Tanzania Calls For Probe Into UN Peacekeeper Killings

Tanzania People’s Defence Forces soldiers carry the coffin of a Tanzanian peacekeeper on December 11, 2017 at the Ukonga Air Base in Dar es Salaam. 14 Tanzanian peacekeepers were killed and 53 injured in the North Kivu province of the Democratic Republic of Congo on late December 7 by suspected Ugandan rebels. The attack is the bloodiest against MONUSCO, the UN force that was deployed in DRC in 1999, and the worst against a UN force since the death of 24 Pakistani peacekeepers in Somalia in June 1993. AFP

Tanzania called on Thursday for an investigation into the killing of 14 soldiers serving as UN peacekeepers in Democratic Republic of Congo by suspected Ugandan rebels.

“The Tanzanian government is asking the United Nations to conduct a thorough, transparent and genuine investigation,” Prime Minister Kassim Majaliwa said at a ceremony in Dar es Salaam in honour of the soldiers, whose bodies were repatriated on Monday.

Tanzanian army chief General Venance Mabeyo said one soldier was still missing and 44 wounded troops were being treated in hospital.

“We hope that the United Nations will do this quickly,” Majaliwa added, speaking alongside UN peacekeeping chief Jean-Pierre Lacroix.

The peacekeepers were killed on December 7 in the war-torn eastern DR Congo by gunmen suspected to be from the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF), a Ugandan Muslim rebel force. They do not claim the attacks.

The attack was the biggest single loss of peacekeepers in nearly a quarter of a century.

AFP

Nigerians Seek End To Killings In South Africa

Nigerians Seek Prompt End To Killings In South Africa
File photo

Some Nigerians in South Africa have asked the Nigerian Government to intervene in what they describe as “increasing deaths” at the hands of the police.

Following very closely to an alleged police killing in Cape Town recently, another Nigerian, Kingsley Ikeri, has been allegedly killed in Vryheid town of Kwazulu Natal province.

READ ALSO: Killing Of Nigerian In South Africa Is One Too Many – Dabiri-Erewa

Late Kingsley Ikeri

Aggrieved Nigerians living in South Africa alleged that the 36-year-old who died on August 30 was tortured and suffocated to death by the police.

The friend of the deceased, Emeka Okoye, who claimed they were arrested together, told Channels Television that he survived the same ordeal.

He said, “Police arrested two of us and in the process, they took me to my house where they put a plastic on my face for over one hour thirty minutes (with my hands and legs handcuffed).”

“Afterwards, they took me back to the station and took the guy (Ikeri) away; that’s what I witnessed. I nearly died that day because I’ve never experienced such in my life. Even right now, there is blood stain in my sputum when I cough,” Okoye claimed.

The Minister (Immigration and Consular), Nigerian Consulate, Mr Anthony Ogbe, lamented that efforts made so far had been futile as they were yet to see the government make any move to address the issues.

“Unfortunately, the previous interventions that we made appeared not to have yielded any dividends because we have not seen any of the cases prosecuted, let alone anybody convicted.

“We are appalled by this. Notwithstanding, we will continue to do what we need to do and that is to continue to engage the South African authorities,” Ogbe said.

However, spokesperson for the South African Police is yet to respond to the allegation.

On the other hand, a South African based Nigerian lawyer, Omo Ogboro, said he has begun the process of dusting up the numerous inquest dockets of Nigerians unlawfully killed in the country.

Ogboro, who says he is representing a Nigerian interest group called Concerned Nigerians, revealed this during an interview with Channels Television in Pretoria.

He is hopeful that those affected would get justice, adding that the Nigerian Government will also do much more to bring the incidents to a stop.

Fresh Killings Spark Violence In Kaduna Communities

An uneasy calm is said to prevail in the Kabala West area of Kaduna South, after three persons were reported to have been killed in the area at the weekend.

The news of the killing triggered violence earlier on Monday in Nariya and Ungwan Muazu communities, which almost degenerated into a religious crisis.

Our correspondent gathered that the residents woke up to discover the bodies, which prompted one of the groups to launch a reprisal on a rival group today.

The fracas was said to have disrupted vehicular traffic as many travelers headed out of the city towards Abuja and the Kaduna airport could not make their way out.

Although the police have not confirmed the actual number of the dead bodies found, normalcy is said to have returned to the area following the deployment of security personnel to the area.

Youths Protest Against Criminality In Niger Delta

Youths-Niger-DeltaHundreds of youths under the aegis of the National Youth Council of Nigeria (NYCN) have protested against the criminality in the Niger Delta region.

The Rivers State chapter of the group took to the streets of Port Harcourt to drum up support for the fight against all forms of wrongdoing in the Niger Delta.

They carried placards with various inscriptions as they embarked on a long walk from first artillery through the busy Aba road in the state capital.

The Rivers State Chairman of NYCN, Sokubo Sara-Igbe, told journalists on Wednesday that the move became necessary following reports of kidnapping, killings, pipeline vandalism and other vices.

President Buhari Condemns Terrorist Attack In Florida

buhari-sadPresident Muhammadu Buhari has condemned Sunday’s terrorist attack on the Pulse Night Club, Orlando, Florida, describing it as ‘‘criminal’’ and ‘‘cowardly’’. 

In a letter to the Ambassador of the United States in Nigeria, James Entwistle, President Buhari conveyed Nigeria’s heartfelt sympathy to President Barrack Obama and the people of United States of America.

The President also assured the United States of Nigeria’s continued support and cooperation in the fight against terrorism.

‘‘President Buhari extends his most sincere condolences to the families, relatives and friends of the victims.

‘‘The President condemns such criminal, cowardly attack, wherever it might occur, as an attack on all decent, democratic, peaceful people.

“Every terrorist attack only strengthens Nigeria’s resolve to stand shoulder to shoulder with the United States and other countries in the frontline of the war on terror,’’ the letter, which was signed by the Chief of Staff to the President, Abba Kyari read.

President Buhari also called ‘‘on all peace-loving nations to commit themselves whole-heartedly to multilateral cooperation and collaborative actions aimed at eradicating the scourge of international terrorism.’’

Various Americans on Monday made statements in connection to the killings that took place in Orlando, central Florida in the United States.

A rampage had occurred on Sunday at a gay nightclub, with at least 50 people killed and 53 more wounded.

In his White House briefing, President Barack Obama said Americans were bonded in grief, outrage and “resolve to defend our people”, after “an act of terror and an act of hate”.Orlando Shooting

He described the incident as the ‘worst mass shooting in U.S. history’ and ordered that the American flags be lowered to half-staff to honor the victims of the attack.

Obama, Biden Others React To Orlando Killings

Barack Obama, Joe Biden, OrlandoVarious Americans on Monday made statements in connection to the killings that took place in Orlando, central Florida in the United States.

A rampage had occurred on Sunday at a gay nightclub, with at least 50 people killed and 53 more wounded.

In his White House briefing, President Barack Obama said Americans were bonded in grief, outrage and “resolve to defend our people”, after “an act of terror and an act of hate”.Orlando Shooting

He described the incident as the ‘worst mass shooting in U.S. history’ and ordered that the American flags be lowered to half-staff to honor the victims of the attack.

In a statement by his spokesman, Vice President Joe Biden “offered his prayers for all those killed and injured in the shooting and sends his condolences to all the families and loved ones of the victims”.

“Grudge In His Heart”

US presidential candidate, Hillary Clinton, on her part said the attack was a tragedy that required a serious response.

Also reacting to the shooting was the Congressional LGBT Equality Caucus who issued a statement saying they were “horrified by the tragic shooting”.

Seddique Mateen, the father of the attacker, Omar Mateen, said he did not know that his son had a “grudge in his heart”.

Omar was shot dead by the police.

Mr Mateen said he did not understand why his son carried out the shooting at the Pulse nightclub.

He had earlier said his son was angered after seeing two men kissing in Miami.

According to the BBC, in a statement posted online and addressed to people in his native Afghanistan, Seddique Mateen said his son was “a very good boy”, who had a wife and a child.

“I don’t know what caused it,” he said. “I never figured out that he had a grudge in his heart….I am grief-stricken.”

Boko Haram Attacks Police Station In Borno, Kills 2 Officers

Suspected Boko Haram members have attacked and killed two officers at a police station in Gwoza town, Borno state in Nigeria’s volatile north-east region.

Security sources however say that the sect members lost seven of its members in the attack.

A senior police officer who confirmed the attack and killings, but asked not to be named adds that suspected boko haram members opened fire on policemen at the Gwoza police station at about 8 a.m. yesterday.

Gwoza is about 135 kilometres away from Maiduguri, the capital of Borno state where boko haram was formed.

Security officials believe the sect has camps in Gwoza, where 11 soldiers on an anti-insurgency operation were killed in June.

Suspects Linked To Borno Mosque Attack Arrested

The Nigeria military says 17 militants behind last Sunday’s attack in Konduga village, Borno state where dozens of Muslim worshippers were killed have been arrested.

At least 44 people have been shot dead at a mosque in north-eastern Nigeria, officials in Borno state say.

According to residents,men dressed in military camouflage arrived in Konduga town on Sunday morning, shooting and hacking to death dozens of people returning from morning prayers.

Spokesman for the military, Brigadier Chris Olukolade told Channels Television in Abuja that the militants were nabbed on the day of the attack.

He said efforts are being made to track down more perpetrators of the attack.

Brigadier olukolade also said patrols have been stepped up on land and air , that the number of troops on patrols in rural areas have also been increased to prevent a reoccurrence.

Boko Haram Will Soon Be History – Tambuwal

The Speaker of the House of Representatives, Hon Aminu Waziri Tambuwal, has condemned renewed killing of innocent Nigerians in Borno State by terrorist elements in the North East part of the country, assuring Nigerians that the insurgency will soon be history.

At least 44 people have been shot dead at a mosque in north-eastern Nigeria, officials in Borno state say.

Men dressed in military camouflage arrived in Konduga town on Sunday morning and shot or hacked to death dozens of people returning from morning prayers, two residents said.

The Speaker described as barbaric, the brazen attack on security operatives and killing of innocent worshippers in Konduga.

In a statement issued by his Special Adviser on Media and Public Affairs, Malam Imam Imam, Tambuwal charged security operatives to fish out the perpetrators of the dastardly act and bring them to justice.

He urged Nigerians not to despair, saying the dark period of wanton killings in the country will soon be a thing of the past.

While praying for the repose of the souls of those who died, Tambuwal prayed to God to give their families the fortitude to bear the losses.

Chad Pulls Out Of Mali Peacekeeping

[highlight]Chad, one of the countries involved in the recent peacekeeping mission in Mali, has started to pull out its troops from the country.[/highlight]

This comes after three Chadian soldiers were killed in a suicide attack in Mali on Friday.

However, chad president idriss Deby said his army does not have the skills to fight a shadowy, guerrilla-style of war.

Soldiers from Chad, France and other African countries have ousted Islamist militants from northern Mali’s towns since the invasion, but fighting continues in some remote parts of the Sahara Desert.

Chad’s 2,000 troops were seen as playing a crucial role in the fight because of their experience in desert warfare.

Ribadu Berates FG On State Of Insecurity

The presidential candidate of the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) in the last general election in Nigeria, Nuhu Ribadu, has frowned at the kidnap and murder of the party leader in Anambra State, Mr. Chudi Nwike, as he has asked federal authorities to put a quick check at what appears to be ‘politically motivated killings’ in the country.

Mr. Chudi Nwike who was abducted by gunmen on march 19,was deputy governor of Anambra State under governor Chukwuemeka Ezeife in 1991.

According to his statement, the ACN presidential candidate wonders if this case will not become a mere statistics in “the trail of unresolved murders of many great contributors to the building of the nation who are cut down by the bullets of assassins”.

The politician who was a former police prosecutor said “the government must assure citizens that the value of having of a government that cares for their constitutional rights is not misplaced.”

Gunmen Attack Family Compound In Plateau, Kill Ten

Unknown gunmen stormed Kogwom village in Vom district of Jos south local government area, Plateau State, killing 10 individuals and leaving two others fatally injured.

The gunmen attacked a family compound where 10 members of the family were killed in cold blood while two others sustained gunshot wounds after which the attackers routed their escape through surrounding environs.

The special task force in a press release signed by Lieutenant Kingsley Egbo confirmed the gruesome murder of the family stating that efforts by the force and police to gain access to the scene with a view to combing the area for possible trace of the attackers were foiled by the locals.

Two members of the family were fortunate to be alive and are receiving treatment at the Vom Christian hospital.

Meanwhile, angry youths continue to protest the incessant killings in the area.

Reports from the community indicates that the family lost a grandmother few days ago and gathered for the preparation of her funeral which informed the large presence of the members in the compound as the assailants attacked in the night after a family meeting.

Reacting to the attack, Special Adviser to governor Jonah Jang on media and Publicity Ayuba Pam who was at the scene described the incident as barbaric and inhuman stressing that government will not rest in the search for lasting peace in the state.