State Of Emergency Has Yielded ‘Very Satisfactory’ Results– Expert

Mike Ejiofor, a former director of the State Security Service and Lawyer has described the result from the   state of emergency declared by President Goodluck Jonathan in some northern states as ‘very satisfactory’.

The former SSS Director who was on Sunrise Daily went further to highlight the positive impact that the declaration of the state of emergency has had on the state and its citizens as they have formed an alliance with the special forces deployed to those states tracking and handing over suspected sect members to the troops.

He commended Nigerians for their patience and understanding even though some notable Nigerians felt that the state of emergency would not achieve the much desired result and the security forces deployed for observing the rules of engagement knowing that the international community is watching and so far no issue has been raised and the troops.

He also asked that the Federal Government be given a pat on the back as it is a government that has witnessed the greatest security challenge since the end of the civil war and despite that the nation is still witnessing development and transformation.

Gunmen Storm Church During Service in Maiduguri

Gunmen suspected to be the radical Islamic sect; Boko Haram today launched an attack on a local Church of the Brethren- Ekilisiyar Yan’uwa a Nigeria (EYN) in Maiduguri the Borno State capital while the Sunday service was in progress.

Today’s incident marks the first time that an attack will be launched on a church in the Maiduguri metropolis in broad daylight during Sunday service since the Boko Haram insurgence heightened in the area.

Worshippers said the gunmen numbering about five came to the church area located at Bulunkutu ward in the metropolis in a tricycle at about 11a.m and opened fire directly into the church targeting the worshippers when the sermon was being delivered.

They wondered how the gunmen could dare the soldiers in front of the church to launch such attack.

Spokesman of the Joint Task Force (JTF), Lt Col Sagir Musa who confirmed the incident said the troops at the church post immediately repelled the attack.

“They came firing into the church area but our men at the post rose to the occasion and fired back at them. We successfully repelled the attack and the gunmen fled immediately”

He revealed that a police attached to the JTF was hit by bullet but has been treated and discharged from the hospital.

Gunmen Kill Three Korean Doctors In Yobe

Unknown gunmen suspected to be members of dreaded Boko Haram sect today killed three North Korean Doctors attached to the Potiskum general hospital in Yobe State, north east Nigeria.

The Commissioner of Police Yobe Command Alhaji Sanusi Rufai who confirmed the incident to Channels Television in Damaturu said the North Korean doctors attached to the Potiskum General Hospital were killed in their rented quarters in Potiskum.

The Police boss said though no arrest has so far been made but investigation has commenced to fish out the perpetrators.

An official who does not want to be named told the Associated Press that by the time soldiers arrived at the house, they found the doctors’ wives cowering in a flower bed outside their home and that at the property, they found the corpses of the men, all bearing what appeared to be machete wounds.

The official adds that the North Korean doctors had no security guards at their residence and typically travelled around the city via three-wheel taxis without a police escort.

An official with North Korea’s foreign ministry in Seoul declined to immediately comment when asked about the attack.

Several Korean experts are currently offering technical expertise in various fields in Yobe state sequel to signing of MoU between Yobe state and the Korean government.

The killing of the doctors come after the Friday attack on polio vaccination officials in Kano state which left nine health workers dead.

Meanwhile the NMA Yobe state chapter has condemned in clear terms the killings of the Korean Doctors describing it as gruesome.

A statement by its chairman Dr Adamu Alhassan Umar expressed sadness with the killings of the health workers as well as a similar case recently in Kano state.

“NMA Yobe is saddened by the news if the gruesome murder of three Korean health workers in Potiskum last night” Umar said.

Several Korean experts are currently offering technical expertise in various fields in Yobe state sequel to Signing of MoU between Yobe state and the Korean government.

Incessant killings since the commencement of the Boko Haram insurgency has affected most of the on-going projects either awarded by the State or the Federal Government in the state as contractors have relocated for fear of attack.

 

Militant Group Surrenders Arms To JTF In Yenogoa

A militant group in Bayelsa State whose sole aim of handing over weapons ranging from ranging from guns, ammunitions, live tortoise and other fetish materials is to stop the violence being inflicting on the Niger Delta region and also partake in the 3rd phase of the amnesty program has done exactly that as they handed over their weapons to the Joint Taskforce (Operation Pulo) shield in Yenagoa on Friday, as they gave up the struggle.

The group, led by Inaemi David, 31, who is the head and commander of the group confessed to carrying out numerous attacks on oil pipelines in the Brass Local Government Area of Bayelsa.

David, who led members of his group to the JTF Headquarters in Yenagoa on Friday including a female member who was put in charge of the handover process, said they decided to surrender their weapons because of their resolve to embrace peace and live normal lives.

“We realised there is no peace in our lives; we felt tired of living a life of militancy, so we approached the JTF and informed them of our resolve to surrender our arms and munitions. After due consultations, we were convinced that if we take this positive step to surrender our weapons, it will bring the dawn of a new life for us,” David said.

David now repentant claimed that he leads an army of over 50 foot soldiers in the Niger Delta struggle and it was frustration and deprivation in the region that a lot of the youth into the militancy thing.

“We went into militancy not to kill but to show our frustration to the government. We want the government to know that the Niger Delta people have a right to the possession of our resources,” he said.

David bore it all on arrival to the base of the Joint task force (Operation Puloshield) in Yenagoa, as he disclosed the location of the militant group which he claimed is at the creeks of Odioma Community of Brass Local Government Area of the state as he advised the FG to create employment for the Niger Delta youth as this is a lasting solution to the problem of militancy in the Niger Delta as there are still other splinter groups of militants in the creeks who are not ready to relinquish their weapons.

After the handover of the weapons by the Ianemi David-led militant group, the Public Relations Officer of the JTF, Lieutenant Colonel Onyeama swung into action by inspecting the items and after the inspection he listed them as the head commandant of the JTF Major General Batta Debiro applauded the decision of the militants to voluntarily surrender their arms.

The JTF are optimistic that this willing surrender by the militant group will mark the beginning of many more to come.

 

Bomb blast injures two soldiers in Maiduguri

The military Joint Task Force (JTF) in Maiduguri on Monday confirmed that two of its soldiers have sustained injuries after they were attacked along Lagos Street in Borno State.

The spokesperson of the JTF in Maiduguri, Sagir Musa, said a JTF patrol van was attacked with Improvised Explosive Device.

“There was a bomb blast involving a JTF Hilux vehicle at about 7:15 am today along Lagos Street in Maiduguri metropolis. It is feared that two soldiers sustained injury. Details on the incident if any will be communicated,” he said.

The bomb according to Col Musa was buried along the highway of the popular Lagos Street of Maiduguri by the hoodlums who were targeting the JTF on routine patrol of the town.

Shortly after the blast the Popular Lagos Street was condoned off while continuous shootings were heard across the Gwange area a stronghold of the insurgents.

The early morning incident paralyses activities in Maiduguri metropolis as gun shots continued throughout the better part of Monday.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attack though it is believed to have been carried out by the insurgent group, Boko Haram.

JTF kills 2 Boko Haram commanders

The military Joint Task Force (JTF) on Friday said that it has killed two commanders of the dreaded Islamic sect, Boko Haram in Maiduguri, the Borno state capital.

In a press statement issued by the JTF Spokesman, Lt. Col. Sagir Musa and made available to newsmen in Maiduguri said “at about 2:20pm on Wednesday, a combine team of the JTF acted on intelligence had killed two members of the radical Islamic sect Boko Haram top terrorists commander along Maiduguri- Kano road as they were escaping arrest from security forces.”

Col Sagir said that the killed Boko Haram commanders were believed to be coordinating the activities of the sect in Mubi and Yola of Adamawa and Yobe states adding that the two sect members were traveling in a Honda accord 2000 model with registration number BAM 214 AA.

The JTF Spokesman also said that the terrorists were on their way to Damaturu for a planned special operation to attack civilians and military locations on Thursday 20 September, 2012 pointing out that intelligence equally revealed that they were planning to launch attack in Maiduguri soon.

Items recovered from the terrorists according to Col Sagir include a Honda Car and 5 GSM handsets and weapons.

The statement also stated that a total of eight terrorists were equally arrested in Nganaram, GRA and Lawanti areas of Maiduguri metropolis in earlier operations within the troubled city.

Those arrested according to Col Sagir were confirmed to have travelled into Maiduguri from neighbouring states, pointing out that items recovered during the arrests include a Silver coloured Camry car of 1988 model with Yobe Registration number AE 74 DTR suspected to have been stolen for possible suicide mission and weapons for the dastard act.

Boko Haram has managed large-scale, damaging assaults, including one in January where at least 186 people died in coordinated attacks in Kano, the biggest city in Northern Nigeria.

This week, authorities said they had killed the sect’s spokesman Abu Qaqa and another senior commander while members of Boko Haram were suspected of killing a former Comptroller of prison and the Commission for Justice in Borno state, of which Maiduguri is the capital.

 

JTF kills seven, arrest 13 suspected members of Boko Haram

The Joint Task Force (JTF) in Maiduguri, the Borno state capital has killed seven and arrested 13 persons suspected to be members of the dreaded Boko Haram sect.

The spokesman of the JTF in Borno state, Lieutenant Colonel Sagir Musa in a statement made available to Channels Television in Maiduguri said the security officials were conducting a cordon and search operation at Gwange junction of the metropolis when the hoodlums started shooting at them sporadically in reaction to the operation.

The statement said in response to the attack, seven of the insurgents were killed while thirteen were arrested.

Col Sagir however said no casualty was recorded on the side of the security forces.

Suspected sect member had on Wednesday launched an attack on telecommunication installations destroying several masts and killing over 20 persons in Yobe, Borno and Kano states.

The spokesman of the sect, Abul Qaqai in an emailed statement said “the attacks on these communication facilities will continue unabated, because the GSM firms are assisting the Federal Government and its security agencies in tracking and eventual arrests of our members in many parts of the country.”

The Boko Haram in the statement also threatened attacks on the facilities of the Voice of America (VOA), including its personnel and correspondents.

The statement reads “Our ultimate goal is the establishment of an Islamic State in Nigeria and we would not hesitate in taking punitive measures against anybody who sabotage or assist others that are sabotaging our efforts.

“This is why we are fighting the Nigerian government and its collaborators, including telecommunication companies. We would continue attacking them (telecoms) until the time they stopped releasing information about our activities.

Telecommunication facilities were vandalised across the northern part of the country rendering communication within the region erratic.

Damaturu remains calm after morning explosion

Normalcy have been restored in Damaturu, the Yobe State capital after an early morning bomb attacks targeting police officers who were on their way to the command headquarters for the day’s routine work.

As at the time of filing in this report, Damaturu is calm but most residents are in their respective houses for fear of being involved in the sporadic gun shots going on around town.

The State commissioner of Police, Patrick Egbuniwe told Channels Television’s correspondent, Jonathan Gopep in Damaturu that a time bomb was planted on the road leading to the command headquarters but the driver conveying the officers and men was able to dictate and avoid the bomb which exploded shortly.

He said normalcy has been restored as the road is currently being used by people travelling to the northern part of the state.

The current attack is coming just four days after the state governor,Ibrahim Gaidam in a special broadcast appealed to residents to embrace peace and to accord the security agents the desired support in quest for peace.

The latest attack will also slow resumption of commercial activities in Damaturu after the secretary to the state government, Babagoni, Machina had a close door session with Bank operators, security agents among other stakeholders to commence full operation as adequate security is being provided across the state.

Channels Television reported that the latest attack will also undermine the call on civil servants to shun any security threats to resume work which has been paralysed for couple of months since the insurgents began in the state.

Residents of Damaturu had flee the town days to the Salah celebration in fear of attack by the insurgents who were rumoured to be nursing more attacks during the celebration.

Gunmen attack police vehicle in Yobe

Suspected members of the dreaded Islamic sect, Boko Haram on Tuesday in Damaturu, the Yobe State capital, launched an attack on a police vehicle heading to the command headquarters.

Residents said they started hearing sounds of bombs and shootings around the Ajari ward of Damaturu early Tuesday morning.

An official of Joint Taskforce (JTF) in Yobe State, who confirmed the attack, said there was no casualty as the major road leading to the command headquarters has been condone off for fear of further attacks.

The official said the hoodlums lunched two unsuccessful bomb attacks before sporadic gun shots at the police vehicle.

He could not provide further details on the attack but said security operatives were making efforts to restore normalcy around the area.

Attacks on security vehicles in Damaturu, particularly around the Ajari ward – being a strong hold of the insurgents – has become a routine affair as the police must past through the area to reach the command headquarters.

JTF intercept bomb-laden car in Maiduguri

The Joint Task Force (JTF) on Monday intercepted a suicide bomb-laden car heading for suicide missions in Borno and Yobe states.
The driver of the ill-fated car is currently undergoing interrogation.

Confirming the arrests in a JTF signed press statement, its spokesman, Lt. Col Sagir Musa said the explosives were meant for suicide bombings in some strategic parts of Borno and Yobe states.

“There was an interception of a Camry car with registration no. Borno AA 867 MAF at Tudun Quarters at Mudugumeri Area of Maiduguri at about 6p.m.

“The car was loaded with four cylinders; four DAF gas oil cylinders; three constructed Improvised Explosive Devices; 18 by 9 volts battery with two switches and 4 by 25 litres jerricans of incendiary materials earmarked for suicide bombings.

“The car was intercepted by a vigilant patrol team which was undergoing routine surveillance following security reports on likely simultaneous suicide bombings in Yobe and Borno states.

“All the items recovered are in the custody of the JTF for analysis and further investigation. The driver of the car has been undergoing interrogation in JTF custody.”

“Security has been reinforced in the two affected states with more teams on patrol and strategic checkpoints put on red alert.”

He said the sponsors of the suicide bomber led by a high profile terrorist commander are under surveillance and would soon be arrested by the JTF.