Two suspected Boko Haram terrorists carrying out surveillance on Kareto and Dangalti villages, were apprehended by Troops of 158 Task Force Battalion of 5 Brigade, Nigerian Army.
This was revealed in a statement signed by the Director Army Public Relations, Brigadier General Sani Kukasheka Usman.
The statement adds that, “Preliminary investigation shows that the apprehended spies were on a mission to facilitate possible attack on the communities by Boko Haram terrorists.
“One of the Boko Haram terrorist belonging to Mamman Nur’s faction, Bulama Kailani Mohammed Metel, under the leadership of Abu Mustapha surrendered himself to troops of 145 task Force Battalion, 5 Brigade at Damasak”.
It has been confirmed that the surrendered suspect, Bulama Kailani Mohammed Metel, a high profile terrorist, had been on the Nigerian Army’s Wanted Boko Haram terrorists poster recently produced, with a serial number 253.
He is currently undergoing further interrogation.
Soldiers from Niger Republic have withdrawn from Damasak, a boundary town in northern Borno State, one of the states lately terrorised by Boko Haram.
The withdrawal of soldiers followed recent recapture of the town, considered one of the last strongholds of the outlawed terrorist group by troops of the Multi-National Joint Task Force (MNJTF).
Troops of the Sector 4 of the MNJTF, with headquarters in Diffa of Niger Republic had successfully cleared and occupied Dutse Village last month.
Theatre Commander of the Operation Lafiya Dole, Major General Lucky Irabor, visited the recovered town enroute Mobbar to congratulate and address troops of the 145 battalion for their exploits.
Irabor said the retreating Niger Troops would continue operation on their own side of the border.
“Where is left is only Abadam and Malanfatori.
“We are going there already the troops in Kangarwa are warming up. If not for the rain they would have been in Malanfatori.
“Very soon this operation would be over. All you need to do is keep the instructions we are giving to you,” Major General Irabor told the troops.
Troops of Operation Lafiya Dole first captured Kareto, another stronghold and thereafter linked up with troops of the MNJTF that captured Damasak which has now been occupied by the Operation Lafiya Dole Troops.
The leading elements of the Acting General Officer Commanding (GOC), 7 Division Nigerian Army, Brigadier General Victor Ezugwu’s convoy was about 8.30am on Tuesday morning ambushed by suspected Boko Haram terrorists on his way to visit troops in Bama.
The Acting Director, Army Public Relations, Colonel Sani Usman, revealed this in a statement on Tuesday.
According to him, one soldier lost his life and two others were injured, but the soldiers were able to clear the ambush, killing some of the terrorists and recovered vehicle and weapons from them.
The recovered items include a Toyota Hilux vehicle, two AK-47 rifles and several ammunition.
Meanwhile, the Acting GOC has continued his operational visit to Bama, while the body of the late soldier and the wounded have been evacuated to Maiduguri.
The Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Yusuf Buratai, has also spoken with the GOC.
“The Nigerian Army wishes to reiterate its unalloyed commitment and determination to continue to clear the remnants of the Boko Haram terrorists wherever they might be hiding,” Colonel Usman said.
Nigerian troops have restored normalcy to Kareto town in northern Borno State, northeast Nigeria, after repelling prolonged attack on the town by the extremist Boko Haram sect.
Army Spokesperson, Sani Usman, had on Monday announced that the Nigerian troops were engaged in a heavy gun fight with members of the terror group.
The Army said that “the troops successfully repelled the attack and killed quite a number of the terrorists after nearly 10 hours of battle.”
Kareto is 120 kilometres north of Maiduguri and Monday’s attack by Boko Haram came at a time the Nigerian military is intensifying its onslaught on the terrorist group.
In a chat with Channels Television on Tuesday morning, Colonel Usman said, “The Boko Haram terrorists attacked, we called for reinforcement from our troops from 7 Division as well as the Nigerian Air Force and they rose to the occasion.
“The insurgents were routed out. Quite a number of them were killed and unfortunately two officers and 22 soldiers sustained various degrees of injuries and have been evacuated to military hospitals in Maiduguri.”
Nigerian Army troops are battling members of the Boko Haram sect in Borno State, Nigeria’s northeast region.
A statement issued by the Acting Director, Army Public Relations, Colonel Sani Usman, says the terrorists launched an attack on troops of 113 Battalion at Kareto, Northern Borno State.
The statement adds that the troops have been battling the insurgents since the early hours of Monday.
The Nigerian Army Headquarters had earlier confirmed the onslaught in a tweet.
We will keep you updated on this developing story.
The military had on Sunday announced its discovery of a large cache of arms and ammunition concealed by Boko Haram terrorists in Borgozo-Alargano general area of Borno State.
Troops of Operation Lafiya Dole and some Civilian Joint Task Force made the discovery during a clearance patrol by the troops following a tip off.
According to the Theatre Commander, the patrol team also cleared remnants of Boko Haram terrorists that were dislodged from Alagarno forest hibernating at Kadari, Camp Abu Fatima and Gursum.