A middle-aged woman reportedly jumped into the lagoon in the Maza-Maza area of the state, a day after Dr. Allwell Orji plunged into the Lagos lagoon.
The woman was however lucky, as she was rescued by some local fishermen and divers in the area.
According to witnesses, the woman, dressed in a blouse and trousers was earlier seen walking aimlessly and when she got to the middle of the Maza-Maza bridge, she climbed the rail and plunged into the lagoon, but the fishermen dived in after her and she was rescued.
Although her details are yet to be ascertained, it was gathered that she was rushed to a nearby hospital by her rescuers.
The Lagos Police have said that they are unsure of the identity of the body recovered from the Lagos Lagoon, after confirming to Channels Television that the body of Dr. Allwell Orji who jumped into the Lagos Lagoon on Sunday had been recovered.
The Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Mr Fatai Owoseni had earlier claimed that Dr. Orji’s body was found by the Marine Police, at the Onikan end of the Lagoon.
Road Safety 2016 reports say approximately 223 lives, have been lost in Ogun state alone, due to a number of reasons, one of which Data Analyst, Babajide Ogunsanwo identifies as abuse of alcohol by drivers.
It’s been a week of horrible road movement, following the ongoing construction and subsequently a ghastly accident that occurred along the Lagos-Ibadan expressway.
Although rescue efforts were promptly completed by emergency officers such as men of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, (LASEMA), and Federal Road Safety Commission, (FRSC), commutters have had to suffer long hours in a gridlock in the preceding days.
Data analyst, Babajide ogunsawo, analyzing the road infrastructure and “how we got ourselves here” described the gridlock as “extremely horrible”.
He recalled that five and a half decades ago, Nigeria’s road infrastructure, and the network around the country was 65 thousand kilometres but, “today it’s more than double that amount – population has more than quadrupled”.
“At the start of this new millennium, the total estimated vehicles on Nigerian roads was 1.3 million, now its seven times what it was about 16 years ago.
“Population has significantly grown as well as number of vehicles on the roads” he added.
He then stated that a logical solution would be to increase the capacity of the roads, by increasing the number of lanes and improving maintenance of roads.
However, according to him, evidence based on several global studies, shows that when countries increase the capacity of their roads, they get more cars to fill in those roads.
“Hence, we need to realise that even though we have a transportation problem, the transportation solution may not necessarily get us out of the problem.
Mr Ogunsanwo stated that although the government makes plans based on the population figures, what they are not doing right is looking through the same perspective.
He said the Commissioner of Health in Lagos as at 2015, Dr Jide Idris, revealed something that several analysts call the “greatest information in Lagos in the last decade”.
He said although it was not about transportation, it has great significance on our road infrastructure.
According to him, Mr Idris and his team had conducted a survey among bus drivers in Lagos, and it showed that 80% of bus drivers in Lagos, were either on drugs or alcohol.
The information analyst said Lagos state has the biggest economy in the country, as measured by GDP, while also recalling that the FRSC Marshall had on Thursday, stated that road transportation was the most important means that leads people to their various destination.
Analysing all the information, he came to a conclusion that “bus drivers in Lagos indeed are leaders because they are the ones that take a lot of families to their various destination.
“However, if majority of these drivers are driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, it only means that most of the leaders don’t know where they are going”.
Furthermore, he stated that the National Bureau of Statistics, in their last consumption reports said most Nigerian families spend more on alcohol and entertainment than on education.
Mr Ogunsanwo then posited that when there is road congestion, “we need to connect these dots so we can clearly see where the problem comes from” in order to apply necessary solutions.
The Lagos State Government will formally welcome President Muhammadu Buhari on Monday, May 23, on a two-day working visit to the state.
It will be President Buhari’s first official visit to the state since he assumed office about a year ago.
A statement by the Lagos State Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr Steve Ayorinde, stated that this is the first time in about 15 years, a sitting President would be visiting the state on a working visit.
Mr Ayorinde said that was a testimony to the landmark achievements of Governor Akinwunmi Ambode in the last one year and the good working relationship between Lagos State and the Federal Government.
He added that the President during the visit, would formally commission the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) Rescue Unit in Cappa Oshodi, built by the state government to ensure prompt and swift response to emergency situations in the state.
The Commissioner said President Buhari would thereafter, commission the newly constructed Ago Palace Way in Okota, Isolo after which he would pay homage to the Oba of Lagos, Oba Babatunde Rilwanu Aremu Akiolu.
He stated further that the President would later in the day be hosted to a reception rally by the state government at the Tafawa Balewa Square (TBS) in Lagos, where he would also commission and hand over security equipment and vehicles contributed by the Governor Ambode led administration to securities agencies to beef up security in the state.
The statement added that activities for the first day of the President’s visit would be rounded up with a State Banquet in his honour at the Eko Hotels and Suites, Victoria Island.
The President would on Tuesday, participate as the Special Guest of Honour at a breakfast session with Corporate Lagos to be hosted by Governor Ambode at the Lagos State House in Marina after which he would have a short session with the public service at the State House in Alausa-Ikeja.
The Commissioner quoted Governor Ambode as being joyous over this landmark presidential visit to Lagos State that contributed so much to his emergence as the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
He added that Lagosians (the state residents) were looking forward with excitement to receiving the President, just as he urged them to bear with law enforcement agents and traffic control authorities, who would effect road diversions in some of the routes that the President motorcade would pass through during the visit.
Lagos State Governor, Akinwunmi Ambode, on Monday wielded the big stick as he sacked the General Manager of the Lagos State Building Control Agency, Mr Adeigbe Olusola, over the Lekki Gardens building collapse.
The Governor’s decision followed an investigation indicting the Genetral Manager for negligence in the Lekki Gardens building collapse.
Three other senior officials were also sanctioned.
The Governor warned other public officials, private building owners, contractors to always adhere to building plans and approval on their structural drawings during construction.
Thirty-one persons have now been confirmed dead in the building collapse which occurred in the Lekki area of Lagos State on Tuesday, even as rescue operations are continuing at the site of the incident.
The building, which was under construction, collapsed at Chisco Bus Stop in Lekki Phase One area of Lagos State in south western Nigeria.
The General Manager of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, Mr Michael Akindele, told Channels Television that a total of 13 people had been rescued from the scene.
“We have been able to rescue 13 people alive till date and as I speak with you, we have recovered 31 dead bodies of which one is an infant, a male, and a woman while others are men.
“Search and rescue is still ongoing,” he said.
Mr Akindele also said that the cause of the building collapse was yet to be ascertained.
“While it came down is not the issue now. The major challenge is for us to rescue as many people as possible at this site while relevant agencies will look at the issues during investigation.
“Definitely the building have been distressed and it is on the basis that it is distressed that it collapsed,” he told reporters at the scene of the incident.
Spokesman for the National Emergency Management Agency, (NEMA), South-west zone, Ibrahim Farinloye, earlier confirmed the figures on Tuesday.
The NEMA official told Channels Television that the incident happened around 4:10am local time.
“We received an alert around 4:20am about the building collapse and immediately we mobilised resources and personnel to move in there.
“As at now, we have recovered four persons dead, six rescued alive,” he said earlier in the day.
Mr Farinloye said that the persons affected may be workers at the construction site.
Taking part in the rescue operation are Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, Lagos State Building Control Agency, Police and personnel of the Civil Defence.
About three excavators are also being used by NEMA in the rescue effort.
Many anxious relatives are besieging the OR Tambo International Airport, Johannesburg, hoping to see their loved ones return safely from Lagos after the Synagogue church building collapse last Friday.
However, for some it is a very frustrating wait as they complain that they are not getting any information about what has happened to them.
Channels Television Correspondent in South Africa, who was at the airport in Johannesburg early Thursday morning, spoke to some relatives who complained bitterly.
A team of Rescue Response experts from South Africa have joined the Nigerian Government efforts to manage the crisis.
SA officials say 67 South Africans died in the incident and many still unaccounted for.
Meanwhile, back in Nigeria, rescue operation at the site of the collapsed 6-storey guest house belonging to the Synagogue Church of All Nations has ended on Thursday.
A combined team of the National and the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency told journalists that there was no more trace of dead victims.
They revealed that the second phase of data collation and identification of victims has commenced.
The total final death figures released by the agencies is put at 80 with 131 survivors.
South African President, Jacob Zuma , said at least 67 South Africans died in the Friday’s accident at the Synagogue Church of All Nations in Lagos and has described it as one of the worst tragedies in South Africa’s recent history.
The collapse occurred when three extra storeys were being added to the existing two of a guest house in the church compound.
Led by the charismatic Prophet T.B. Joshua, the pentecostal church attracts a global following of Christians who believe Joshua is able to perform miracles including curing the ill and raising the dead.
I am greatly saddened to announce that 67 South Africans died and scores of others sustained injuries, after a building at the Synagogue Church of All Nations collapsed on Friday, 12 September 2014, in Lagos, in the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
This is a particularly difficult time for South Africa. Not in the recent history of our country have we had this large number of our people die in one incident outside the country.
Our thoughts are with the families, friends and colleagues that have lost their loved ones in this heart-breaking tragedy. The whole nation shares the pain of the mothers, fathers, daughters and sons who have lost their loved ones. We are all in grief.
As we mourn this sudden and tragic death of our fellow compatriots, I have directed the relevant Government departments and entities to act with the utmost urgency to ensure that we facilitate the movement of relevant family members to Nigeria to identify the bodies of their loved ones and to ensure that we repatriate the remains as soon as possible under the circumstances.
I would like to take this opportunity also to thank all family members and friends who have provided information to Government, which information has assisted the South African High Commission in Nigeria in its efforts to locate our fellow citizens.
I would also like to commend all affected families for their patience and resolve during this very painful period.
On behalf of the Government and the people of South Africa, I would like to thank the Government of the Federal Republic of Nigeria for their support during this difficult time. We also send our sincere condolences to the people of Nigeria and all other nations affected by this tragedy.
I would like to assure all affected families that the Government will provide all the necessary support.
Government will keep the public informed of developments around this tragedy.
May the souls of the departed compatriots rest in peace.
The death toll of the collapsed building in the premises of the Synagogue Church of All Nations in Lagos has risen to 60, as a 45 year old woman was rescued alive from the debris after four days.
Information provided by the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) showed that 131 persons have been rescued from the rubble.
The woman, whose nationality has not been revealed, was found alive at about 2:00am with only minor injuries.
Meanwhile, the standard organisation of Nigeria has begun investigation into the materials used for the construction of the building, with iron rods and sand stones collected for laboratory test.
Earlier report had put the death toll at 45.
The building which was under construction before it collapsed on Friday afternoon, was also being used as a guest house for church members and visitors, especially foreigners.
As at the time of the collapse, people were living in the building.
An investigative panel would be set up as soon as the rescue and recovery phase is over, including the GM of LASEMA, the Ministry of Works, the Ministry of Physical Planning, Ministry of Health, and all other stakeholders.
The reported feud between the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) and National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) was confirmed by the South Zonal Coordinator of NEMA, Iyola Akande, who warns that “the clash is a thing that is booming and we need to nip in the bud before it escalates.”
Akande was a guest on Channels Television’s breakfast programme, Sunrise Daily, where he revelaed that officials of his agency have been repeatedly chased away from emergency scenes in Lagos by LASEMA officials and some NEMA officials were allegedly arrested on instruction of LASEMA officials at the site of a collapsed building.
This according to him, has occurred on more than four occasions in recent times as the state grapples with increasing building collapses.
He also stated that the national agency recently received a letter from the Lagos state commissioner for special duties, Dr. Wale Ahmed, asking them not to go to emergency scenes unless invited.
The NEMA Zonal coordinator questioned a claim by the Director General of LASEMA, Dr. Femi Oke-Osanyintolu that the national emergency agency are “not supposed to be at emergency scenes except when called upon by LASEMA.”
He also disagreed with the notion that the call to NEMA will be made when “they (LASEMA) are overwhelmed”, arguing that by the law, NEMA should be the primary respondent at all emergency scenes.
He referred to the recent plane crash in a San Francisco airport where the US national and state emergency agencies combined efforts to rescue passengers on board the Asian Airlines flight 214 aircraft, noting that such collaboration is what NEMA and LASEMA should be doing to addresss emergency situations and save lives.
Quoting from the Acts establishing both agencies, Akande asked what “experience has LASEMA got that will determine that NEMA should not be involved in its activities?”
The National Emergency Management Agency was established in 1999 while the state agency was launched in 2008.
We Will Call NEMA When We Need Them
In his reaction, the General Manager of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), Femi Osanyintolu, stated that NEMA can only be a secondary respondent at emergency situations not a primary respondent because the state and local emergency agencies are closer to the people and can be quickly deployed to the emergency scene to save lives.
He argues that NEMA can only be the first respondent in a situation where the state and local emergency agencies are not available.
Dr Osanyintolu is reported to have written a letter to NEMA in Lagos state asking the national emergency agency not to report to emergency scenes unless invited.
He defended the letter saying that is the protocol of professional emergency management because “we do not want our emergency scenes jampacked.”
“When we need them (NEMA), we will call them”, “that is the protocol” he affirmed.
“We are not competing; communication is the nucleus of emergency management and we need to talk more.”