Lagos Govt Declares Toll Free Day For Motorists Along Lekki-Epe Axis

File: Babajide Sanwo-Olu

 

Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has declared toll free for motorists going and coming out of Lekki- Epe axis during rush hours on Thursday.

The Governor declared the toll-free passage on Wednesday at the toll plaza on Lekki-Epe Expressway and the Lekki-Ikoyi Link Bridge between 6:30am and 9:30am in the morning, and also at the peak period in the evening (4:30pm to 8pm).

Sanwo-Olu disclosed this during a tour that followed a stakeholders’ meeting on regeneration of the Lekki-Oniru and parts of the Victoria Island as solution to the perennial traffic gridlock and flooding issues around the Lekki and Ajah areas.

READ ALSO: We Did Not Visit Ijegun, Because It Is A Crime Scene, Says Sanwo-Olu

He said the objective is to allow traffic consultants to the government carry out a comprehensive study of traffic flow around Lekki-Ikoyi-Victoria Island axes, which is part of the initiatives the government is bringing to diffuse vehicular gridlock in major Business Districts in the state.

The cost of the toll fees for the study period will be borne by the government, Sanwo-Olu said.

“Tomorrow being Thursday, the toll plazas on the Ikoyi Link Bridge and Lekki-Epe Expressway will be left open between 6:30am and 9:30am in the morning and also between 4:30pm and 8:00pm in the evening. This is to allow us to do a real simulation of traffic study in these areas that usually witness high density of vehicular movement daily.

“We are currently undertaking a traffic study with our experts and we want to know where the traffic goes to when the tollgates are left open for steady movement. It is only when we do this activity at the peak hour that we will be able to understand how to deal with congestion in these places.”

Sanwo-Olu said the undertaking was necessary for the government to take actions that would lead to reduction of traffic on the axes by 50 per cent. The resultant effect, he said, would lead to decrease in travel time and improved productivity.

“Our government wants to bring about a quick journey time through our traffic solution. The way we want to do it is to have an online real-time study of what the issues are. We are going to analyze the dimension of observed challenges and discuss next steps of solution we are bringing,” the Governor said.

As part of the measures being initiated to achieve free flow of traffic, Sanwo-Olu hinted that the mode of toll collection at the Ikoyi-Link Bridge would completely go electronic, disclosing that a new method of payment would take off in October. The Governor urged motorists plying the route to apply ahead for electronic access cards at Lagos Tolling Company in compliance with the new service.

He said: “In October, the partners that we are working with will introduce a software that will allow electronic collection of toll fees. This means that motorists will not be paying cash. The process to implement this is on, and we will come up with a seamless electronic solution. We are giving three months notice to residents and motorists to prepare ahead. By the time this is done, we believe some of the bottlenecks in and around Ikoyi would be reduce and we are hoping there would be free flow of traffic.”

He added that the size of the roundabout at the Admiralty road would be reduced for the purpose of traffic diffusion.

The Governor also visited the scene of last week Monday flood in Abraham Adesanya Junction to inspect the cause of the clogged drainage in the area. Sanwo-Olu said Office of the Drainage Services had been given a task to ensure free flow of water in the clogged drainages and canals in Ajah area.

He said: “Our stop at Abraham Adesanya Junction in Ajah area was to take necessary assessment of the condition of drainage in the area. We have identified things we need to do to have free flow of water from the area to the lagoon. We are also looking at reduction of the size of the roundabout there. We are coming out with a comprehensive traffic and drainage solutions at the Abraham Adesanya area.

“We have had several complaints about how long it takes people moving around Ajah Bus Stop. We are going to push a major layby, where we can take commercial vehicles off the road. We have realized that commercial vehicles are the major cause of traffic at the spot. We are going to push the layby there and cut it off, so that motorists moving inward to Victoria Island can have an easy way. We are looking at both lanes to reduce journey time.”

Joining the governor in the tour included the Deputy Governor, Dr. Obafemi Hamzat, Secretary to the State Government, Mrs Folashade Jaji, Head of Service, Mr. Hakeem Muri-Okunola, and Deputy Chief of Staff, Mr. Gboyega Soyannwo, among others.

FRSC Confirms Four Dead,Analyses Lagos-Ibadan Expressway Situation

Lagos-Ibadan expressway, gridlock, Tanker accident,One more person has been confirmed dead, by the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) Marshall, Boboye Oyeyemi, bringing the death toll of the Lagos-Ibadan express way accident, to Four.

He also made the confirmation that five, not four vehicles as against Wednesday’s report, were involved, while speaking on Channels Television’s breakfast show, Sunrise Daily.

Mr Oyeyemi, explaining the situation that led up to the recent road congestion, said:

“The Lagos Ibadan expressway has the highest traffic density in the country, of about 25,000 vehicles per hour.”

Hence, the need for the ongoing road construction, aimed at expanding the roads from two-way lanes to three.

He explained that “when this kind of construction is on-going, there is bound to be such chaotic situation, however, even before the construction started, there have been series of traffic alerts by the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC)”.

After rescue efforts were completed, on Wednesday, the aftermath of the accident was the gridlock which commuters still have to suffer a day or more after.

The FRSC Boss, explaining further said:

“All those tankers, trailers that were packed because of the gridlock yesterday, started moving, and because the inbound lane had been shut down for repairs, leaving only one lane, there is bound to be a band-wagon effect.

“When those tankers are moving, there’s no way for any other vehicle to attempt to over-take,” he said.

He however stated that his men had worked over-night and were still on ground, while suggesting that “what we require now, is traffic redistribution.

“All those trailers should be re-routed so that there can be flow of traffic for smaller vehicles and buses,” he stated.

Mr Oyeyemi, then suggested three ways by which the situation could be abated.

He said, vehicles could re-route through Lekki-epe, Ikorodu or Sango-ota, Abeokuta routes.

However to make that move possible, he hinted that he would be relocating from Abuja to Lagos on Thursday, so that proper discussion could be held on how to further ease the situation.

The ghastly accident occurred when a tanker collided with another truck, causing a fire explosion, on a major bridge along Lagos-Ibadan expressway, in the early hours of Wednesday.

The prompt deployment of men of the National Emergency Management Agency, (NEMA), Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), NSCDC, fire service and the police prevented the situation from escalating further.

Three Confirmed Dead In Diesel Tanker Accident

Tanker accident, Lagos-Ibadan expressway, gridlockThree persons have been confirmed dead on Wednesday, after an accident that occurred on the Lagos-Ibadan express way.

The ghastly accident occurred when a tanker collided with another truck, causing a fire explosion, on a major bridge along Lagos-Ibadan expressway, in the early hours of Wednesday.

The roads reached a gridlock following the incident, although traffic officials have been working to ease the road tension so far, and joint evacuation efforts were being carried out by men of the National Emergency Management Agency, (NEMA), Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), NSCDC, fire service and the police.

FRSC Marshall, Boboye Oyeyemi, explaining the situation that led up to the recent road congestion, said:

“The Lagos Ibadan expressway has the highest traffic density in the country, of about 25,000 vehicles per hour.”

Hence, the need for the ongoing road construction, aimed at expanding the roads from two-way lanes to three.

He explained that “when this kind of construction is on-going, there is bound to be such chaotic situation, however, even before the construction started, there have been series of traffic alerts by the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC)”.

As early as 3:30am on Wednesday, traffic already started building-up, in what many thought was the usual traffic, which started last week due to the re-construction of the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway.

Unknown to them, the ghastly accident had just occurred, involving goods-laden truck, diesel tanker and some vehicles.

According to passers-by, vehicles heading toward the axis were diverted to the inward-Lagos lane as officers of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) cordoned off the outward Lagos-lane.

A bus driver giving account of the event said he got caught up in the traffic which he thought was due to the u-turn before Secretariat bus-stop, but on getting to the u-turn, he saw FRSC officials diverting vehicles to the inward-Lagos lane.

Tanker accident, Lagos-IbadanVehicles that were already ahead on the cordoned off lane started making a u-turn to join the inward-Lagos lane on sighting the diesel tanker accident.

Public vehicles that are Mowe-Ibafo bound, began dropping off passengers at Berger bus-stop, refusing to go further because of the situation, with passengers left with no other choice than to trek from Berger to their various destinations.

Another eye-witness who requested anonymity, explained that the failure of the fuel tanker’s brake system caused it to lose control and collide with the truck.

Thanks to the prompt alertness of the FRSC, LASEMA, Lagos State Firefighters, and Police who were able to bring the situation under control with rescue operations still ongoing.

FRSC Officials however warned motorists that were now driving against traffic, to be careful.

Petrol Tanker accidentA spokesman for the FRSC told Channels Television that immediately the event occurred, “Our men, LASEMA and many other emergency response organizations, rushed to the scene of the accident.

He believes that the accident was as a result of indiscipline of drivers.

“What you have seen is a classical example of indiscipline that has been happening on this road, since the commencement of the rehabilitation of the roads.

“As you can see, there are about four vehicles involved, which means two-lane carriage way had been converted to four-lanes and as a result, they struck themselves and there was a crash and also an explosion of fire.

He however, gave the assurance that the debris would be cleared while the traffic would ease as soon as possible.

Lekki-Epe Expressway: Lagos Govt. insists on Tolling

lekki- Epe

The Lagos state government has restated its commitment to maintenance of law and order in the state after an alleged breakdown of law and order during a protest march by a group said to be opposed to the commencement of tolling at the Lekki – Epe expressway.

Reacting to the incident, the State Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr Aderemi Ibirogba said while it is the fundamental right of citizens to protest, there should never be recourse to violence.

He however expressed regrets that some journalists and media organisations were affected by the fracas which reportedly broke out at the scene of the protest.

He claimed that the police made some arrests including a top Peoples’ Democratic Party candidate who contested and lost during the last general elections, a development which showed that the protest itself was politically motivated.

Mr Ibirogba said, the state government will probe deep into the issue and prosecute masterminds of the reported violence during the protest

Lekki-Epe Expressway Toll:Clashes mar protest

lekki- Epe

An unidentified group of people alleged to be Political thugs have disrupted a peaceful protest staged by some residents of Lekki and its environs to prevent the commencement of tolling on the Lekki-Epe expressway.

The protest which began around 8a.m this morning was later hijacked by the touts who attacked journalists from Silverbird Television, Rhythm 93.7 and Reuters news service, and went away with cameras and recorders of the newsmen before the Nigerian Police intervened to disperse the crowd with tear gas to prevent the situation from escalating.