Landmines Kill Eight In Borno Community

 

 

Eight people have been reportedly killed by landmines in Gwoza local government area of Borno State.

Sources say the victims drove over the land mines around Warabe village barely fifteen kilometers away from Gwoza local government headquarters.

The vehicle, part of a civilian convoy under military escort, veered off the road in an attempt to overtake another vehicle when it hit the device.

Military and civilian militia sources blamed Boko Haram jihadists for planting the mine, underlying the persistent threat to civilians in the remote region.

“The vehicle exploded and all the eight people inside were killed,” said a military officer who talked to AFP.

“Seven more people from the other vehicle were injured from the explosion.”

READ ALSO: Suspected Boko Haram Terrorists Attack Michika Town In Adamawa

The incident happened at about 10:00am at Warabe village, some 15 kilometres (nearly 10 miles) from the town of Gwoza, said civilian militia leader Umar Ari.

The convoy had left Gwoza and was heading to Pulka some 20 kilometres away on the border with Cameroon he added.

The Boko Haram faction loyal to its long-time leader Abubakar Shekau is known to be active in the area, which is some 130 km southeast of the Borno state capital, Maiduguri.

In 2014 the jihadists seized Gwoza, which they renamed “Darul Hikma” (“House of Wisdom” in Arabic), and declared it the headquarters of their short-lived caliphate.

Although Nigerian troops later reclaimed the town, the group still launches sporadic attacks on troops and civilians.

Last month three people were injured and a mosque was partially damaged when grenades were fired into Gwoza from a hilltop outside the town, security sources said.

ECOWAS Court Awards N88bn Damages Against FG Over Civil War Landmines

Committee Commends ECOWAS For Restoring Democracy In Gambia

The ECOWAS Court of Justice has awarded N88 billion damages against the Federal Government for its failure to clear landmines and remains of explosives in the aftermath of the civil war in the South Eastern part of the country.

In a consent judgment delivered by Justice Chijioke Nwoke on Tuesday, the court ordered the Federal Government to commence clearing and evacuation of the aftermath of the civil war within 45 days.

Hundreds of landmine victims had dragged the Federal Government before the ECOWAS Court in 2012, asking for an order for the removal of remnants of war instruments stockpiled in 11 states of the South East, South South and NorthCentral.

They had alleged that the failure of the government to clear the landmines and abandoned explosives at the civil war sites amounted to negligence and a breach of their fundamental rights.

The plaintiffs had claimed N100bn as compensatory and general damages from the Federal Government.

Reps Seek Clearance Of Landmines In North East

landminesThe House of Representatives has urged the Executive to clear the local government areas recently recovered from insurgents of landmines and the wreckage of military hardware left behind after the conflict.

This is in a bid to ensure the safety of people.

Moving the motion, Adamu Kamala, said that this was necessary as most of the people displaced as a result of the conflict had started returning to their homes.

He acknowledged the military’s major gains in its fight against insurgency in the northeast but warned that danger still lurks around for the residents as landmines litter the area.

The motion also called on the government to assist the victims and their families who have been affected by landmine explosions.

The motion was passed and referred to the Committees on Defence and Army.