FG Sacks 23 Prison Officers Over Jailbreaks

Nigeria Prisons Service, Prison, JailbreaksTwenty-three officers of the Nigeria Prisons Service have been relieved of their jobs for their alleged role in the jailbreaks that occurred recently at Kuje Medium Security Prison in the Federal Capital Territory and Koton-Karfe Prison in Kogi State.

This decision was approved at an emergency meeting of the Civil Defence, Fire, Immigration and Prisons Services Board in Abuja on August 11.

A statement from the Nigeria Prisons Service indicates that 17 junior staff of the Kuje and Konton-Karfe prisons have also been sacked in connection with the jailbreaks.

In addition, the officer in charge of the Nsukka Prison in Enugu State, Mr Lawrence Okonkwo and 10 other staff of the facility have been suspended, to allow for an investigation of the escape of 15 inmates from the prison last week, though six of them were said to have been re-arrested.

The sack comes on the heels of the three jailbreaks that occurred between June and August in Kuje, Koton-Karfe and Nsukka prison facilities, all in Nigeria.

Two inmates escaped from the Kuje prison while 13 others fled the Koton-Karfe prison.

The Nsukka jailbreak was the recent where 15 prisoners escaped, just as six escapees were rearrested.

Prisons Official Debunks Rumours Of Charles Okah’s Escape

charles okahAn official of the Nigerian Prisons Service on Saturday debunked reports that one of the prime inmates in Kuje Prison, Mr Charles Okah, has escape.

The spokesman for the prisons service, Enobore Francis, told Channels Television that Mr Okah was intact in his cell.

He, however, confirmed reports of Kuje Prison brake, saying that two inmates awaiting trialĀ for culpable homicide were at large.

“Actually, yesterday, we had an incident where two inmates awaiting trial escaped from custody.

“Charles Okah is still in safe custody in Kuje Medium Security Prison.

“There is no truth about news making the rounds that Charles Okah escaped from lawful custody. It is not true.

“At least the Comptroller General himself came when the news was trending to assess the situation,” he stressed.

Although reporters were not allowed into the prison with the Comptroller General of Prisons, who carried out an assessment, the prisons spokesperson said the two inmates escaped from their cells at about 7:30 p.m. local time on Friday, June 24.

He said that the Comptroller General had directed that a detailed account of what transpired should be transferred to his office.

“He has promised that any staff found wanting would be made to face the full wrath of the law,” he added.