Four Children Killed By Drunken Driver In Australia

Flowers and images of those involved in the accident are pictured at a makeshift memorial at the site of an accident which killed four children the day before,
Farooq KHAN / AFP

 

A drunk driver slammed his pickup truck into a group of children in Sydney, killing two sisters, their brother and a cousin and seriously injuring three others, police alleged on Sunday.

The 29-year-old driver was charged with manslaughter and high-range drink driving following the incident late Saturday in the Oatlands suburb of western Sydney.

The children were on a footpath when the four-wheel-drive jumped the curb and rammed into them, police alleged.

Three girls aged 8 to 12 and a 13-year-old boy died at the scene and two other girls and a boy were injured and taken to hospital, where they were in a stable condition Sunday, police said.

READ ALSO: Philippines Records First Coronavirus Death Outside China

The dead included two sisters and their brother, three of the six children of Daniel and Leila Abdallah.

“Yesterday I lost three of my children. I had a cousin, Bridget, she lost her daughter as well,” Daniel Abdallah told reporters Sunday morning.

“I’m numb, probably that’s how I feel at the moment,” he said.

“All I just want to say is, please, drivers be careful. These kids were just walking innocently, enjoying each other’s’ company and this morning I woke up, I have lost three kids.”

A makeshift memorial was later put up where the accident occurred, with people coming to place flowers, teddy bears and candles as well as pay their respects.

The driver, whose name has not been released, was due in court Sunday facing 20 charges.

AFP

Pilot Henderson Arrested On Suspicion Of Manslaughter Over Emiliano Sala Death

In this file photo taken on February 10, 2019 Supporters pay tribute and look at yellow flowers displayed in front of the portrait of Argentinian forward Emiliano Sala at the Beaujoire stadium in Nantes, on February 10, 2019. A 64-year-old man from North Yorkshire (north of England) was arrested on June 19, 2019, on suspicion of manslaughter in the case of the death of footballer Emiliano Sala, the British police said. PHOTO: LOIC VENANCE / AFP

 

A man arrested on suspicion of manslaughter over the death of Argentine footballer Emiliano Sala was on Thursday named by the Times newspaper as pilot David Henderson.

Sala, 28, died when a plane carrying him and pilot David Ibbotson came down in the Channel on January 21, just days after he had joined Cardiff City from Nantes.

“As a result of our enquiries we have today, Wednesday 19 June 2019, arrested a 64-year-old man from the North Yorkshire area on suspicion of manslaughter by an unlawful act,” Detective Inspector Simon Huxter, of Dorset Police said in a statement.

“He is assisting with our enquiries and has been released from custody under investigation.”

The Times newspaper named the arrested man as pilot Henderson, who worked regularly for Willie McKay, a football agent linked with Sala’s transfer.

The agent has previously said he asked Henderson to fly the plane, but that he was unable to do so.

Sala had been Cardiff’s record signing after a fee of £15 million ($19 million) was agreed with Nantes during the January transfer window.

After travelling to Cardiff to complete the deal, Sala returned to northern France to collect belongings and bid farewell to his teammates.

It was on his return to the Welsh capital to take part in his first training session that the tragedy occurred.

Initial search operations for the player and pilot were suspended in the days after the plane went missing.

However, a crowdfunding effort supported by thousands of donations, including from football stars such as Lionel Messi and Kylian Mbappe, helped launch a private search.

That specialised search saw Sala’s body recovered from the wreckage in February but Ibbotson’s body has not been found.

Two months after Sala’s body was discovered, his father Horacio Sala died of a heart attack in Argentina.

Legal wrangle

Moving tributes were paid to Sala from across the football world with Nantes retiring the number nine jersey he wore for the Ligue 1 side.

However, the two clubs have been involved in a legal wrangle over the transfer fee.

Nantes reported Cardiff to FIFA after the first instalment of the fee, believed to be £5 million, was not paid on time.

Cardiff previously stated they were “shocked” at reports that Ibbotson did not have a licence to fly at night.

“The club remains deeply concerned that the pilot, and those who arranged the flight, seemingly completely disregarded the rules of flying and put Mr Sala‘s life in such danger,” Cardiff said in a statement in March.

“We believe those who are responsible should be held fully accountable for their actions.”

In the aftermath of the tragedy, Cardiff were relegated from the Premier League after just one season back in the top flight.

AFP

Soldier To Serve Seven Year Jail Term For Manslaughter

Soldier To Serve 7-Year Jail Term For ManslaughterThe General Court Marshal of 7 Division sitting in Maiduguri, Borno state, has sentenced a serving soldier to seven years imprisonment for manslaughter.

The soldier is being prosecuted for shooting and killing one Mr Umar Alkali within the popular Monday Market in Maiduguri metropolis on December 23 2015.

The soldier (name withheld) was found guilty of manslaughter punishable under Section (105) of the Armed Forces Act CAP A20 of the Laws of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 2004.

Narrating the circumstances surrounding the incident, the soldier stated that he shot and killed Alkali to save his life; an act he described as self defence, after the deceased assaulted and tried to wrestle his rifle from him.

The plea was however set aside on the ground of disproportionate use of force.

While dismissing the initial charge of murder leveled against the officer, the GCM upheld the charge of manslaughter.

The President of the Court, Brigadier General Olusegun Adeniyi while delivering the verdict, gave a detailed account of all the proceedings and relevant laws that guided the court at arriving at its decision.

Another soldier (name withheld) was also found guilty of a one count charge of desertion punishable under section 60 of the Act.

He had deserted his duty post for 272 and was declared Missing in Action until he was discovered somewhere in eastern Nigeria.

He has been sentenced to 14 months imprisonment.

Driver Arrested After London Tram Derailment Killed Seven

Driver Arrested After London Tram Derailment Killed 7A driver has been arrested after a Croydon tram overturned in South London, killing seven people and injuring 51.

The tram driver, arrested on suspicion of manslaughter, was reportedly asleep at the wheel.

Witnesses recounted the “carnage” with reports that the driver, 42, may have blacked out before the two-car tram overturned near a tunnel in Croydon about 6AM as torrential rain battered London.

The tram derailed when rounding a sharp curve with a 20kph speed limit on the approach to a junction as it traveled from new Addington to Wimbledon.

All the 51 injured people have been sent to the hospital.

The rail accident investigation branch says that the tram was traveling at a “significantly higher speed than is permitted.”

The traffic has been suspended at the site of the accident, and the TFL said that it will not resume until the weekend at least.

Police officers are continuing to work at the scene. They will carry out forensic examinations overnight and on Thursday assess how and when it is appropriate to recover the tram and remove it from the tracks.

 

 

Manslaughter: Court To Sit Over DPO Appeal On 10-Year Jail Term

Former DPO,10-year jail term,The Lagos Court of Appeal will on Wednesday November 2, 2016, sit for the adoption of the appeal filed by former Divisional Police Officer (DPO), Mr Segun Fabunmi.

Mr Fabunmi, had been sentenced to 10 years in prison by the Lagos High Court judgment, for manslaughter, following the death of one Ademola Aderintola Daramola, during the January 9, 2012 fuel subsidy protest in Lagos.

The Lagos Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice Mr Adeniji Kazeem will represent the State Government at the hearing.

In a trial, earlier in 2014, a prosecuting witness, Mr Chizoba Udoh, confirmed that the defendant shot at the crowd while the people ran.

He explained that he was reading a newspaper at Maternity Junction, Yaya Abatan, in the Ogba area of Lagos on January 9, 2012, when the Police van
arrived.

Fuel subsidy protest
Ademola Aderintola being harassed by the Officers before being shot.

“Suddenly a policeman got down from the van and started shooting in the air and I immediately crossed the road.

“Another policeman, who was not in uniform then collected the gun from him and shot at the crowd gathered at the junction while we ran,” he said.

He added that it was while they were running that the deceased was killed, while four others sustained bullet wounds.

 

Six Nigerian Army Officers Face Court Martial In Ibadan

Court Martial, ArmySix military personnel from various units of the 2 Division of the Nigerian Army Adekunle Fajuyi Cantonment, Odogbo Ibadan have appeared before a general court martial.

The General Officer Commanding, 11 Mechanised Division, Major General Laz Ilo, says the division will not tolerate any form of indiscipline.

The allegations against the accused military personnel include murder, manslaughter, stealing, negligence of performance of military duties, sexual relationship with spouse of military personnel, disgraceful conduct of indecent nature, and scandalous conduct of an officer.

The accused military personnel comprised one on the rank of major, one captain, one lieutenant, one second lieutenant, one corporal and one private.

They allegedly committed the offences at various units under the 2 Division of Nigerian Army.

While inaugurating the 6-man panel, Maj. Gen. Ilo stated unequivocally that no act of indiscipline would go unpunished under his watch. He charged all to be above board and respect the rights of all in their conducts.

The GOC further explained that the human rights desk has been established at the division for members of the public to launch their complaints about erring military personnel, saying military justice is in consonance with the democratic order and that military law and administration of the law are based on due process.

Ilo stated that the inauguration of general court martial was in line with the vision of Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen Tukur Buratai, to have a professionally responsive Nigerian Army in the discharge of its constitutional roles to the nation, adding that to accomplish the vision, there is need for absolute discipline.

The trial of the accused commenced immediately after the GOC inaugurated the General Court Martial.

The special court is presided over by Brig Gen Ibikunle Raji and comprised five other members including Col Jimoh Audu, Lt. Col Kenneth Emefiele, Lt. Col Aliyu Emekoma, Major James Mimiola and the judge advocate, Major Diepiriye Biambo.

The Deputy Director of Legal Services 2 Div., Col. Mahmood Wambai, said that the accused Army officers have been given enough opportunity to defend themselves.

Ojuelegba Container Accident Suspect Arrested, Says Lagos CP

CP-Lagos-owoseniThe Lagos State Commissioner of Police (CP), Fatai Owoseni, said on Monday that the person suspected to be responsible for a recent trailer accident that occurred at Ojuelegba, in Lagos State, has been arrested and charged.

The CP said that the owner of the truck was also in Police custody.

According to him, the suspect is said to be charged for contravention of traffic laws and manslaughter.

Speaking to Channels Television, Mr Owoseni stated that one of the best ways to prevent such occurrences was to twist-lock the container on the truck.

He also said that other measures would be to ensure that containers that are not twist-locked do not leave the port.

“We won’t even allow those trucks that are carrying containers that are not twist-locked to get out of the port”.

The Police Commissioner further said that plans were on to establish a collaboration with the Ports Authority and other stakeholders, to check the tonnage of the trucks before they carry equipment.

 

British court convicts 19 year old Nigerian girl of manslaughter

A British court has convicted 19-year-old Nigerian-born Victoria Osoteku of manslaughter in the March 2011- killing of a London pupil.

She was accused of being behind the brutal murder of Sofyen Belamouadden who was stabbed to death in front of terrified commuters at the Victoria Island in London.

Osoteku was caught on CCTV camera, kicking the dying pupil in the head after he had been knifed repeatedly for 10 seconds by rival school students.

According to Telegraph reports, the murdered student had suffered nine knife wounds, including severe injuries to his heart, a lung and major blood vessels.

Osoteku, a south London resident, was found guilty at the Old Bailey court and was the only female to be charged in connection to the gruesome murder.

At 17, the A-level student had orchestrated Sofyen’s murder. The court heard that she had purchased the set of Argos knives that the gang members had used in stabbing the student.

Osoteku had sent out the phone text and Facebook messages, instigating the clash between students of rival schools. Sofyen had been hunted down by some 20 students who had been armed with a Samurai sword, flick knife, Swiss army knife, machetes and screwdrivers. They had chased him around the Terminus Way concourse and into the Underground station, reports said.

Prosecutor Mark Heywood QC said “they were so heavily armed that no smaller group, or even police officer or member of station staff, could withstand them or stop them.”

A smaller group of attacker had delivered the final fatal wounds on Sofyen after he had fallen down the stairs and into the ticket hall.
Heywood said Osoteku and another pupil had been the “focal point” behind the attacks.

“She was one of those who set up and organised the confrontation that led to the death. Her responsibility for the death is very great indeed, even though it was others that delivered the final fatal blows that led to Sofyen Belamouadden’s death,” he added.

Osoteku had denied the allegations during the five-month long trial, claiming that she hadn’t kicked the deceased, but had only been checking him.
“I just went to see if he was OK and I nudged him with my foot to see if he was OK,” she wept.

“He didn’t move. I looked down and then I ran off. I panicked. I did not know what to do.”

Osoteku, the fourth to be convicted of manslaughter, had recounted for the court, a terrible childhood and hard upbringing.

She claims she had been taken into care at age eight. Osoteku is currently in custody awaiting sentencing at a later date.