Power Restored In Kaduna State After Three-Day Blackout

A file photo of a powerline.
A file photo of a powerline.


Power was restored to Kaduna State on Wednesday night after three days of blackout due to the strike of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) in the state.

This is coming hours after the NLC suspended its five-day warning strike in the state.

Spokesperson of the Kaduna Electricity Distribution Company in the state Abdulazeez Abdullahi announced in a statement on Wednesday that power was restored by 10:30pm.

“We are happy to report that power supply has been restored to many parts of Kaduna State after the suspension of the strike action by the Nigerian Labour Congress this evening.

READ ALSO: NLC Suspends Strike In Kaduna

“As at 10:30 pm, we were able to pick load on most of our 11KV feeders hence many parts of the metropolis including Zaria and environs have had their supply restored. This was possible after restoration of the 33KV feeders by the Transmission Company of Nigeria.

“We once again thank all our esteemed customers and other stakeholders for bearing with us in the past four days. We also appreciate the efforts of the TCN team for supporting us in restoring supply back,” he said.

Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai had earlier said his government was yet to see the evidence that the NLC was backing off from what it described as a campaign of economic and social sabotage against the people of the state.

A statement signed by El-Rufai’s Special Adviser on Media and Communication, Muyiwa Adekeye, stressed the need for prompt restoration of electricity in the state and warned that Labour should not expect that it would be a matter for negotiation, much less being viewed as a precondition.

New Owners of Kaduna Electricity DisCo To Take Over October 6

Kaduna Electricity

Baring any last minute hitches, the preferred bidder of Kaduna Electricity Distribution Company (KEDCO), Northwest Power Limited, (NPL) will take over ownership of the company upon completion of the 75% bid price on October 6, 2014.

Managing Director of the distribution company, Mr Idris Mohammed, told a news conference on Monday that North West Consortium Limited, which emerged as the preferred bidder for the company during the privatisation exercise last year, had already paid 25 per cent of the Share Purchase Agreement in last June and is expected to complete the remaining 75 per cent by first week of October to enable it take over the company fully.

The Bureau for Public Enterprise (BPE) had extended up till October 6, for the preferred bidder to pay the remaining 75% of its bid price after failing to meet two previous deadlines which elapsed last August.

The Managing Director also disclosed that three injector power sub stations in the state would be commissioned on September 29 as part of efforts by the company to improve electricity supply to residents of the state.