MH370 Search: Officials Predict Debris Is Part Of Plane

mh370 Search and rescue officials involved in the MH370 search have said that they are quite optimistic that the debris found on the Indian Ocean Island of Reunion is that of the missing flight.

Martin Dolan, who heads Australia’s search efforts, also said that the operation was continuing “in the right place” in the southern part of the ocean.

The wreckage, said to be a wing part, is to be flown to France for analysis.

The Malaysia Airlines flight – a Boeing 777 travelling from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing – vanished in March 2014.

There were 239 passengers and crew on board when the MH370 went missing.

Aviation experts who have studied photos of the debris said that it resembles a flaperon – a moving part of the wing surface – from a Boeing 777.

“There is no other recorded case of a flaperon being lost from a Boeing 777,” Mr Dolan said.

“We are confident we have the quality of the search to cover that area and find the missing aircraft,” he added.

 

 

Malaysia Releases Transcript Of Last Words From Missing Plane

Handout photo of RAAF pilots looking from the cockpit of an RAAF AP-3C Orion aircraft during the search for MH370 in the southern Indian OceanThe last words from the cockpit of the missing Malaysian jet were a standard “Good night Malaysian three seven zero”, Malaysian authorities said, changing their account of the critical last communication from a more casual “All right, good night”.

Malaysia on Tuesday released the full transcript of communications between the Boeing 777 and local air traffic control before it dropped from civilian radar in the early hours of March 8 as it flew from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.

The correction comes as Malaysian authorities face heavy criticism, particularly from China, for mismanaging the search, now in its fourth fruitless week, and holding back information. Most of the 239 people on board the flight were Chinese.

“There is no indication of anything abnormal in the transcript,” Malaysian Acting Transport Minister Hishammuddin Hussein said in the statement, without giving explanation for the changes in the reported last communication.

“The transcript was initially held as part of the police investigation,” he added.

Minutes after the final radio transmission was received, the plane’s communications were cut off and it turned back across Peninsular Malaysia and headed towards the Indian Ocean, according to military radar and limited satellite data.

The search is now focused on a vast, inhospitable swathe of the southern Indian Ocean west of the Australian city of Perth, but an international team of planes and ships have so far failed to spot any sign of the jetliner.

“In this case, the last known position was a long, long way from where the aircraft appears to have gone,” retired Air Chief Marshal Angus Houston, the head of the Australian agency coordinating the operation, told reporters in Perth.

“It’s very complex, it’s very demanding and we don’t have hard information like we might normally have,” he said.

Malaysia says the plane was likely diverted deliberately, probably by a skilled aviator, leading to speculation of involvement by one or more of the pilots. Investigators, however, have determined no apparent motive or other red flags among the 227 passengers and 12 crew.

The transcript, issued on Tuesday and shared with families of the passengers and crew, covers about 55 minutes of apparently routine conversation, beginning about quarter of an hour before take-off.

The last exchange took place at 1:19 a.m. Nothing appeared to be wrong, as Malaysian air traffic controllers told the pilots they were entering Vietnamese air space, and received a fairly standard sign-off with call sign in reply.

Air Traffic Control: “Malaysian Three Seven Zero contact Ho Chi Minh 120 decimal 9, good night.”

MH370: “Good night, Malaysian Three Seven Zero.”

“Previously, Malaysia Airlines had stated initial investigations indicated that the voice which signed off was that of the co-pilot,” Transport Minister Hishammuddin said in the statement.

“The police are working to confirm this belief, and forensic examination of the actual recording is on-going.”

Malaysia’s ambassador to China had told Chinese families in Beijing as early as March 12 that the last words from the cockpit had been “All right, good night”, which experts said was more informal than called for by standard radio procedures.

Chinese Family Members Clash With Police While Protesting Malaysia’s Handling Of Missing Plane

Malaysian Embassy Protest2Chinese family members of passengers of Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 clashed with police during protests on Tuesday (March 25) in Beijing against the Malaysian government’s handling of the lost plane.

Protesters marched through the centre of the street, chanting ‘Return our families,’ and some holding signs reading “1.3 Billion People Waiting to Greet the Plane.”

At one point protesters demanded that media, which had been cordoned off into several zones by police, follow them to the Malaysian embassy.

At least a dozen protesters began pulling at media behind the cordoned zone to join them; demanding police allow them to enter the restricted area. Police officers physically removed several of the family members from the scene.

One family member could be seen lying on the ground, passed out, after police moved the media away.

The protest ended after a few hours, when police told protesters to get on buses and escorted them out of the area.Malaysian Embassy protest

Steven Wang, who would not say which of his relatives was a passenger on flight MH370, said that the second secretary from the Malaysian embassy had come out to meet the protesters after they presented him with their statement.

The statement, released earlier on Tuesday by the Malaysia Airlines MH370 Family Committee, angrily denounced Malaysia Airlines, the Malaysian government, and the Malaysian military as “executioners” of their family members for their poor handling of the case.

“We were just sitting in front of the embassy and what we are aiming at is to the Malaysian government…we’re just waiting (for) the negotiations between the Chinese government and the Malaysian government,” Wang told media.

Criticism of the Malaysian national carrier mounted after some relatives of those on board first received the news that the search for survivors was over in an SMS from the airline, which said: “We have to assume beyond all reasonable doubt that MH370 has been lost and none of those on board survived.”

When asked by a reporter if he still had doubts about the fate of the passengers, Wang said he did.

“Yes of course, because no evidence. They just give out the result from analysis from the satellite data, and nothing found, so why would we believe (that)?,” said Wang, adding “I don’t believe it.”

Of the 239 people aboard the plane which disappeared over two weeks ago on the way from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing, around two thirds were Chinese.

On Monday (March 24) night, there were hysterical scenes at the hotel where relatives met to watch the Malaysian Prime Minister’s announcement that the plane had likely crashed into the South Indian Ocean, leaving no survivors.

Malaysia Airlines has promised to take the relatives to Australia, the focal point of the search.

Bad weather and rough seas on Tuesday forced the suspension of the search for any wreckage of the missing plane.