Wike Satisfied With Progress Of Port Harcourt Pleasure Park

Wike Satisfied with Progress Of Port Harcourt Pleasure ParkRivers State Governor, Nyesom Ezenwo Wike, has expressed satisfaction with the quality of work at the Pleasure Park in Port Harcourt, the Rivers state capital.

Speaking when he inspected ongoing work at the Port Harcourt Pleasure Park, Governor Wike noted that the project when completed would be the first of its kind in the country.

He said that the contractor, Julius Berger Plc, has been directed to ensure that they deliver a world class park to be commissioned during the 50th anniversary of the state.

“The pace of the development of Pleasure Park is amazing. I am happy with the quality of work so far done.

park1

“This facility will attract people from across the country and beyond. This facility will create jobs and positively impact the economy of the state,” Wike said.

Climbing tower at the Port Harcourt Pleasure Park Furthermore, he expressed satisfaction over the climbing tower already erected,
the recreation of the lake, the construction of the golf course and the special restaurants being developed.

He assured the state that his administration would continue to transform Port Harcourt and make it a national centre for tourism .

The governor was accompanied on the project inspection by the Former Acting National Chairman of PDP, Prince Uche Secondus and the Edo State PDP Chairman, Chief Dan Orbih.

Ogun Govt. Asks Julius Berger To Suspend Work During Traffic Hours

Ogun State, Road Construction, Julius Berger, Lagos-Ibadan expresswayThe Ogun State government has directed Julius Berger Plc to suspend the ongoing reconstruction work on the busy Lagos-Ibadan expressway during the peak traffic hours.

The government stated that with effect from Monday, August 8, the construction company should not work on the highway from 6:00am to 10:00am and between 4:00pm and 10:00pm.

The government encouraged the contractor to work full blast between 10:00am and 4:00pm and also during the night after 10pm.

The State government also expressed deep concern about the hardship being faced by Nigerians who ply the busy expressway on account of the ongoing reconstruction.

A statement signed by the Secretary to the State Government, Mr Taiwo Adeoluwa, stated that the measure had become necessary, as they observed that the already bad traffic situation on the expressway had been further compounded by the increasing spate of armed robberies reported along the road.

Ameliorate Disruption To Lives

The statement read: “The Ogun State government welcomes the ongoing reconstruction works in the full realisation of the fact that this will ultimately bring greater relief to our people.

“We however, note that the effort has come with temporary pain, in the nature of perennial traffic congestion and security challenges”.

“In the past few weeks, we took two steps. We increased Police and security patrols on that axis and opened up discussions with the Federal Controller of Works, Ogun State and the contractor.

“We suggested that they should consider working late evenings and overnight in order to ameliorate the disruption to the lives of commuters on the ever-busy expressway and Ogun residents. It is a thing of regret that our suggestion was spurned,” the statement added.

Redesigning Security Architecture

The government said it made the request based on experience and recalled that before the advent of the Governor Ibikunle Amosun’s administration, armed robberies occasioned by bad portions of the road; traffic congestion caused by unruly drivers driving against the flow of traffic and tanker drivers parking indiscriminately on the median were the order of the day.

“The public will recall that we confronted these challenges headlong. We set up a task force to checkmate the excesses of the trailer drivers so much that the Governor personally led regular enforcement teams on the expressway.

“We also invested heavily on redesigning the security architecture of the state by deploying Armoured Personnel Carriers, elite Quick Response Squad (QRS), Operation MESA and the state Traffic Enforcement and Compliance Agency (TRACE).

“We have also repeatedly intervened by undertaking major repair works on bad stretches of the road, not minding the fact that it is a Federal Government highway.

“Additionally, we took responsibility for clearing traffic, maintaining security and cleaning after the departure of our monthly religious visitors,” it stated.

The government expressed delight that its efforts ultimately restored relative sanity on the road and greatly reduced robbery incidents, but noted that that was until the recent intervention by Julius Berger.

It further explained that the objective of the directive was to mitigate the man-hour losses and socio-economic disruptions occasioned by the ongoing reconstruction work.

The Ogun State government assured the road users that it would continue to monitor the situation and proactively engage the Federal Ministry of Works, Power and Housing and the contractors, with a view to fashioning a robust intervention that would address both the security and traffic situation on the road.

They also implored the people of the state to remain calm as they work round the clock to redress the inconveniences.

Patronize More Indigenous Contractors, Ogun Assembly Tells FG, States

The Ogun State House of Assembly Committee on Works and Infrastructure has enjoined both the Federal and State Governments in the country to increase patronage of indigenous contractors in the execution of their projects.

According to members of the Committee, doing this would go a long way in creating more employment opportunities and improve the socio-economic status of Nigerians.

The Committee members led by their Chairman, Hon. Joseph Adegbesan bore their minds while inspecting various road projects embarked upon by the State government in different parts of the State in continuation of their appraisal of 2013 budget implementation.

Hon. Adegbesan noted that the projects being handled by foreign contractors are well implemented, but stated that if given similar opportunity; local contractors could perform excellently like their foreign counterparts.

He commended the Senator Amosun-led administration for its vision and the quality of job done on the on-going road projects across the three senatorial districts of the State, adding that they would indeed create better living conditions for residents.

Projects inspected include phases one and two of Ilo-Awela and Ota Township, Ilara-Egua-Ijoun–Oja Odan, Mowe–Ofada–Ibafo, Ayetoro-Olodo and Lafenwa–Ayetoro roads.

Others are Mobalufon junction and overhead bridge, Lagos garage and bridge in Ijebu-Ode, Ago-Iwoye–Ilisan road, Sagamu and all the on-going road projects within the Abeokuta metropolis.

Senate Charges Works Ministry To Commence Work On Niger Bridge

 The Senate has urged the Federal Ministry of Works to commence immediate repairs of the Niger Bridge and take urgent action to commence work on the second bridge across the river.

The upper chamber also directed its Committee on Works to carry out investigation with the Ministry of Works and proffer immediate solution to the poor state of the Third Mainland Bridge in Lagos.

The federal lawmakers made these recommendations after two lawmakers brought up the issue of the poor state of the Niger and Third Mainland Bridges.

Senator Hope Uzodinma pointed out the worsening condition of the River Niger Bridge and the need for the federal government to ensure that the second bridge becomes a reality.

Senator Gbenga Ashafa, who moved the motion on the Third Mainland Bridge, noted that if the deplorable condition of the bridge is not addressed immediately, it could lead to a national disaster.

The Third Mainland Bridge which measures 11.8 km is the longest bridge in the country and connects the Lagos Mainland to the Island.

It was built by Julius Berger Nigeria Plc and Borini Prono, and commissioned by former military president Ibrahim Babangida in 1990.

The Federal Ministry of Works completed repair works on the bridge in October 2012.

However, some of the lawmakers are of the opinion that the repair works done on the bridge is not sufficient.