The displaced people of Fadan Attakar community in Kaura local government area of Kaduna State have appealed to the Kaduna State government to help them get over the shock from last Saturday’s attack on the village by unknown gunmen.
The attack has displaced about 10,000 indigenes of the community who are scared of going back to their homes.
The paramount ruler of the community condemned the attack saying members of the community have lived peacefully with their neighbours over the years.
With their houses completely razed down, the villagers have become refugees in their own land.
Expressing sadness over what he called ‘man’s wickedness to his fellow man’, Governor Muktar Ramalan Yero who cut short his trip outside the country to visit the displaced persons and those in the hospital described the attack as uncalled for.
Although government has promised to assist the victims to get back on their feet and do everything possible to avert a re-occurrence of such incident, the people are demanding that an urgent arrangement be made for their immediate return and rehabilitation as condition for normalcy in the affected areas.
The Acting United States Ambassador in Nigeria, Mr. Jeffery Hawkins today paid a familiarization visit to the headquarters of Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF) in Kaduna where he assured them that American government will assist the north in tackling some of its challenges.
He said that the US government has so far committed over half a billion dollars in the areas of health assistance, elections, agriculture and security in Nigeria over the past one year.
Mr Hawkins also stressed the need for the Nigerian government to look beyond using security agencies only in the fight against terrorism but to find other possible ways of tackling the situation.
While stating the importance of the northern part of Nigeria to the United States, the Consular General said he was at the ACF secretariat to get first-hand information on some misinformation about the north.
Earlier in an address, ACF National Publicity Secretary, Mr. Antnony Sani used the occasion to brief the visiting American envoy on the forum’s activities towards promoting peace in the region.
The Nigerian Army has commenced its annual range classification shooting exercise for officers and soldiers in weapon handling and other military skills.
The Army says this is aimed at improving the proficiency and professional competence of its personnel and re-evaluating officers and soldiers on their mastery of weapons in line with the Nigerian army headquarters’ vision of maintaining a professional force.
The exercise which is planned to last for two months is taking place at the Nigerian Airforce Base shooting range, Mando Kaduna, North West Nigeria.
Briefing journalists on the importance of the exercise, the general officer commanding One Division, Nigerian army, Major General Abdul Wahab said the training would equip the officers and men as marksmen with the aim of reducing casualties among the civilian populace in the fight against terrorism and other security challenges.
Weapons such as AK47, FN, pistols and general purpose machine guns are to be used for the exercise which included static 200 meters, 100 meters firing at targets and movement exercise.
Although the Nigerian army is noted for its sterling records in peacekeeping and internal security operations, the force has also recorded cases of professional negligence from its personnel. It is against this backdrop that the army headquarters considered it appropriate to conduct yearly range classification shooting exercise for its personnel.
It is expected that the officers and men undergoing the training will come out better equipped to fight the current terrorism and insurgency in the country.
Former governor of Zamfara State and serving Senator, Ahmed Yerima has been speaking on his arrest on Saturday by the police for allegedly making inciting statement on a live Hausa programme on the Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria (FRCN) station in Kaduna.
The Senate deputy minority whip said shortly after his release that his statements during the programme were not incisive and did not contravene the law of the country.
The Kaduna state police commissioner,Olufemi Adenaike had led a team of policemen in six hilux vans to arrest the former governor at the FRCN premises shortly after the programme.
Mr. Yerima was alleged to have said that if the independent national electoral commission failed to register the newly formed all progressive congress ahead of the 2015 elections, the party members would stage a peaceful protest at the eagle square in Abuja.
But the police commissioner said Senator Yerima was only invited for interrogation over the statement, adding that the statement credited to the senator was capable of causing crisis in the state.
The Senator was detained at the headquarters of the Kaduna police command. Shortly after his supporters were seen trooping to the gate of the command to demand for his immediate release.
There was confusion on Tuesday in Kaduna after an explosion at a refuse dump behind a market in Kachia caused a scare among the residents of the town.
This incident comes after Saturday’s attack by gunmen suspected to be Fulani herdsmen at Aduwan Gida Village in Zango-Kataf Local Government Area, also in the southern part of the state, in which five persons, including a six-year baby and his mother, were killed.
Channels Television’s correspondent gathered that an object suspected to be a bomb exploded in the area and forced the residents of the area to scamper for safety.
The incident took place just as the state Governor, Ramallan Yero was on a visit to the area (Southern part of the state) where the Fulani herdsmen allegedly attacked residents of Aduwan village on Saturday.
An eyewitness said that the incident which took place at about 11am, caused panic among residents of the area.
It was also learnt that the Anti-bomb Squad of the State Police Command was dispatched to the area and they discovered that “it was no bomb after all.”
Also, the Vice Chairman of the council, Alfred Maisamari confirmed to journalists that it was not bomb explosion as being rumoured, saying that it was an empty shell of mosquito insecticide that exploded.
The Police Public Relations Officer, Kaduna State Command, DSP Aminu Lawan, while confirming the incident, said the empty can exploded as a result of bush burning in the area.
The Nigerian Army report on the attack at the Armed Forces and Command Staff College in Kaduna in November 2012 has indicted the former commander, Nigerian Army Corps of Infantry, Major General Mohammed Isah.
Major General Isah according to the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Azubike Ihejirika, was found wanting on negligence of duty even after getting reports of the attack at the college.
The chief of army staff reiterated that the former commander was not retired because of the attack but as a result of his attaining his retirement age, which is a fact in the army records that is also known to the general.
Two suicide bombs in November 2012 hit a church inside a military barracks of the Armed Forces Command and Staff College, in Jaji, Kaduna state, killing 11 people and injuring 30 others.
The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) subsequently removed two top military officials from their posts at the college. The affected officials were Air Vice Marshal Ibrahim Kure, the Commandant of the Armed Forces Command and Staff College, and Major General Mohammed Isa, Commander, Nigerian Army Corps of Infantry, Jaji.
A suspect arrested for planning to bomb ThisDay office in Kaduna, Mustapher Mohammed, on Monday, pleaded not guilty to one count charge of terrorism at an Abuja High Court.
Mustapher Umar was arrested on 26th April 2012 in a white Honda marked Al 306 MKA allegedly laden with improvised explosive devices.
He was found at Sog Complex, housing ThisDay Newspaper, The Moment and The Sun in Kaduna.
On the the same day, the ThisDay office complex was bombed in Jabi Area of Abuja.
When the charge was read to him, Umar pleaded not guilty.
Prosecutor, Simeon Labaran urged the court to set a date for the commencement of trial but Justice Adeniyi Ademola ordered for a house cleaning job on the part of the prosecution.
The court also directed the prosecutor to file Proof of Evidence, summary of its case, list of witnesses and other relevant documents within the next two weeks. The defense lawyer is to respond to the charges against his client, within two weeks.
Before the court adjourned to 12th of March for trial, the Defence lawyer, Mr. Felix Umahi sought an order of the court to allow him and a member of the accused person’s family access to his client.
Justice Ademola who agreed with the defense counsel, however made an order for access to be granted to only the legal team of the accused person.
He also set the 18th through to the 22nd of March for the defense counsel to make its case.
The FCT Police Command have discovered and defused a suspicious package addressed to the Minister of Finance, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala in the Federal capital Territory, Abuja.
The package suspected to be a bomb was found in front of the Garki Area 10 Postal Service office.
The Post Master General of the Nigeria Postal Service, Mallam Ibrahim Baba told journalists that the package, which was addressed to the Minister of Finance, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala was brought by a man last Friday.
Mallam baba explained that men of the Anti-Bomb Squad defused the package, hence causing a panic in the area.
However, the FCT Commissioner of Police, Mr. Adenrele Shinaba explained that the suspicious package had to be defused to avoid any loss of lives as witnessed sometimes back in Kaduna.
Mr. Shinaba added that the package actually contained sand and tiles.
First batch of 80 Nigerian military contingent to the African led international peace support mission in Mali have departed to Mali and the Chief of Army Staff has claimed the deployment enhance the federal government fight against Boko Haram.
The soldiers departed at exactly 6PM, Thursday evening.
They were airlifted by a Nigerian Air Force cargo plane to Mali through the Kaduna international airport.
The remaining 826 are to be airlifted from tomorrow.
The Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Azubuike Ihejirika, said the contribution of Nigeria in the restoration of peace in Mali will complement the federal government’s efforts in the fight against Boko Haram insurgence in the country.
General Ihejirika who was addressing the first Nigerian battalion to African led international peace support mission in Mali, said the crisis in Mali which has become a global concern has attracted intervention from the international community.
He said that some of the members of Boko Haram sect had undergone training in Mali.
A total of 906 personnel of the Nigerian army had undergone a four week pre-deployment training at the Nigerian Army Peacekeeping Centre Jaji, Kaduna where they were trained on various skills ahead of the deployment.
The Nigerian soldiers will be joining troops from other countries, as part of an African force to fight against Islamist militants in the West African nation seeking to seize and overthrow the government.
The Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Ihejirika charged the soldiers to stick to the rules of their engagement if they must succeed in the enormous task, which is necessary to aid the fight against Boko Haram in the country.
He also commissioned operational vehicles for the peace mission in Mali.
The commandant of the centre, Major General John Zaruwa, noted that the training was designed to suit the operational environment while expressing confidence that the battalion will live up to expectation.
“They are not peacekeepers, they are peace enforcers. And they are trained to use all means including force to restore peace in Mali” he explained.
The Nigerian contingent are going to an unfamiliar terrain in Mali to face a versatile adversary who observers say are determined, well-equipped and well-trained.
In the light of this, many have raised fears about the adequacy of preparations towards the welfare of the families they have left behind.
But the Chief of Army Staff said there is no cause for alarm as he wished the soldiers good luck while in Mali. He also reminded them to be disciplined and make the country proud