Captured Terrorists Make Confessions, Plead For Mercy

Boko-Haram-ArrestedScores of wounded terrorists, who escaped from various camps under the fire of security forces in north east Nigeria, have been captured in the fringes of Lake Chad. 

In a statement, the spokesman for the Multi-National Joint Task Force (MJTF), Major General Chris Olukolade, said the captured terrorists, some of whom were fatally wounded, were already making useful statements to interrogators of the task force. 

He said that others were captured by troops in locations around Dikwa, Cross Kauwa, Kukawa and Alargarmo.

Full Of Apologies

In their confessions, it was revealed that some of the camps had been disbanded following the directive of their clerics who declared that the operation of the sect had come to an end as the mission could no longer be sustained. 

“The terrorists, who are giving useful information as to the locations of their remnant forces, are full of apologies and pleas for their lives to be spared promising to cooperate.

“They confirmed that starvation was a major problem in addition to ceaseless bombardments on the camp locations even when they kept relocating,” the statement read.  

Major General Olukolade also stated that the captured terrorists confirmed that several members of the group had been wounded and that no treatment was forth coming.  

The troops have continued their assault on other locations across the three northeast states covered by the state of emergency.

Dislodged camps and fringes of forests, such as Sambisa and others, have become a tourist attraction for people in the region, who have started visiting the camps for sight-seeing.

The task force has warned them to desist from doing so, as the “tendency will no more be condoned where operations are still ongoing”.

There is strict restriction of movements in the area, as the environment has to be cleared for safety of citizens.    

The public will be informed when the locations are safe enough, the statement read.

Boko Haram: Adamawa Governor Cuts Short Visit To Shuwa

There was pandemonium in Shuwa, in Michika Local Government of Adamawa State on Friday when sporadic gunshots from a nearby village purportedly forced the State Governor, Murtala Nyako to abort his scheduled visit to Shuwa town.

Shuwa is one of the four villages raided on Wednesday by insurgents, and over six people were reported killed.

Governor Nyako and his team were on condolence visit when gunmen suspected to be members of the sect allegedly opened fire, forcing the Governor and his delegation to retreat.

Addressing journalists in Yobe, the Governor criticized the Federal Government over what he called continued raids by the members of the sect, which the military authorities seem to have no answers to.

According to him, “there is no excuse whatsoever. We want to know what is happening, we should be able to know where these arms are manufactured and even the signatures of the weapon.”

Meanwhile, the Director Defence Information, Major-General Olukolade, in a statement, has described the claim as “an unsubstantiated report that should be disregarded.”

He said: “The truth is that the governor visited Michika and Shuwa areas of Yobe State to sympathise with the communities that were attacked by terrorists and while returning, the convoy came across a noticeable alarm raised by some people who had mistaken a military convoy on patrol at Kirchinga village, for another impending attack by terrorists.”

Major General Olukolade said that the troops had discovered an entry and exit point of terrorists into the country through the state and was working on blocking it.

He assured the community of their safety as normalcy had returned.