Court Convicts 14 Foreigners For Illegal Dealing In Petroleum Products

CourtThe Federal High Court sitting in Lagos has convicted 14 foreigners for dealing in petroleum products in Nigeria without lawful authority.

Justice Ibrahim Buba on Friday, found them guilty of dealing in 1,738.087 metric tons of petroleum product  without lawful authority or licence as alleged by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

In the judgment, Justice Buba held that he was satisfied that the prosecution led by Rotimi Oyedepo had proved its case against the defendants beyond reasonable doubts.

The judge then sentenced 11 out of the 14 convicted foreigners to two years imprisonment each with an option to a pay a fine of 5 million Naira each on the five counts levelled against them.

The Court also said that the sentence would run from last year March when they were apprehended by the Nigerian Navy and handed over to the EFCC.

Three of the foreigners, who had jumped bail and absconded, were sentenced to five years imprisonment without an option of fine.

The three convicts who jumped bail are Russians.

The judge convicted and sentenced them in absentia and issued a warrant for their arrest, emphasising that their jail term would commence on whatever day they would be re-arrested.

The judge also ordered the forfeiture of the petroleum products and their vessel to the Federal Government.

He ordered the two companies convicted alongside the foreigners to pay a 5 million Naira fine on each of the five counts levelled against them.

The EFCC had on June 10, 2015 arraigned the 14 convicts on four counts before Justice Buba.

The charge was later amended and the counts increased to five.

The convicts were arraigned alongside their vessel – MT Anuket Emerald, and two companies – Monjasa DMCC and Glencore Energy UK Limited.

Their names, as listed on the charge sheet, are: Artur Pakhladzhian, Sergo Abbgarian, Vasily Shkundich, Vitaliy Bilours, Hlarion Regipor, Laguta Oleksiy and Cadavis Gerarado.

Others are: Kretov Andry, Badurian Benjamin, Chepikov Olksan, Naranjo Antero, Patro Christian, Alcayde Joel and Caratiquit Beyan.

They were identified as citizens of Russia, Ukraine, Philippines and Japan.

The prosecutor, Mr Oyedepo, had told the court that the men were handed over to the EFCC by the Nigerian Navy which on March 27, 2015 intercepted them with their vessel, MT Anuket Emerald, loaded with crude oil estimated at 1,738.087 metric tons.

The foreigners were equally said to have been found in unlawful possession of 1,500 metric tons of Automated Gas Oil as well as 3,035 metric tons of Low Pour Fuel Oil.

They had pleaded not guilty and were granted bail in the sum of 50 million Naira each, which was guaranteed by Zenith Bank Plc.

Upon the disappearance of the three Russians, the court had subsequently ordered Zenith Bank to forfeit 150 million Naira to the Federal Government.

To prove the allegations against the convicts, Mr Oyedepo called seven witnesses, while the defence counsel, Mr Babajide Koku (SAN), called three witnesses.

In his judgment, Justice Buba said he was satisfied that the prosecution proved its case against the defendants beyond reasonable doubts, adding that he had no difficulty in convicting them on all the five counts preferred against them.

Upon their conviction, the defence counsel, Koku, urged the court to temper justice with mercy, saying the convicts were young men in their prime, who had no previous records of conviction.

Koku said the 11 convicts, who were in court, were only employees carrying out the instruction of their employer and were not privy to the deal.

“We plead for mercy, My Lord,  Abraham Lincoln said, ‘I have always found that mercy bears richer fruits than strict justice.’ The convicts are young men in the prime of their lives. They have no family ties in Nigeria. In fact, the convicts here are not the ones in control of the ship. They can at best be described as the laymen of the crew,” Koku said.

Quoting James 2:3 from the Bible and making reference to the Quran, Koku urged the judge to allow mercy to triumph over judgment.

On his own part, Oyedepo said that the EFCC had found no previous conviction record on the convicts.

He urged the judge to “invoke the spirit behind Section 1(17) of the Miscellaneous Offences Act,” in sentencing them.

Alleged Foreign Oil Thieves Seek To Dismiss Charges

oil bunkering thieves14 foreigners alleged to be involved in illegal oil bunkering on Wednesday asked Justice Ibrahim Buba of the Federal High Court, Lagos, to dismiss the charges against them.

Through their counsel, Babajide Koku SAN, the accused persons filed an application challenging the jurisdiction of the court to hear the charges.

The foreigners contended that they were arrested on international waters which were not within Nigeria’s territorial waters.

They also challenged the charge insisting that it disclosed no offense against them.

The foreigners made up of eight Filipinos: Cadavis Gerardo, Baduria Benjamin, Regidor Hilarion, Naranjo Allan Antero, Patero Christian, Alkyde Joel, Caratiquit Micheal Bryan, Ciudad Prudencio, Cabanal Anecito, Cabuquin Andres and Podutan Eduardo, with a Georgian – Agbarian Sergoand, three Russians: Pakhladzhian Artur, Kretov Andrey and Shkundich Vasily and three Ukrainians: Laguta Oleksiy, Chepikov Oleksandr and Bilous Vitalli, also claim that they were not involved in any illegal activity, challenging the powers of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to prosecute them without first seeking and obtaining the consent of the Attorney General of the Federation.

However, the EFCC has opposed the application, insisting that it is premature and wants the court to proceed to trial and make a ruling on the application when judgment is delivered on the case.

The commission through its lawyer, Rotimi Oyedepo, also insisted that having charged the foreigners under the Miscellanous Offences Act for illegal dealing in petroleum products for which they had no license, they did not need the consent of the Attorney General of the Federation to institute the criminal action against the accused persons.

Justice Ibrahim Buba adjourned till Thursday, June 18 to rule on whether to proceed with the trial of the case.