6,000 people including high-ranking soldiers have been arrested by Turkish police for their alleged roles in Friday’s failed coup.
A brigade commander and more than 50 soldiers were detained in the western province of Denizli earlier on Sunday as the country continues clean-up operations.
Turkish President, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, says parliament will likely consider a proposal to introduce the death penalty.
At a rally late on Saturday, his supporters demanded that the coup leaders be executed. “Let’s hang them!” chanted the crowd in Ankara’s central Kizilay square.
The president has called on the US to extradite US-based Turkish cleric, Fethullah Gulen, who he accuses of being behind the plot but Mr. Gulen denies it.
Erdogan accuses followers of Gulen, who was once an ally but is now his arch-enemy, of trying to create a “parallel structure” within the courts, police, armed forces and media with an aim to topple the state.
The attempted coup left 161 civilians and 104 “plotters” killed and also more than 1,440 injured.
The Senior Special Assistant to President Buhari on Media and Publicity, Mr Garba Shehu, has dismissed the impeachment threat by some members of the National Assembly as a hoax which exists in the imagination of mischief makers.
Mr Shehu made this remark exclusively to Channels Television in Abuja, while commenting on the recent failed coup attempt in Turkey.
Regarding the purported impeachment threat on the President by the National Assembly, he emphasized the need for Nigeria to uphold its democracy.
Mr Garba Shehu commended the people of Turkey for rising up in defence of democracy.
He condemned those who attempted to take over government through violent means.
President Buhari had also earlier condemned the failed Turkey coup, “The removal of a democratic government by force is no longer acceptable. Violence can never solve any problem but only complicates them and sets back the progress of democratic societies,” he said.
He also offered Nigeria’s support to the government and people of Turkey in their hour of trial.
The Chadian President, Idriss Deby, is in very high spirits as he has secured a fifth term in office after winning more than 60% of the votes in the first round of presidential polls.
President Deby has been in power since 1990, when he orchestrated a military coup.
Based on the outcome of the vote, the opposition has expressed huge doubts over the credibility of the polls, especially after the opposition leader, Saleh Kebzabo finished a distant second with just under 13%.
Chad has one of the most capable armies in the region and President Deby has played a key role in efforts backed by the west to combat neighbouring Nigeria’s Islamic State-affiliated Boko Haram fighters as well as Al Qaeda militants.
Producers of the movie ’76, collaborated with the Nigerian Army on the flick which was inspired by the botched military coup of 1976.
The movie, which was shot for about 6 months at various locations stars top Nollywood actors, Ramsey Nouah, Rita Dominic, Ibinabo Fiberesima and several others.
Those who acted as soldiers, including Daniel K Daniel, got military training for a month, but the young actor insists the training was to make them real soldiers as they went through the same rigorous tasks as the other men of war at the barracks.
“We did that for a whole month just to become soldiers. Not to act like soldiers but to be soldiers… They told us once you cross that gate and you get into the barracks, you are no longer a civilian, you are no longer an actor. You are a soldier and we will treat you as such”.
But this is not the reason for the 7 year production. Director of the movie, Adonija Owiriwa explained.
“We took this long because we wanted get this right… we wanted to tell the story at the same level as Hollywood story.
“This is a made in Nigeria film for the rest of the world. It is our story. We have told the story and we are very sure that the rest of the world will appreciate the story because there’s a uniqueness when you tell your own story.”
A lecturer of International Law at the University of Lagos, Edefe Ojomo, while discussing African Union’s (AU) rationale for suspending Egypt following the removal of President Morsi, argued the that consent of many Egyptians to the military intervention should not be regarded as unconstitutional.
Speaking as a guest on Channels Television’s breakfast programme, Sunrise Daily, she said that asides from military coups, a revolution as seen in Egypt could also be unconstitutional, by AU standards.
She however explained that if the “constitution gets its backing from the people, then obviously public opinion and public will can’t be unconstitutional.”
She attributed the success of 20 million signatories to the petition against the Morsi led administration to dissatisfaction by the people including those who had initially voted the ousted President into power.
She said the democracy, as interpreted by Egyptians, means the ‘people’s voice”
The uprising which led to the Egyptian Army ousting President Mohammed Morsi from power barely a year after being elected into power, was caused by people’s dissatisfaction.
Ojomo noted that the crisis, which involves international politics, domestic politics and domestic economy would not spiral into a civil war.
“People don’t think it will spiral into a civil war because the Egyptian army is strong enough to maintain ‘some calm and some peace’.”
She disagreed with claims that external influences were involved in the uprising adding that “it is insulting to call a popular uprising a sort of manipulation” by outsiders.
She regarded it as a political manner of interpreting such problems.
Lawyer and public affairs analyst, Fred Agbaje has said that the imposition of state of emergency on some troubled northern states is comparable to a military coups d’état.
Mr Agbaje, who was a guest on Channels Television’s breakfast programme, Sunrise daily, said President Goodluck Jonathan did the right thing by not suspending constitutionally elected officials while declaring the emergency rule.
He however said in principle when the President declared a state of emergency in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa, “the existing legal order must give way to the new one because the two cannot operate pari passu or concomitantly.”
Mr Agbaje said President Jonathan should have suspended the executive and legislative arms of government in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa states while the state of emergency lasted.
He said though the Nigerian constitution does not empower the President to sack democratically elected officials, it also did not say that the president cannot remove these officials from office during a state of emergency.
The Nigeria President, Goodluck Jonathan on Friday condemned the on-going attempt by a segment of the military in Guinea- Bissau to subvert the country’s constitutional order and truncate the democratic process which has already been initiated for the election of a legal successor to late President Malam Bacai Sanha.
In a press statement signed by the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Mr Jonathan urged “the Military High Command of Guinea-Bissau to refrain from any further action that threatens the lives of the elected leaders of the Republic of Guinea-Bissau and the established democratic order.”
The Nigerian President also demanded “the immediate release of all those being detained and the restoration of civil democratic rule and constitutional order” in Guinea-Bissau. He welcomed the Military’s declaration that it is not interested in political power, and urges them to take urgent action in confirmation of that declaration.
Mr Jonathan further said that “Nigeria is ready and prepared to act in concert with other members of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) to ensure that the collective effort being made by the people of Guinea-Bissau and friends of the country to entrench democracy, good governance and political stability in the country is not thwarted by an unwelcome military intervention in whatever guise.”
He said that whatever grievances the military may have had that prompted them to take these actions can be redressed through dialogue and noted that some of the grievances were already being addressed by the ECOWAS at its Meeting held in Abidjan, Cote D’Ivoire on Thursday.
Soldiers in Guinea-Bissau have arrested the outgoing Prime Minister, Carlos Gomes Junior, in a suspected coup bid.
A military press attaché and his wife confirmed his detention, after gunfire was heard close to his home in the capital overnight.
The military seized government offices and controlled main roads in the capital on Friday after attacking the former prime minister’s home in an apparent coup to derail his election to the presidency, diplomats and residents said.