying two telecom masts in the area.

The attack has paralysed communication within Gulani and part of Gombe state who hitherto rely on the Bara telecom masts.

Joint Task Force Embarks On Peace Tour Of Plateau

The Joint Task Force (JTF) led by the Commander of Special Task Force, Operation Safe Haven, Major General Henry Ayoola has embarked on a sensitisation tour in the Plateau in a bid to promote peace among warring factions and to proffer long lasting solution to the security challenge in the area.

While addressing community leaders, Major General Ayoola pointed out that the time has come to find lasting solution to the security challenge in the state and stated that  everybody should be involved in the peace building process.

He called on all warring factions in the Plateau crises to put behind them all forms of acrimony and bitterness by forgiving one another and embrace peace, tolerance and peaceful coexistence as well as have mutual respect for one another.

During the sensitisation tour of affected Local Government Areas, Riyom, Barkin Ladi, Jos South and Jos North, Major General Ayoola urged everyone to  make a decision of embracing peace by forgetting the past and look ahead to a brighter and peaceful future in order to restore plateau state back to its former glory.

The Gbong Gwom Jos, Jacob Gyang Buba in turn cautioned members of the task force to engage the rule of engagement by exhibiting professionalism in their conduct and remain neutral in the cause of maintaining law and order.

Plateau State Government also stated its commitment to collaborate with the task force and any other agencies in finding lasting solution to the incessant attacks in some communities across the state with assurance that peaceful coexistence in the state is not negotiable.

The special task force is also offering free medical services, provision of portable water by sinking boreholes in the affected areas as well as providing order social amenities in order to promote peace in the state.

 

 

Seven Killed In Boko Haram Gun Duel With JTF

Seven people have been confirmed dead in a gun battle between the Joint Task Force and members of the radical Islamic sect, Boko Haram in  Marte, Marte Local Government area of the state.

A statement signed by the JTF spokesman in Borno state, Lieutenant Colonel Sagir Musa revealed that the unknown gun men yesterday attacked the 21 Brigade troops located in Marte North of Maiduguri the Borno state capital.

The statement said the encounter led to the death of one soldier and a police personnel.

According to the statement, no civilian casualty was recorded during the gun battle which started around 2:00 PM.

Items recovered include; 2 AK 47, one locally made double barrel gun and four machetes.