Card Reader: INEC Should Train Adhoc Staff Better – Ambode Campaign Org.

Card readerThe Director, Ambode Campaign Organisation, Lateef Raji, has urged the Independent National Electoral Commission to train the adhoc staff handling the elections, to avoid a repeat of the issues encountered with the card readers during the presidential elections.

He said that the failure of the card reader during President Goodluck Jonathan’s accreditation was an evidence that INEC had to sort out the issues of the card readers before the governorship elections scheduled to hold on Saturday, April 11.

Speaking as a guest on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily, Mr. Raji also questioned the wisdom in INEC’s decision that elections would continue the day after, in places where they are not concluded, wondering how they would be able to prevent people from voting twice.

Mr. Raji noted that people could easily clean off the voting ink which would have been the evidence that they had already voted.

He, therefore, called on INEC to prevent voting from extending into the day after by distributing materials early to enable accreditation end on time, in order for voting to also commence on time.

He also pointed out that his party (APC) did not make use of plane sheets for manual accreditation. Using his polling unit as example, he explained that the process went on properly asides for cases where people’s fingerprints were not captured, and this was where the use of plane sheets came into play.

Mr Raji refused to comment on the statement by the Oba of Lagos, Oba Rilwan Akiolu, threatening Igbos in Lagos to vote for the governorship candidate of the APC, Akinwumi Ambode.

 

Lagos Debunks Insinuations To Review Traffic Law On Okada Operation

OkadaThe Lagos State Government has, on Sunday, debunked insinuations, especially in the social media, of a plan to review the State’s Road Traffic Law 2012 as it concerns operations of commercial motorcycles (Okada).

The Government says it has “no intention of reversing itself on the matter as the Law was made in response to popular public demand.”

In a statement signed by the Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Mr. Lateef Raji, the Government emphasized that it has no plans, either now on in the near future, to reverse itself on the matter of Okada operation in the State pointing out that by that decision, considerable gains have been made in the area of protection of life and property in the State.

Noting that the decision to regulate Okada operation was not a unilateral one, the Government maintained that it acted in response to the popular demand of the general public who were at the receiving end of the fatalities of commercial motorcycles’ daily operations.

According to the statement, an average of 16 deaths and 646 injured patients were being recorded at the State’s secondary and tertiary hospitals every month as a result of motorcycle related serious accidents, but by March 2014, the number had dropped to only one to two deaths and less than 100 injured victims of Okada accidents a month.

“No doubt, we have all the reasons to thump our chest that we have been responsive and responsible in the discharge of our duty to the people of Lagos”, the Government said, adding that no matter what the cynics think or say, Lagos State Government was the only government that has given recognition to the use of motorcycle as a means of commercial transportation through the instrument of the law and regulations meant to protect the riders and the generality of the citizenry.

The statement further read, “The reason and motive of the sponsors of this unpopular agenda is obviously to set the stage for roguish conduct in the 2015 election. Their action is not altruistic but sinister. Their subtle and malicious campaign is to aid their sinister plots of fomenting trouble and snatching ballot boxes with the use of Okada during the forthcoming General Election. Such evil plans will have no place in Lagos.”

The Government thanked the general public for their concern over the issue, most especially the “law-abiding Okada riders who appreciate that we are more concerned with their safety and well-being than those who are trying to incite them against the law,” giving the assurance that it would continue to work for the safety of Lagosians.

It listed provisions to include those that restrict Okada operators from certain roads, those that compel them to always wear crash elements, not ride with more than one passenger, not carry a child below the age of 12, not to carry a pregnant woman or a passenger who is also bearing a load on his head while riding, among other offenses.

“All these are obviously for the safety of all”, the Government noted, directing that all incidents of wrongful arrest or oppression by law enforcement agencies should be promptly reported, individually or through union executives, to the Attorney-General’s Office or Office of the Public Defender for prompt action.

Ebola: Lagos Govt. Confirms Death Of Suspected Liberian Carrier

Ebola Lagos Media BriefingThe Lagos State Government on Friday confirmed that the Liberian native, who was admitted in a private hospital in Lagos over a reported case of Ebola disease, passed away on Thursday night.

Addressing a Press Conference on the development at the Bagauda Kaltho Press Centre, Alausa, the Commissioner for Health, Dr Jide Idris, said that the ministry had started collaborating with all other agencies to treat the body and ensure that it is properly disposed.

He added that because the victim was a foreign national, certain diplomatic steps have to be taken, which includes contacting the Liberian Embassy and ensuring the sanitization of the hospital where the victim was hospitalized before his death.

Dr Idris also stated that the ministry was in contact with the hospital to ensure that the corpse of the victim is sanitized and that the virus is killed to prevent it from spreading.

He also said that steps were being taken by the ministry in collaboration with federal agencies to man all the border points in the state towards preventing any case of anyone with suspected symptoms coming into the state.

The Commissioner explained that the ministry was also engaged in contact tracing with all those whom the victim came into contact with before his death and that the manifest of the aircraft which brought him to Lagos has been obtained by the ministry.

He reiterated that all of such people would be questioned and observed in the next 21 days to ascertain their state of health, adding that the State Government would also set up a treatment centre in case of any other reported case of the Ebola disease in the state.

He maintained that the initial test carried out on the victim at Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH) has confirmed that the man contracted Ebola but that the result of a confirmatory test was still being awaited from Dakar, Senegal to conclude the tests.

In addition, the Special Adviser on Public Health, Dr Yewande Adesina, cautioned members of the general public to desist from sending panicky messages via their phones and on social media about the issue.

She stressed that the State Government was on top of the situation, and this explains the reason why there had been media briefings periodically on developments about the case since it broke.

Additionally, the Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr Lateef Ibirogba, said that the residents of the state should go about their lawful businesses, with the highest assurances that effective health measures have been put in place to guard against the spread of the disease from any source.

Also present at the briefing were the Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Mr. Lateef Raji and Permanent Secretary, Primary Health Care Board, Dr Oguntimehin.

A health facility in Lagos reported to the Ministry of Health in the state about the admission of a 40-year-old Liberian working for a West African organization in Monrovia that arrived Lagos on a flight from Monrovia via Lome, Togo on Sunday July 20, 2014 at 4PM on suspicion of suffering from the Ebola Virus.

LASG Dissociates Self From Facebook Mail Scam

The Lagos State Government Monday alerted the general public to be wary of an e-mail on a Facebook account fraudulently set up under the name of “Babatunde Fashola” requesting unsuspecting members of the public to pay N2,700 to a GT Bank account 0122895107 as application form fee for employment.

The GT Bank account is opened in the name of one Onyebe  Earnest who, according to the government, has been sending bulk SMS with the name “CSC LAGOS” to advise the public on the GTB account number into which the money should be paid.

In a statement signed by the Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Mr. Lateef Raji, the State Government dissociated itself from the message, warning the general public to regard such SMS as false and misleading.

The Government, which further clarified that employment processes in the Civil Service Commission does not require the payment of any fee, maintained that it has the responsibility to protect the interest of the citizens and would take every legitimate action to ensure that those behind the scam are apprehended and brought to book.

Lagos Journalists protest at government house over assault

Members of the Nigerian Union of Journalists on Thursday staged a peaceful protest at the Lagos State government house Ikeja, to protest the constant harassment and brutality rendered on journalists in the state.

The protesting journalists from various media houses were disappointed at the fact that they didn’t meet the governor in the office, as he was reported to be in Saudi Arabia.

Some officials of the Lagos council of the NUJ, led the peaceful protest which started from Ladi Lawal Press Centre, Alausa, to the office of the governor.

Journalists had stormed the meeting venue as early as 8.am and the protest was to begin at 10.am
Singing songs of solidarity as they matched to the governor’s office, the journalists blocked the roads to avoid motorist from passing.

Getting to the governor’s office, the security personnel told them the governor was not around, the protesters insisted on seeing a representative.

After 40 minutes of waiting under the sun, the Special Adviser to the Governor on Information and Strategy, Lateef Raji, came to attend to the resolute journalists.

He explained that the governor was not available to attend to them as he had embarked on the Lesser Hajj in Saudi Arabia.

He however apologized for keeping them for so long and also for the ill-treatment on the two journalists Benedict Uwalaka and Tunde Ogundeyi, saying that the government could not fold its hands and watch law-abiding citizens brutalized by overzealous persons, assuring that the perpetrators would face the music.

He, however, charged the media to carry on their duties and responsibilities without fear, as he assured of government’s support to protect citizens from needless assault from any member of the society.