Shettima Holds Emergency Meeting With Security Heads

Shettima Holds Emergency Meeting With Security Heads In BornoFollowing resurgence of attacks by remnants of the ‎Boko Haram insurgents in some parts of Borno State, Governor Kashim Shettima, has held an emergency security meeting with security operatives.

The meeting was attended by heads of the Nigerian Army, Air Force, Police and the Department of State Services (DSS), with proactive measures taken on how to increase surveillance and forestall unanticipated security breach.

Governor Shettima began with a three-hour closed door meeting with the Theater Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole, Major General Leo Irabor, on Friday at the Government House in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital.

‎During the meeting, he was briefed on recent attacks and ongoing military operations while discussions were held with assurances that the remnants of the insurgents were on suicidal mission, given their displacement from their former headquarters at the Sambisa forest.

Spokesman to the governor, Mr Isa Gusau, said in a statement issued on Sunday that after meeting with the Theater Commander who is not a member of the State Security Council, Governor Shettima presided over an emergency meeting of the State Security Council that involved core armed forces.

At the end of meeting, new guard locations were established in some routes across the state to curtail the movement of the Boko Haram fighters.

The number of security personnel deployed to various locations were also increased with more members of the Civilian JTF (youth volunteers) involved.

Governor Shettima also gave approval for the release of additional patrol vehicles to security agencies for increased surveillance in the state.

He also approved logistics to compliment efforts of the Federal Government in strengthening the armed forces, while measures were adopted to strengthen the Civilian JTF and hunters.

The Council also reviewed the synergy between formal armed forces and volunteers, with steps adopted to increase collaboration and clamp down on cattle rustling used by insurgents to raise funds.

The meeting, which lasted for over three hours at the council chambers of the Government House, had in attendance ‎the General Officer Commanding, Seven Division of the Army, Brigadier General Victor Ezugwu; the Commander, 79 Composite group of the Nigerian Air Force, Air Commodore Charles Ohwo; the Borno State Commissioner of Police, Damian Chukwu, and the Garrison Commander, Seven Division of the Army, Brigadier General Jibrin Mohammed.

Others at the meeting are the State Director of the DSS, Suleiman Kankia, Commandant of the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps, Ibrahim Abdullahi, the Secretary to the State Government, Usman Shuwa, the Attorney General and Commissioner of Justice, Kaka Lawan and the Permanent Secretary in charge of Security.

Operation Lafiya Dole Gets New Commander

Lafiya Dole
Outgoing Commander of Lafiya Dole, Major General Hassan Umar

Major General Leo Irabor has taken over as the Theatre Commander of the anti-terrorism war code name “Operation Lafiya Dole.”

Irabor replaces Major General Hassan Umaru who has been in command of the theatre of operations since January 2016.

General Irabor was the second in command, when the outgoing commander Major General Hassan Umar served in the command.

The new commander lauded the support of soldiers fighting on the frontline, pointing out that without their commitment the war against terrorism would not be won.

Umaru is assuming the role of Head of Training at the Army Headquarters, a position previously occupied by pioneer Theatre commander Yusha’u until his death last week.

The outgoing commander said that the new role still offered him the opportunity to participate in the counter-terrorism war in the northeast on a different platform.

He presented awards of appreciation to the Military operatives from Niger Republic and Britain and other partners for their contributions.