Akinroluyo Takes Over As Operation Lafiya Dole Commander

Akinroluyo Takes Over As Operation Lafiya Dole Commander

 

The new Theatre Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole, Major General Benson Akinroluyo, has taken over the control of the theatre.

The handover ceremony which was quite impromptu took place on Tuesday at the Theatre Command in Borno State, North East Nigeria.

However, journalists were barred from covering the event which was attended only by principal officers of the theatre.

READ ALSO: Army Replaces Operation Lafiya Dole Commander, Redeploys Senior Officers

Major General Akinroluyo was the General Officer Commanding the Headquarters 3 Division before his new posting was announced by the Nigerian Army authorities on November 10.

He replaces Major General Abba Dikko who has been posted to the Department of Civil-Military Affairs as its chief.

Akinroluyo is the seventh Theatre Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole since Lieutenant General Tukur Buratai became the Chief of Army Staff.

Lieutenant General Buratai launched the Operation in July 2015.

Borno Govt Reviews Existing Curfew Regulations In The State 

Suicide Bombers Kill One, Injure Four In Borno

The Borno State Government has reviewed the existing curfew rules in the state.

The review according to the state government is a sequel to an advice by the Theatre Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole.

The Commissioner for Home Affairs, Information and Culture Dr Mohammed Bulama said on Tuesday that the review was done in the interest of public safety and to ensure that the emerging peace in the State is further consolidated.

READ ALSO: Shekau Releases New Video, Claims Festive Period Attacks

“The curfew as from Tuesday, January 2nd to Friday, January 6, 2018, will commence from 8:00 p.m. till 6:00 a.m.

“While deeply regretting any inconvenience this adjustment of curfew timing may cause, the Borno State Government craves the understanding and full cooperation of the general public,” the statement read.

Before the recent review, the official curfew time was 10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. since 2016 following the return of relative peace in the capital city.

However soft targets in the city have continued to fall victim of carriers of person-borne Improvised Explosive Device (IEDs).

Troops Ambush Boko Haram Terrorists, Injure Many

Troops Ambush, Kill Boko Haram Terrorists In Borno
File photo

The war against terrorism recorded success on Sunday as the Nigerian Army said it successfully ambushed a set of Boko Haram terrorists, recovering many weapons and neutralising the terrorists, in the process.

The Troops of 151 Battalion, 21 Brigade Nigerian Army on operation LAFIYA DOLE laid an ambush on the suspected Boko Haram terrorists at the early hours of Sunday crossing point at Bocost along Ngurosoye -Bama road, Borno State.

Director Army Public Relations, Brigadier General Sani Kukasheka Usman in a statement said the troops neutralised the large number of the Boko Haram terrorists, while other terrorists sustained gunshot wounds.

READ ALSO: Army Rescues Six Persons From Boko Haram Terrorists

Various weapons including one AK 47 rifle with the registration number 1029, one AK 47 magazine, 60 rounds of 7.62mm special, three bicycles,  four empty jerricans, a cutlass and the cash sum of N5,600.00 were recovered from the terrorists.

Below are some of the items recovered from the terrorists:

Military Commits To Ridding Northeast Of Insurgents

Military Commits To Ridding Northeast Of InsurgentsAlthough relative peace may have returned to Nigeria’s northeast, troops fighting the insurgents in the area say they are not resting on their oars in their bid to clear the region of terrorists.

This was confirmed by the Theatre Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole, Major General Lucky Irabor, at the weekly briefing of Army operations in the northeast.

Giving details of their operations so far, Mr Irabor said: “On the 1st of February 2017 at about 09:50 am, home troops cleared Boko Haram Camp at Dusala where six Boko Haram Terrorists were killed.

lafiya-dole1
Some recovered items (arms) on display

Some items were also recovered such as one light machine gun, two RPG tubes, as well as one anti-aircraft gun.

“Thereafter, our troops came in contact with the Boko Haram Terrorists at bulk where a fire-fight ensued and sadly in that firefight we lost three soldiers and five others were wounded.

“Furthermore, nine AK 47 rifles, two RPG bombs, one mortal tube, an anti-aircraft gun and two Hilux vehicles among others were recovered from the terrorists,” he added.

Army Says Mop-Up Operations Are Yielding Positive Results

Army Says Mop-Up Operations Are Yielding Positive Results The Nigerian Army under the Operation Lafiya Dole, has said that the cleaning up of remnants of the Boko Haram Terrorists in the northeast, has continued to yield positive results.

Theatre Commander of the Operation, Major General Lucky Irabor, stated this at the Army’s weekly briefing which took place on Thursday in Maiduguri.

He said, the Army has intercepted a letter written by the terrorist group seeking support in arms and ammunition.

Recalling an unfortunate incident that recently occurred, Irabor said: “Inspite of the regrettable occurrence of 7th January 2017 at Rann, our gallant troops have continued to gain traction by recording success in our operational engagements.”

With respect to the Rann incident, Irabor further stated that an emergency response team was established afterwards.

“A well co-ordinated response, involving the troops of Operation Lafiya Dole, United Nations Office Of the Co-ordination of Humanitarian Affairs, the ICRC, MSF and Borno state government was initiated.

“A surgical centre was established in Rann to help stabilise the wounded before being evacuated to Maiduguri.”

Also according to him, “On the 19th of January, a Federal Government delegation, led by the Chief Of Staff to the President, which also included the Ministers of Defence and Information, the Chief of Defence staff, and the service chiefs, paid condolence visits to the Governor of Borno state, and Humanitarian agencies at the UN OCHA office in Maiduguri, where on behalf of Mr President, the message of condolences were delivered.

He then used the opportunity to appreciate the government as well as people of Borno state for their understanding over the mistaken air strike that led to the death of about 112 persons as stated by him.

Stating some of their achievements, the Army boss said: “On the 14th of January, troops recovered several items such as a General Purpose Machine gun, AK 47 rifles, 2,269 rounds of 7.62 meter ammunition, RPG bombs, among other equipment.

Five Boko Haram members were killed including two who were suicide bombers.

Also on January 23, troops were said to have attacked Borko Haram terrorists and nine of them were eventually killed.

Lafiya Dole Troops Celebrate Armed Forces Remembrance Day

Lafiya Dole Troops Celebrate Armed Forces Remembrance DayTroops fighting the counter insurgency war code-named Operation Lafiya Dole have celebrated the 2017 Armed Forces Remembrance Day Celebration with a thanksgiving to God.

Theatre Commander of the Operation Lafiya Dole, Major General Lucky Irabor and the acting General Officer Commanding the 7 Division, Brigadier General Victor Ezugwu led the soldiers in thanksgiving for the many successes recorded in the out-gone year.

The thanksgiving took place in Our Lady Queen of Nigeria Catholic Church in Maimalari Cantonment, Maiduguri as part of activities to mark the Armed Forces Remembrance Day Celebration.

During the homily the Chaplain of the parish, Reverend Father Otu, admonished worshippers to continue to reflect on “the reality of the country and uphold human dignity.”

“If you want to fight and protect the common man you must come with clean hands so that God will be pleased with you.” Otu stated.

He also pointed out the need to develop a national consciousness devoid of religious sentiments, sectionalism and other divisive vices adding that the armed forces is the last hope of the country.

National consciousness, according to the preacher, “will help us to have common good and when we try to work for common good there’s going to be peace and unity in our diversity”.

“We must re-evaluate and re-dedicate ourselves to God and to our country and remain focused even if we are not appreciated; the good lord who has called us to service will bless you; after all even Jesus Christ was not appreciated by all,” Reverend father Otu stated.

Troops Avert Bomb Attack In Maiduguri

Army, Boko Haram collaboratorsTroops of the Operation Lafiya Dole on Sunday morning averted the plans of a suicide bomber along Damboa road in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital.

Eye witnesses say the suicide bomber was sighted along Damboa road, the same place where an explosion occurred barely 24 hours ago.

Frightened motorists travelling to Damboa-Biu were forced to turn back due to confusion.

Channels Television’s reporter who was at the Bakassi IDP camp reports that the suspect fled towards the back fence of the camp, where five people were killed on Saturday, with men of the sector Nine and civilian JTF in hot pursuit of the assailant.

Security operatives had to cordon off the camp while IDPs who had secured permits to step out were forced to stay back.

Civilian JTF sources say the assailant was killed in the process before he could detonate the IED strapped on his body.
His corpse has also been detonated at the Maiduguri specialist hospital, according to sources.

Twin Explosion Kills Five In Maiduguri

On Saturday, about nine people died and 24 others injured after two loud explosions rocked Maiduguri in the morning.

The  blast occurred at the Bakassi camp for Internally Displaced Persons while the second went off at the NNPC station along Damboa road in Borno State, northeast Nigeria.

Troops Intercept Suicide Bomber In Madagali

Troops-of-the-african-UnionVigilant troops of Operation Lafiya Dole on Saturday morning intercepted and neutralized a male suicide bomber at Madagali, Adamawa State.

The suicide bomber was spotted by a vigilant duty guard, attempting to infiltrate troop’s forward defensive line, along Madagali-Limankara road.

He was gunned down by the vigilant guard as he failed to stop when halted.

The accurate shot also detonated the Improvised Explosive Device vest and was blown into pieces.

This is coming after the Nigerian Army carried out a clearance operation on remnants of Boko Haram terrorists in Yobe State, Northeast Nigeria.Troops, IDPs, Army, Monguno, Borno

A statement by the Army spokesman, Colonel Sani Usman, disclosed that the feat was made by troops of Operation Lafiya Dole in the early hours of Wednesday.

The operation followed activities of the terrorists around Jororo and Tombaeji villages in Geidam Local Government Area of Yobe State.

The fighting patrol team came into contact with some Boko Haram terrorists around Gajire village, during which there was a firefight that lasted for about 15 minutes.

“The gallant troops overpowered the terrorists and killed four of them and captured one alive.

“The victorious troops also recovered two General Purpose Machine Guns (GPMG), two AK-47 Rifles and 144 rounds of 7.62mm (Special) ammunition from the terrorists.

“In addition, they also recovered two KASEA branded motorcycles,” the statement said.

Colonel Usman noted that the troops have continued to patrol the general area in search of possible remnants of the Boko Haram terrorists that might be hibernating in the area.

“The ever vigilant troops of Operation Lafiya Dole have continued their routine operations maintaining vigilance, to prevent further actions by the Boko Haram terrorists in their respective areas of operations,” he said.

FG Concerned About Welfare of Soldiers

Army Troops Destroy Livestock Rustlers And Armed Bandits' Camps
The defence minister says such projects will boost the morale of the soldiers fighting Boko Haram

The Minister of Defence, Major General Mansur Dan Ali, says the welfare of officers and men of the Nigerian Armed Forces remains a key priority of President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration.

He stated this during the commissioning of a Mental Rehabilitation Centre and newly remodeled wards at the 44 Army Reference Hospital, Kaduna State.

The minister said the establishment of the centre and rehabilitation of the hospital is a significant milestone of the Nigerian Army’s quest to provide qualitative healthcare for troops and their families.

Speaking to reporters after a tour of the facility, the Defence Minister said the Nigerian government will sustain the collaboration it has with neigbouring West African countries in an effort to stop terrorism and other trans-border crimes in the region.

The project which commenced six months ago, is designed to serve as a referral facility for wounded soldiers fighting Boko Haram insurgents in the north east and other injured civilians.

The Chief of the Army Staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Buratai conducted the minister and other service chiefs round the facility.

Explaining the vision behind the remodeling of the hospital, Lt. Gen. Buratai says he believes that gaining the confidence of troops in terms of improving their welfare is key to winning the counter insurgency war.

The 44 Army Reference hospital currently serves as a base facility for troops of operation Lafiya Dole in the north east.

Defence authorities say the commissioned projects are among numerous others to be commissioned across the country as part the military’s resolve to take the health and welfare of its officers seriously.

Boko Haram Attacks ‘Operation Crack Down’ Troops At Izza

Boko HaramBoko Haram terrorists on Wednesday evening attacked Nigerian troops involved in the clearance and rescue operations in Sambisa forest nicknamed ‘Operation Crack Down’, while on harbour.

According to Acting Director, Army Public Relations, Colonel Sani Usman, the terrorists came in five Toyota Hilux vehicles mounted with Anti-Aircraft guns which they fired along with 81mm mortar.

The battle ready troops rose to the occasion and repelled the attack and pursued the terrorists as they withdrew in disarray towards the river line of Izza-Mainyakare axis.

The attack lasted for about 40 minutes without any casualty on Nigerian troops while an unconfirmed number of Boko Haram terrorists were killed. The troops recovered an 81mm mortar tube from the terrorists.

The Army says its troops have maintained highest level alertness and vigilance at the harbour area and they would further exploit and continue with the clearance operation.

COAS Visits ‘Operation Crack Down’ Troops

Crack DownThe Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Buratai has commended the 151 Battalion soldiers fighting insurgency under the ‘Operation Crack Down’.

The recently introduced Operation Crack Down is a component of the mother operation “Lafiya Dole”, designed to chase out the outlawed Boko Haram elements from the notorious Sambisa forest believed to be their stronghold.

General Officer Commanding the 7 Division of the Nigerian Army, Major General Victor Ezugwu, is leading the “Crack Down” troop in the Bama and Banki axis where the Army Chief.

The GOC engaged the COAS in a strategic meeting that lasted 30 minutes at the Division’s tactical headquarters in Bama before proceeding to Banki to address the troops.

“We are already inside the Sambisa forest and so far so good from the brief I have received from your GOC. This operation is very crucial and we need to continue to press hard to conclude the operation,” Buratai said.

According to Buratai, this is in the overall plan of the Operation Lafiya Dole and also part of the federal government’s plan to end the insurgency in northeast Nigeria.

“We are here today to say well done, Mr President is quite pleased with our operations (and) with what you’re doing, I want to tell you also that Nigerians are happy with you; we must crack them down and continue to push them until they are completely down.” Buratai told the soldiers.

The Army chief says Banki is tactically strategic and operationally important as it borders both the Cameroun and Chad republic and is also a major route for the insurgents linking to the northern and southern part of the state.

Operation Lafiya Dole Gets New Commander

Lafiya Dole
Outgoing Commander of Lafiya Dole, Major General Hassan Umar

Major General Leo Irabor has taken over as the Theatre Commander of the anti-terrorism war code name “Operation Lafiya Dole.”

Irabor replaces Major General Hassan Umaru who has been in command of the theatre of operations since January 2016.

General Irabor was the second in command, when the outgoing commander Major General Hassan Umar served in the command.

The new commander lauded the support of soldiers fighting on the frontline, pointing out that without their commitment the war against terrorism would not be won.

Umaru is assuming the role of Head of Training at the Army Headquarters, a position previously occupied by pioneer Theatre commander Yusha’u until his death last week.

The outgoing commander said that the new role still offered him the opportunity to participate in the counter-terrorism war in the northeast on a different platform.

He presented awards of appreciation to the Military operatives from Niger Republic and Britain and other partners for their contributions.