Shell Hit With Dutch Climate Change Lawsuit

 

Climate marchers handed in a lawsuit to Shell’s headquarters in the Netherlands on Friday aimed at forcing the oil giant to meet targets in the Paris accord.

Dozens of chanting activists went to the Anglo-Dutch firm’s base in The Hague, where they delivered a legal summons with a court date set for April 17.

Shell greeted the protesters with coffee from an electric drinks van. It said that while it “shares concerns about the climate” it “believes in a solution outside the courtroom.”

“This is a unique case,” Roger Cox, the lawyer for Dutch climate group Milieudefensie, told AFP.

“We are taking Shell to court because it’s not keeping to the aims of the Paris climate agreements. This way we are trying to prevent huge damage.”

The environmental groups say some 17,200 people have registered as co-complainants in the case, which Cox said would be the first of its kind.

Other groups involved in the case include ActionAid Netherlands, Both Ends, Fossielvrij NL, Greenpeace NL and Young Friends of the Earth NL.

The protesters carried banners with slogans such as “We Shell overcome — eventually” and red posters saying “Shell is as green as this poster.”

They also mounted a giant version of the summons with the signatures of the thousands of plaintiffs at Shell’s headquarters near the city centre.

Shell Netherlands CEO Marjan van Loon addressed the protesters outside the building, saying that fighting climate change was a “team sport” , the company said in a Twitter post with a photo.

“I would like to answer every finger, whether it is an index finger or a middle finger, with an outstretched hand,” it quoted her as saying.

 ‘Expose Shell’ 

In a summary of the 250-page document handed over to Shell, the groups said that under Dutch law Shell was unlawfully endangering peoples’ lives by not acting to prevent global warming.

“Internal and external documents show that Shell has known about climate change at least since the 1950s and has been aware of its large-scale and serious consequences at least since 1986,” it said.

“Although Shell knew, it has not taken any serious steps to minimise its share in climate change,” the document added.

Cox said that unlike previous cases which sought financial compensation for the effects of climate change, this one involves asking the judge to order Shell to ensure its activities have zero per cent carbon dioxide emissions by 2050.

Shell is responsible for 1.7 per cent of all greenhouse gas emissions between 1988-2015, according to a peer-reviewed study of the 100 most polluting companies released two years ago.

It is also among five oil and gas majors that have spent more than $1 billion on lobbying against climate legislation since the Paris deal.

Shell’s plans for tackling climate change are “not consistent with the Paris goals”, said Harjeet Singh, who heads global climate activities at ActionAid.

“We need to expose Shell on this and in fact what it has been doing all this while is hiding and distorting facts and lobbying against climate policy,” Singh told AFP.

Climate change is a pressing issue in the Netherlands, where at least a third of the country lies below sea level.

The Dutch government was ordered by a court last year to slash greenhouse gases by at least 25 per cent by 2020, following a legal challenge by another environmental group.

Thousands of Dutch students have rallied in Amsterdam and The Hague in recent weeks, urging the government to take action, with Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte meeting the group’s leaders.

AFP

Google Sued For Unwanted Tracking Of Phone Locations

File photo

 

A lawsuit filed in a federal court has accused Google of invading people’s privacy by tracking the whereabouts of smartphones users despite “location history” settings being turned off.

The suit filed on Friday by a California man seeks unspecified damages along with class-action status to represent all US iPhone or Android smartphone users who turned off location history in order not to have their movements logged by Google.

“Google expressly represented to users of its operating system and apps that the activation of certain settings will prevent the tracking of users’ geolocations,” the lawsuit read.

“This representation was false.”

The suit accuses Google of violating privacy law, and cites a news report last week confirmed by university researchers.

Google did not respond to a request for comment.

After the report, Alphabet-owned Google modified its support page to read that turning off location history off “does not affect other location services on your device, like Google Location Services and Find My Device.”

Location data may also be tracked for use in other services such as maps or search, the support page indicated.

The page had previously indicated that turning location history off meant places visited were not stored by Google.

The Electronic Privacy Information Center, a non-profit public interest group, said it has sent a letter to the US Federal Trade Commission to look into whether Google has violated a 2011 consent order.

“Google’s subsequent changes to its policy, after it has already obtained location data on Internet users, fails to comply with the 2011 order,” Epic quoted its letter as stating.

AFP

Trump Slams ‘Ridiculous’ Lawsuit Against Family Foundation

US President Donald Trump marks Memorial Day with a speech at Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, Virginia, on May 28, 2018. JIM WATSON / AFP

 

President Donald Trump Thursday dismissed as “ridiculous” a lawsuit filed by the state of New York alleging illegal conduct at his family foundation and vowed to fight back.

“I won’t settle this case!” tweeted the US president, accusing “sleazy New York Democrats” of “doing everything they can to sue me.”

AFP

Trump Accused Of Misusing Foundation Funds For Personal Ends

The United States President, Donald Trump in Washington, DC.                                Mike Theiler / AFP

 

United States President, Donald Trump, has been accused of misusing foundation funds for personal ends.

This comes as the New York State announced a lawsuit Thursday against President Donald Trump, his sons and daughter over alleged “persistent illegal conduct” at their family foundation for more than a decade.

The lawsuit accused the Donald J. Trump foundation of “extensive unlawful political coordination with the Trump presidential campaign, repeated and willful self-dealing transactions to benefit Mr. Trump’s personal and business interests, and violations of basic legal obligations for non-profit foundations.”

The suit seeks restitution of $2.8 million and the shutdown of the foundation, as well as a 10-year ban on Trump serving on the board of any other New York charity.

Details Shortly..

AFP

Pop Star Chris Brown Named In Sex Assault Lawsuit

This file photo taken on June 26, 2015 shows singer Chris Brown performing during a free concert in Champ de Mars, downtown Port-au-Prince, Haiti. Hector RETAMAL / AFP

 

A Los Angeles woman filed a lawsuit on Wednesday against Chris Brown and a fellow rapper, alleging she was repeatedly raped and sexually assaulted at Brown’s home during a drug- and alcohol-fueled party last year.

The woman, identified only as Jane Doe, said she was lured to the singer’s house following a concert at a nightclub on February 23, 2017 and was raped several times by Lowell Grissom, who performs under the name Young Lo.

She also alleges that another unidentified woman at the party assaulted her, forcing her into performing oral sex.

The assault was all the more gruesome, the lawsuit alleges, as the attacker — identified as Doe X — was menstruating at the time.

“This is one of the most horrific cases involving alleged sexual assault that I have ever seen,” Gloria Allred, one of three lawyers representing the woman, said in a statement.

“Our client, Jane Doe, has been severely traumatized by what she was forced to suffer.”

According to the lawsuit, following a concert at 1 Oak club in West Hollywood, the plaintiff and her roommate went to an after party where they met Grissom and Brown and had their phones confiscated.

The suit says that the plaintiff later ended up at Brown’s home as she was told by Grissom she could retrieve her cell phone at that location, where the party was continuing.

“Our client alleges … she was forced to go to Brown’s home because she perceived that she would only be able to retrieve her phone there,” Allred said.

The lawsuit said that the 29-year-old rapper provided alcohol and drugs, including cocaine, ecstasy and marijuana, at his home.

He also gave each female guest a clear capsule filled with white powder and instructed them to take it to have a “good time,” the suit alleges, adding that the plaintiff refused to take the drug.

– ‘Wants justice for herself’ –

The complaint says that at one point, the plaintiff was led to a bedroom where several women were having sex with Grissom and Brown.

“Plaintiff refused to undress and made it clear that she did not want to engage in any sexual activity with anyone,” according to the document.

It said that the plaintiff was subsequently repeatedly raped by Grissom and assaulted by Doe X. She was later allowed to leave the room by Doe X, who instructed her to take a shower.

“Plaintiff looked in the mirror and was horrified to see that she was covered in Doe X’s blood because Doe X had been menstruating,” the suit states.

It said the victim eventually was allowed to call a ride-sharing service and went to a rape treatment center and to the police where she reported the assaults.

“She filed this lawsuit because she wants justice for herself, but she also wants to warn other young women about the potential danger to themselves if they have their phone taken away and if they go to Chris Brown’s house,” Allred said.

Brown and Grissom’s publicists could not be immediately reached for comment.

Contacted by AFP, Los Angeles police said there was “no open investigation at this time regarding Chris Brown.”

The pop star over the years has had several brushes with the law.

He was convicted in 2009 of beating fellow singer Rihanna, his then-girlfriend, who was forced to miss the Grammy Awards that year.

In 2016, he was arrested and charged with assault with a deadly weapon after a bizarre hours-long standoff with police in Los Angeles.