APC Reacts To Ogar On Osun Election

Lai Mohammed_APC_spokesman2The All Progressives Congress, APC, has reacted to the statement made by the spokesperson of the Department of State Security – DSS, on the conduct of Osun governorship election.

The party, in a press release on Thursday by its Publicity Secretary, Lai Mohammed said Ms Ogar’s statements were unprofessional and irresponsible and represents the opinion of the PDP.

Mohammed wondered why the DSS Spokesperson would describe his movement on the night he was arrested in Osogbo as “loitering’‘ when as a citizen of Nigeria, he has the freedom to move around.

The party went further to ask why the DSS did not arrest some other key PDP chieftains who were in Osun and are not indigenes of the state.

It described as  tissue of lies the allegation by Ms. Ogar that the party tried to bribe the DSS with 14 million Naira before the Osun election, wondering why the DSS did not arrest the official who offered the alleged bribe.

“Apparently, Ms. Ogar has never head of a ‘sting operation’ that is widely used by security agencies to catch a person who is committing a crime. The allegation by Ms. Ogar would have been sweet in her mouth had the DSS mounted a sting operation to catch whoever was offering the alleged bribe, and then prosecute him or her,” the party said, calling the allegation cheap blackmail by a conspiratorial
organization.

Commenting on the deployment of security for election, Mohammed said that  “ election is not war, but a celebration of democracy, hence DSS agents should drop their hoods and hide away their menacing guns when next they are posted to police an election anywhere in the country”.

”Was it not publicly announced that the APC was moving its headquarters to Osun to give support for Gov. Rauf Aregbesola? Why didn’t Ms. Ogar question the presence of President Goodluck Jonathan or Vice President Namadi Sambo in Osun when they came too, if she was being fair? It is sad that Ms. Ogar has turned herself to the spokesperson of the PDP by echoing what that party has said on the Osun election. This is unprofessional and irresponsible,” the apc said.

APC said by spearheading the mass arrest of its leaders and members in Osun before and during the August 9th governorship election in the state, and by preventing the rally planned by the NLC in support of Gov. Aregbesola from holding, the DSS has decided to pitch its tent with the PDP instead of staying neutral.

The party said the questions to ask Ms. Ogar are: ”How many PDP leaders were arrested in Osun? If the rally by the NLC had been planned in support of the PDP candidate, Senator Iyiola Omisore, would the DSS have aborted it? Why must the DSS send hooded gunmen to police an election that is a civic matter? Does Ms.Ogar bother to read and understand the Nigerian constitution to know the rights of the citizens?”

APC said it is important to educate the likes of Ogar, and indeed the entire DSS, that election is not war, but a celebration of democracy, hence DSS agents should drop their hoods and hide away their menacing guns when next they are posted to police an election anywhere in the country.

FG Links Leading Politicians To Boko Haram

Mike OmeriThe Federal Government of Nigeria says leading politicians have links to a terrorist group, Boko Haram that has carried out most of its attacks in some states in the northeast.

Briefing journalists in Abuja on Wednesday, the coordinator of the Joint Information Centre for Security, Mr Mike Omeri, said the undisclosed politicians had been arrested and were being interrogated.

According to Omeri, some of the items recovered from the suspected members of the Boko Haram sect, implicating the politicians, include some sensitive registration card.

The agency refused to mention the names of the politicians, but promised that the security agencies would not condone involvement of politicians in activities that threaten national security.

“We wish to emphasise that the government, particularly the security forces and security agencies, will not condone involvement of politicians in security matters where the interest of our country is concerned and involved,” he warned.

Efforts are ongoing to ensure the rescue of the over 200 schoolgirls abducted from their school’s dormitory in Chibok, Borno State by members of the Boko Haram sect on April 14.

The spokesman for the joint counter-terrorism forces, Major General Chris Olukolade, assured Nigerians that operations were ongoing to ensure the rescue of the girls soon.

“Operation is everywhere that we suspect or have reasons to know is the locations of terrorists. Sambisa Forest just happen to be one of them and everywhere they are located in this country, security forces will go after them,” he said.

Few weeks after the girls were abducted, a group began a ‘Bring Back Our Girls’ campaign aimed at pushing the government and security forces to increase efforts to rescue the girls.

The spokesperson for the Department of States Services, Marylyn Ogar, warned the campaign group to be civic with their activities, as security operatives would not tolerate actions aimed at undermining government’s effort to fight insurgency.

“It is an ordinary movement seeking to act or put pressure on the government or security operations to release the girls. There will be no need for the groups to begin to have tags or insisting that they must be properly registered.

“We know that they have bank accounts. We also know that they want to go to Asokoro extension to assimilate some false movement where they have foreign media to say that they are matching into Sambisa or Chibok,” Ogar said.

The Boko Haram activities have wrecked serious havoc in Nigeria in the last four years, leaving several persons dead and many others maimed.

Their actions have been condemned by the international community that are now providing Nigeria intelligence support to ensure that the acts of terrorism cease.

 

 

Nyanya Blast Mastermind Arrested In Sudan-FG

Aminu-OgwucheFederal Government Wednesday evening confirmed the arrest of Abubakar Sadiq Ogwuche, the co-mastermind of the Nyanya bombing where close to 100 persons were confirmed dead and many others wounded.
On Monday, a sum of N25 million was offered as reward for anyone who provides information that will lead to the arrest of Ogwuche and Rufai Abubakar Tsiga while International Police (Interpol) issued an international warrant of arrest on the man said to be hiding in Sudan on Tuesday.
During the Monday briefing by spokesperson for the DSS, Marylyn Ogar, five suspects  were paraded in connection with the incident. They include Ahmad Abubakar (aka Abu Ibrahim/Mai Turare), Mohammed Ishaq, Yau Saidu (aka Kotar Rama) Anas Isah and Adamu Yusuf and all confessed to being privy to the plot to bomb Nyanya.
At the daily briefing of the National Information Centre on Wednesday however, Director General of National Orientation Agency (NOA) Mr. Mike Omeri who was supported by other members of the group announced that the alleged terrorist has been arrested in Sudan and is presently awaiting extradition back home to face charges.
The arrest was through the collaborative efforts of Interpol, Directorate of State Service (DSS), Nigeria Police and the Military Attaché to the Nigerian High Commission in Sudan.
Ogwuche, who is a student of Arabic Language at the International University of Africa, Sudan is a British born Nigerian who deserted the Army in 2006. His service number was SVC 95/104.
He served in the Intelligence Unit of the Nigerian Army at Child Avenue, Arakan Barracks, Lagos, between 2001 and 2006.
He was allegedly involved in terrorist activities which led to his arrest at Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja on Nov. 12, 2011 on arrival from the UK.
However, he was released on bail to his father, Col. Agene Ogwuche (Rtd) on Oct. 15, 2012, following intense pressure from human rights activists, who alleged human rights violation.
Responding to a question Ogar said “We should be happy that wherever a criminal is hiding, he will be fished out. Even if Nigerians would hide him others will fish him out. These terrorists live in our midst and we know them. The world is a small place now.”
About the abducted Chibok girls, Omeri disclosed that international operations to rescue the girls have entered a full swing although he did not give details.
He refuted insinuations that academic activities in the North Eastern parts of Nigeria have been completely paralysed and explained that schools in dangerous areas were shut while the pupils were merged with other schools with adequate security provided.
On the inability of government to rescue the girls after one month in captivity, Omeri said it was not a peculiar situation.
“When Americans were held hostage in Iraq, even though America knew where they were being kept, it took 200 days for them to be rescued. We do not even know where these girls are. We will rescue the girls but it will not take 200 days”, he assured.