Troops Recover Marte, Kill Scores Of Terrorists – Army Spokesman

Borno is situated in northeast Nigeria.
A map of Borno, a state in north-east Nigeria.

 

The Nigerian Army on Tuesday said it had recovered New Marte in Borno State from the grip of Boko Haram terrorists.

The Chief of Army Staff, Major-General Ibrahim Attahiru, had on Sunday given the troops a 48-hour ultimatum to recover the town.

“The troops backed by air cover from the Nigerian Air force , successfully charged through Marte town, destroying several Improvised Explosive Device (IEDs) and landmines laced across their routes and killing scores of Boko Haram/ISWAP terrorists and successfully recovered the town,” a statement signed by army spokesman Brigadier-General Mohammed Yerima, said.

READ ALSO: Panic As Gunshots, Explosions Rock Maiduguri

“The gallant troops are currently in total control of the general area. Details soon.”

‘Morale is High’

The terrorists had hoisted their flag in parts of Marte last week after repeated attacks on the community, according to military sources,

On Sunday, Major General Attahiru, while visiting Dikwa local government in Borno, gave the troops on the ground a 48-hour marching order for the clearance of Marte and three other communities in Borno state.

“In the last few days we have had attacks in your Area of Responsibility: it is now high time we get back and fight through and support our forces ahead of you. Areas around Marte, Chukungudu, Krenoa, and Kirta Wulgo must be cleared in the next 48 hours,” he said.

“You can rest assured of all the support required in this very onerous task. I have just spoken to your Theatre Commander, General Officer Commanding, you cannot let this nation down. Go there and do the needful and I will be right behind you. Ensure you do your job, and do your job well.

“They have presented certain issues that came up, sooner rather than later we would address; where there are no adequate A and B vehicles we would provide with these few remarks. I wish you well on the operation and I know the morale is high.”

Insurgency: Army Chief Gives Troops 48-Hour Ultimatum To Clear Marte

 

The Chief of Army Staff, Major General Ibrahim Attahiru has given a 48-hour marching order for the clearance of Marte and three other communities in Borno state.

Attahiru gave the order in Dikwa Local Government, the headquarters of the Super Camp 9 Operation Lafiya Dole.

“In the last few days we have had attacks in your Area of Responsibility: it is now high time we get back and fight through and support our forces ahead of you. Areas around Marte, Chukungudu, Krenoa and Kirta Wulgo must be cleared in the next 48 hours,” he said.

“You can rest assured of all the support required in this very onerous task. I have just spoken to your Theatre Commander, General Officer Commanding, you cannot let this nation down. Go there and do the needful and I will be right behind you. Ensure you do your job, and do your job well.

The Chief of Army Staff, Major General Ibrahim Attahiru addresses troops at in Dikwa Local Government, the headquarters of the Super Camp 9 Operation Lafiya Dole on February 21, 2021.

 

“They have presented certain issues that came up, sooner rather than later we would address; where there are no adequate A and B vehicles we would provide with these few remarks. I wish you well on the operation and I know the morale is high.”

The COAS’ visit is sequeĺ to attacks in the next town, Marte which filters to Dikwa causing panic among civilians.

Normalcy has since been restored in Dikwa and the army chief has addressed the people, seeking their cooperation and support.

READ ALSO: Niger Govt Secures Release Of Kidnapped Commuters

Attahiru directed the immediate clearance operations in Marte and other towns harbouring insurgents in the Super camp 9 Area of responsibility.

The order comes 24 hours after insurgents believed to be members of Boko Haram hoisted their flag in parts of Marte local government in Borno State, according to military sources.

The insurgents repeatedly attacked the local government within the week.

On Friday, the insurgents attacked neighbouring Dikwa local government.

But they were repelled by a combined effort of the air component and ground forces of Operation Lafiya Dole in a battle that lasted hours, sources said.

61 Infants Hospitalized As Shettima Orders Special Care For Rescued Persons

Children rescuedA total of 61 critically malnourished infants have been hospitalized in Maiduguri, the capital of Borno State in Northeast Nigeria.

This was on the orders of Borno State Governor, Kashim Shettima after he relocated for medical care, the 478 children and 219 adults, who were rescued from Boko Haram by the Nigerian military.

The victims, all of whom were malnourished due to two years captivity in the hands of Boko Haram insurgents, were moved from Bama to a special care unit in Maiduguri on Monday.

The Spokesman to Governor, Mr Isa Gusau, gave the details in a statement on Tuesday.

The adults consist of 196 women, some of whom gave birth to part of the 478 children. The rest of the adults are 23 men who looked thin.

The victims were among those rescued by the military in continued operations against Boko Haram insurgents who in the last six years attacked communities, killing residents and abducting many.

Dozens of buses conveyed them to the newly opened special care unit in Maiduguri.

The 61 infants, now hospitalized at Umaru Shehu Specialist Hospital, owned by the State Government in Maiduguri, are undergoing medical care arising from extreme deprivation of food.

After ordering Health and Emergency Management Agency staff to set up the special unit on Monday night, Governor Shettima was at the unit on Tuesday to meet the kids and parents.

The Governor mobilized workers on water and sanitation, environment and other senior government officials. He also supervised administration of care to the children and the parents.

“Anyone that shows sign of being in critical health condition should be sent for medical admission on Government shoulders. Food and water must be constant and so should medical staff and drugs at the unit. I will monitor every step of what happens here,” Shettima told the staff.

Humanitarian Support

There were also volunteers from Empower 54, a US-based humanitarian organization led by a Benin Princess, Modupe Ozolua.

According to the Governor’s spokesperson, Ms Ozolua played a key role in working with the Borno State Government since the past weeks and she accompanied government officials to Bama on Monday to convey the 697 victims to Maiduguri.

“Modupe has done very well in supporting Borno,” Shettima praised.

At the special care unit were members of the Dangote ‎Foundation who immediately donated food items.

There were officials from the United Nations Office on Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs and so were members of the International Committee of the Red Cross and Red Crescent and those from UNICEF.

Everyone wanted to help as they were inspired by Governor Shettima’s two hours supervision at the special unit.

Newly Rescued

Meanwhile, Governor Kashim Shettima also on Tuesday, relocated some newly rescued thousands of villagers displaced in Marte and Mafa.

The Governor went to see the victims who stayed under trees along Maiduguri-Dikwa road on the outskirts of Maiduguri.‎

The villagers, said to be in their thousands were rescued around Mafa and Marte after a recent raid by the military.

They were trapped due to insurgency activities on the routes to their villages, they told the Governor.

Shettima not only ordered that a new camp be opened for them but he waited for four hours, supervising the creation of the camp and ensured that the rescued persons had settled in the camp.

He ordered construction of boreholes and restrooms while a medical unit would also be set up.

The Governor was concerned about security around the new camp but he was assured by soldiers that there was no cause for worry.

Nigerian Troops Arrest Boko Haram Financier

boko haramThe Nigerian military says that troops of the 112 Battalion and special forces in Mafa and Dikwa have raided a Boko Haram camp at Bulungwa Naibe in Dikwa Local Government Area of Borno State.

A statement issued by the Acting Director, Army Public Relations, Colonel Sani Usman, says that during the operation, quite a number of the Boko Haram terrorists were killed, while a Buffalo vehicle mounted with an anti-aircraft gun, a rocket propelled grenade, two machine guns and 1 sub-machine gun were recovered from the terrorists.

Elsewhere, troops also intercepted and arrested a suspected Boko Haram financier and stimulants dealer, Mohammed Maina, in Bama, Bama Local Government Area of Borno State.

The suspect is said to have been arrested with the sum of one million naira cash and some items.

Boko Haram Poisons Water Sources In Borno Villages

water scarcityThe Nigerian Army on Wednesday warned residents of Borno State to avoid cattle water ponds in Kangallam Village along Marte and Abadam axis in Borno State.

A statement by the Deputy Director Army Public Relations, Col. Tukur Gusau, said “a large number of cattle died after drinking water from the ponds”, maintaining that in view of this development “citizens are called upon to avoid as much as possible drinking water from unverified sources especially in locations that troops routed out Boko Haram terrorists”.

Col. Tukur further noted that “information reaching the Theater Command, Operation LAFIYA DOLE indicates that Boko Haram terrorists have now resorted to poisoning water sources like wells and streams in areas they were dislodged by gallant troops or areas threatened by offensive operations.

“Credible information available to the Theater Command indicates that though no human life was lost as a result of the barbaric act of the terrorists, however, some cattle were killed after drinking water from some poisoned sources”, he said.

He added that “the action of the terrorists is no doubt aimed at taking their own pound of flesh on the innocent citizen and livestock as a result of the unbearable offensive operations through the combined effort of the Nigerian Army and the Nigerian Air Force to route them out completely from their enclaves and hide-outs all over the northeast”.

 

Boko Haram Recaptures Marte, Borno

Boko Haram takes over Marte in BornoBoko Haram militants have once again struck in Borno State, capturing the town of Marte. 

Reports say the terrorists, who fled from their base in Sambisa Forest, as offensive heightened in the area, have regrouped in Marte.

The Deputy Governor of Borno State, Zannah Mustapha, confirmed the recapture of the town by Boko Haram.

He also alleged that 600 women and girls had been dispatched by the terrorists, as suicide bombers, with the aim of causing multiple explosions in Maiduguri, the capital of Borno State.

The Deputy Governor, who had to cut short his official engagements in Abuja to attend to the situation in the State,  said residents must be patient with the security agencies in spite of the attendant hardships caused by the dusk to dawn curfew.

There was an attack on Kayamla village on Wednesday. The attackers launched the offensive through an area called “Cashew Plantation” behind Giwa Barracks, the headquarters of the 7th Division of the Nigerian Army.

The attack by the insurgents and subsequent bombardment by the military had resulted to an earlier 24 hour curfew declaration, which was later relaxed to 12 noon to 5:00pm.

Counter-terrorism operations have continued in the north-east. The military had pushed out the terrorists from Adamawa and Yobe States, with concentration now on the Sambisa Forest in Borno State, a major stronghold of the terrorists.