No Further Delays In Evans’ Trial, Says Court

Court Adjourns Evans’ Trial Till October
File photo

 

The trial of alleged kidnap kingpin, Chukwudumeme Onwuamadike, popularly known as Evans, resumed on Tuesday at the Lagos State High Court as he (Evans) hired a new counsel.

While the counsel, Chino Obiagwu, requested for a short adjournment to enable him study the case file, Justice Hakeem Oshodi refused the request, stating that there would be no further delays.

The fifth and sixth defendants counsel, Mr Agwulanna Uzoukwu and Mr Emmanuel Ochai, opposed Mr Obiagwu’s prayer, pointing out that the several adjournments were affecting the liberty of their clients.

On his part, the state counsel, Mr Haaron Adebayo, also opposed the adjourment request, saying the state was ready for trial.

The trial had been put on hold, with the last hearing on June 26 because of changes in defence counsels.

After the various parties had made their cases at the hearing on Tuesday it was then adjourned till October 26 for further hearing.

Court Adjourns Evans’ Trial Till March

Trial in the case involving suspected kindnap kingping, Chukwudumeme Onwuamadike, also known as Evans, and five others continued on Friday at the Ikeja High Court in Lagos.

The Prosecution witness, Mr Anselm Dunu, who is also the elder brother to one of the suspected kidnapper’s victims, Ignatius Dunu, fielded questions from the defence counsel.

Mr Dunu admitted to receiving phone calls from strange voices, but could not tell who it was on the phone, because the audio was muffled.

While giving his testimony before Justice Hakeem Oshodi, he admitted that he did not dispose of the ransom himself, hence he could not tell who received the money.

Dunu said he only met Evans for the first time at the office of the Inspector General of Police in June 2017.

Justice Oshodi then adjourned hearing till the March 2 for continuation of trial, and ruling on bail application brought by the sixth defendant Victor Aduba.

Court Adjourns Evans’ N300m Fundamental Rights Case

I Have No Hand In Suits Filed Against Police, Evans Says

The N300m fundamental rights enforcement suit filed against the Inspector-General of Police by suspected kidnap kingpin, Chukwudumeme Onwuamadike popularly known as Evans has been adjourned until July 27.

Justice Chuka Obiozor adjourned the suit after declining to entertain the case today on the basis that ‘Evans’ lawyer, Mr Olukoya Ogungbeje, had yet to pay the punitive cost of N20,000 awarded against him at the last adjourned date.

Justice Abdulaziz Anka, who awarded the punitive cost against Ogungbeje on July 13, had said the lawyer would not be given audience in court until he paid the N20,000 to the police for failing to inform them of his absence in court at the last sitting

READ ALSO: I Have No Hand In Suit Filed Against Police – Evans

Counsel to the Commissioner of Police in Lagos, Mr Effiong Asuquo, noted that Ogungbeje gave him a post-dated cheque for N20,000 but he rejected it, as it was not the order of the court.

Justice Obiozor agreed with the police lawyer and directed Ogungbeje to comply with the order and pay up the cost awarded against him.

The judge also directed the lawyer to ensure service of his client’s application on the Inspector-General of Police in Abuja.

He, subsequently, adjourned the case till July 27.

In his fundamental rights enforcement suit, Evans is seeking a court order directing the police to immediately charge him to court if there’s any criminal case against him or in the alternative to release him

Evans says that his detention since June 10, 2017, without being charged to court was a violation of his fundamental rights enshrined in sections 35 (1) (c) (3) (4) (5) (a) (b) and 36 of the Constitution.

For his alleged unlawful detention without being charged to court, Evans wants the court to award N300m damages against the police in his favour.

Evans Suit: Court Slams Lawyer With N20,000 As Punitive Cost

A Federal High Court sitting in Lagos on Thursday awarded a cost of N20,000 against a Lagos based lawyer, Olukoya Ogungbeje, who is counsel to the suspected billionaire kidnapper, Chukwudumeme Onwuamadike more popularly known as Evans.

Presiding Justice Abdulaziz Anka awarded the punitive cost for what he described as unprofessional conduct.

Ogungbeje had filed a N300m Fundamental Rights Enforcement Suit on behalf of Evans against the leadership of the Nigerian Police Force.

The hearing of the suit was however stalled today owing to the lawyer’s absence in court.

Read Also: Evans Is Intact In Our Custody – Police

Ogungbeje had written to the judge requesting for an adjournment on grounds of ill health and the need to attend to his health. He, however, failed to communicate same to the lawyer representing the Nigerian Police.

Justice Anka who frowned at the development said, “It is unprofessional for a lawyer to communicate with a judge without carrying the other parties along.

“The court has noted the conduct of counsel, who wrote to the court without copying other parties.

“This is unprofessional. The court hereby warns the counsel to desist from such a conduct.”

Read Also: I Have No Hand In Suits Filed Against Police, Evans Says

The judge in a short ruling held that the punitive cost must be paid before the next adjourned date, adding that Olukoye Ogungbeje would not be given audience if he fails to do so.

The matter was then adjourned until July 20, 2017.

Meanwhile, Evans had dissociated himself from the recent suits filed on his behalf against the police.

Evans Is Intact In Our Custody – Police

I Have No Hand In Suits Filed Against Police, Evans SaysThe Nigerian Police has debunked news making the rounds that suspected kidnap kingpin, Chukwudumeme Onwuamadike, A.K.A Evans, has vanished from police custody.

A statement by the Force Public Relations Officer, CSP Jimoh Moshood, noted that the reports are “untrue and absolute falsehood”.

“Evans is intact in police custody, investigation into all the crimes he has committed which include several kidnappings; armed robbery and murder, are ongoing. The Police have made significant progress in the investigations of these crimes.

Also according to the statement, he would be arraigned in court along with other members of his gang on completion of investigation.

The news of his alleged disappearance follows the recent lawsuits filed on his behalf compelling the police authorities to either charge him to court immediately or unconditionally release him from custody.

Read Also: Kidnap Kingpin Evans Sues IGP, Others Over His Detention

Barely 24 hours after the first suit, Evans allegedly filed another suit in which he claimed the sum of N300m as general and exemplary damages against the police for alleged illegal detention and unconstitutional media trial.

Read Also: Evans Demands N300m Compensation From Police In Fresh Suit

He, however, dissociated himself from the lawsuits, saying: “I have no hand in any case filed against the police and I did not speak with any lawyer or my father to fill a case on my behalf. All I will say is that they should temper justice with mercy.

The controversy surrounding the case first began to take a new turn when the ‘Free Evans’ campaign, as well as a photo of the kidnapper’s wife and children, pleading for the mercy surfaced on social media; a situation which angered many.

Read Also: ‘FreeEvans’ Campaign Angers Nigerians

‘FreeEvans’ Campaign Angers Nigerians

Chaos seems to have risen on social media as Nigerians have been reacting to a #FreeEvans campaign that recently went viral particularly on Twitter.

The campaign follows the arrest of Lagos-based kidnap kingpin, Chukwudi Dumeme Onuamadike, a.k.a Evans.

He was arrested on June 10 along with six suspected top members of his gang at Magodo Estate in Lagos.

The arrest was secured after “an intense gun battle” with the Joint Special Forces led by the Intelligence Response Team, the Lagos State Police Command’s Anti-Kidnapping Unit and Technical and Intelligent Unit of the Force under the supervision of the Commissioner of Police, Lagos State.

Following his arrest, a twitter user was said to have first used the hashtag and tweeted that Igbos were being victimised.

Since the hashtag began to trend, many Nigerians have expressed their irritation as to why anyone might be in support of a kidnapper.

Meanwhile, what some may have found more infuriating was when a photo of his wife and children (seen in tears, pleading with Nigerians to have mercy on her husband) surfaced the internet.

The 36-year-old kidnap kingpin had been on the watch-list of the Police for about seven years and is reputed to be the most notorious and richest kidnapper in Nigeria.

He is believed to have received millions of dollars in ransom payment

Read Also: Kindnap Kingpin Leads Police To Detention Camps

Gov. Bello Demolishes Four Kidnappers’ Dens In Okene

Yahaya-Bello-Governor-Kogi-StateThe Kogi State Governor, Yahaya Bello, has demolished buildings used by suspected kidnappers, terrorist and armed robbers in perpetrating their crime, in Okene central Senatorial district of the state.

Governor Bello, who was accompanied to the area by the Commissioner of Police, Wilson Inalegwu, and other security agencies in the state, has so far pulled down four structures, with a vow from the governor to implement the anti-kidnapping robbery and terrorism law in the state.

Recently, the central senatorial district witnessed a lot of criminality ranging from cultism, armed robbery and kidnapping.

Meanwhile, it was all celebration and jubilation by the large crowed of the people from that area who came watching as the building of the notorious kidnap Kingpin Tijanni Bakare situated at Oyunkoko ward in Okene LGA area, was pulled down by the bulldozer.

The building which was discovered to have his five cars, a tortoise, black dog, and a shrine in it was were kidnap victims were said to be paid.

Then enforcement team and the Governor also demolished the notorious Ahlui-Sunnah Mosque in Inike, Okene lga, which was reportedly hijacked in 2015 by members of the Boko Haram terrorist group and has been serving as operational base for their nefarious activities.

The last building demolished was at Adavi local government area, owned by 75-years old Aishetu Mohammed, who started crying as soon as the team arrived, her son was said to keep arms and ammunition ina  part of the house which was later discovered.

The government through the administrator of the local Government while demolishing the building, promised to build a four bedroom flat for her.

Police Kill Notorious Kidnap Kingpin, Robbery Suspect, Vampire

vampire1
‘Vampire’ with other suspects

Police Special Forces, led by the IGP Intelligence Response Team (IRT) have killed notorious kidnap kingpin and armed robbery suspect, Henry Chibueze, also known as ‘Vampire’.

The wanted criminal met his waterloo early this morning at about 1AM on Thursday during a gunbattle with the IGP Intelligence Response Team in Omu Awa Forest,Ikwerre L.G.A. Rivers State.

Five other members of his gang were arrested alive and cache of arms and ammunition were recovered.

Recall that Vampire had escaped from Imo High Court premises following a shootout between gunmen and security operatives in Owerri, Imo State on January 27th.

In an attack that left several persons wounded,men suspected to be members of his gang attacked the operatives when Vampire and other inmates arrived at the premises of the Imo High Court in Owerri.

According to an eyewitness,the gunmen, over six of them, found their way into the court premises shortly after over 50 inmates were conveyed to court for hearing of various suits filed against them.

The gunmen opened fire on the security operatives and inmates at the court premises shooting sporadically into the air for over 10 minutes leaving several people wounded as Vampire and about eight other inmates escaped.

The Imo Governor, Rochas Okorocha promised a reward of Five million Naira to anyone with valuable information that can lead to the arrest of the escapee criminal.

Government Demolishes Properties Of Suspected Kingpin In Umuahia

The Abia state government has demolished two houses in Umuahia owned by Olisagbo Ifedike, a suspected kidnap kingpin, an indigene of Oraifite, Ekwusigo local government area, Anambra state.

Mr. Ifedike popularly called ‘Ofe-Akwu’ was arrested in 2012 by a team of anti-terrorist squad at Enugu in connection with a series of kidnapping and armed robbery cases in the southeast.

The two residences which allegedly served as hideouts include a resort (akoto resort located at ohobe-afara) and a private home at agbama, all in Umuahia.

The state government has also declared its readiness to confiscate any other landed property discovered to be owned by the suspected criminal.

Special Adviser to Abia State Governor on Task Force and Allied Matters, Retired Captain. Awa Agwu alongside heavily armed security operatives visited the site of demolition.

Retired Captain Agwu announced that the demolition exercise had the approval of the government and is in line with the anti-terrorist/ kidnap law as amended by the State House of Assembly.

No items were recovered as it was alleged that the suspect’s wife has removed them.