5 People Beheaded In Maiduguri

The Nigeria Police has come out to announce the death of five people in an attack by Islamists in Maiduguri, yesterday.

Two witnesses, who asked not to be named, said they heard cries for help at around 2:30 a.m. from a house in the Jiddari Polo area of Maiduguri and later saw five dead bodies with what looked like machete wounds.

“Five people were slaughtered today but we can’t say who did it because they fled before security personnel arrived,” police spokesman Gabriel Jibrin said by phone.

Separately, residents and a Reuters witness said they heard a loud explosion and around 30 minutes of gunfire in the town, close to borders with Niger and Chad.

Military and police said it was too early to give any details on any casualties from the explosion and gun battle.

This is the third attack by the terrorists in the region, this week.

Gunmen suspected of being members of Boko Haram killed 13 local hunters who sell bush meat Islamist militants disapprove of on Monday.

Suspected members of the Islamist sect riding on motorbikes shot dead five people playing an outdoor board game on Tuesday. Two others were wounded.

JTF Recovers Arms And Ammunitions In Yobe State, Kills One

The Joint Task Force (JTF) in Yobe state said one suspected member of the dreaded Boko Haram sect has been killed in a gun battle in the state.

In a statement made available to news men in Damaturu; the state capital, its Spokesman Lieutenant Eli Lazarus reveals that the killing followed an encounter between the JTF who were on patrol around the Gujba Area of the state and members of the Boko Haram.

Other members of the Islamic group according to the statement, escaped with various gunshot wounds during the encounter after abandoning their vehicle.

Items recovered from the suspects include five AK 47 rifles, two hundred and eleven rounds of ammunition and ten Magazines.

Other items include one Mitsubishi Canter truck, two motorcycles and Improvised Explosives Devices (IEDs) materials, medical supplies as well as Police Uniforms.

The statement adds that JTF will continue to work assiduously towards the restoration of permanent peace in the state.

Jaji Twin Attack Update: Death toll now 15

The death toll in the twin attack on the Saint Andrew military protestant church located within the premises of the Armed Forces Command and Staff College, Jaji, Kaduna state has increased to 15.

The Commandant of the College, Air Vice Marshal Abdullahi Kureh confirmed the figure to the Kaduna state governor, Mr. Patrick Yakowa, who visited the site of the attack.

Governor Yakowa condemned the attack, insisting that security had been beefed up to forestall future recurrence.

He commiserated with the family of the victims, describing the incidence as an act of terrorism or religious extremism aimed at destroying the country.

He also stressed the need for a synergy between all the security agencies, traditional leaders, and other stakeholders to arrest the situation.

He directed that all government installations, as well as civilians should be properly guided against any attack.

The governor urged the perpetrators to lay down their arms, embrace peace as the government was ready to dialogue with them.

Governor Yakowa said the state government and the military would assist the victims to enable them recover as all medical bills of those affected would be settled by the state government.

According to an eyewitness report, one of the suicide bombers was sighted praying inside a toyota camry car before it finally exploded, killing worshippers at the Military Protestant Church of the Armed Forces Command and Staff College.

However, the view of many concerning the twin blast was that the attack was an intelligence failure because the level of insurgency had heightened since the Federal Government took the decision of placing ransom reward of N290m on the leaders of insurgency group; Boko Haram.

Military authorities are yet to release an update on the number of causalities affected in the blast, as the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Azubuike Ihejirika, while speaking at the opening of the Chief of Army Staff annual conference in Asaba the Delta state capital directed that an inquiry board be setup so as to unravel the cause of the bombing, vowing that in spite of the incessant attacks on the army, nothing would deter it from achieving its objectives, which was ridding the nation of terrorists and other elements bent on causing destabilising it.

He noted that the army would remain professional in the conduct of its operation and would keep strictly to the rules of service.

He stated that “despite the level of propaganda of the Boko Haram terrorists in the plot to discredit the army, we will not be deterred in our resolve to address the current internal security challenges in partnership with other security agencies.

Nigeria Army steps up counter terrorism operations

The Chief of Army Staff Lieutenant General Onyeabo Ihejirika says the Nigerian Army is adopting a new strategy to fighting terrorism in the country.

He said “the Nigeria Army cannot always depend on a set pattern of operations”.

General Ihejirika made the remark at the graduation ceremony of 1,952 soldiers from Basic Counter Terrorism Course 6 at the Nigerian Army Training Centre Kontagora, Niger state.

Nigeria has been grappling with the upsurge of terrorist attacks in the northern region that has claimed many lives and raised fear among citizens and doubts over the capability of security forces.

Terrorist attacks including the killing of Italian and British hostages earlier this year raised calls for the military to adopt new tactics and skills in counter terrorism.

Sexy Facebook profiles used by Taliban to get military secrets from troops

This probably shouldn’t come as a huge surprise, as a lot is going in the world of the social media network with the advancement of technology the world over.

A Taliban has brought forward another eye opener that all sorts can be done with a social media network as famous social media network Facebook was used to get military secrets of the Australian troops by creating using several fake Facebook profiles with very attractive women.

According to a review of social media and defense by the Australian government, an “overt reliance” on privacy settings has led to a “false sense of security” among personnel. In other words — just because you’re a Facebook privacy ninja doesn’t mean you should go around posting military secrets on the Internet.

The tech-savvy Taliban created fake Facebook profiles using pictures of attractive women and with these fake profiles befriended Australian soldiers, gathering information based on those soldiers’ Facebook updates in the process of friending them.

A big problem, of course, is Facebook’s geo-tagging function, which logs the location from which posts or photos are uploaded. If a soldier posts something to Facebook while they’re in the field, this pretty much gives away their location.

According to News.com.au, three Australian soldiers were murdered inside their base this month, allegedly by an Afghan Army trainee.

According to the review of social media and defense, many soldiers did not realize that people using fake profiles can capture information and movements.

“Few consider the possibilities of data mining and how patterns of behaviour can be identified over time,” the review states. The review surveyed 1577 Australian Department of Defence members on their social media practices and knowledge (or lack thereof) of associated risks. Fifty-eight per cent of Defence staff reportedly had no social media training.

The Australian Department of Defence is currently working on new social media guidelines, which will be released by Christmas.

You may not be a member of the Australian military, but that doesn’t mean you should go around friending just anybody on Facebook. Fake Facebook friends and profiles have been around since the beginning of Facebook, and may be anyone from federal agents to spies to companies looking for buzz.

The obvious advice is that you shouldn’t add anyone on Facebook unless you know them in real life — hot girl or not. However, if you insist on making virtual friends over social networking platforms, here are some guidelines to keep your personal information safe:

– Add as little personal information as possible to your profile. Needless to say, your address, phone number, and date of birth (at the very least, birth year) should not be publicly available or even available to “friends only” on your profile.

– Understand how social engineers can use different pieces of information on the Internet to gather intel about you. For example, if you put your birth day and month on your Facebook profile, and you put your high school graduation year on your LinkedIn profile, a savvy social engineer will be able to put two and two together. Therefore, limit personal information as much as possible.

– If you’re on vacation (or in a secret military location), don’t post about it until after you get back (or to a safe, non-secret military location). Posting pictures and updates while you’re thousands of miles away from your home advertises that you’re…thousands of miles away from your home.

– Monitor what your friends say to you and about you on Facebook. In your Privacy settings, it’s a good idea to turn on the “review posts” feature, which lets you approve (or disapprove) posts your friends want to tag you in before they automatically appear on your timeline. To turn on this feature, go to Privacy > Timeline and Tagging > Review posts friends tag you in before they appear on your timeline, and turn it “On.”

– Be careful about what your photos say. Many smartphones automatically geo-tag photos, so it’s a good idea to turn this off, if possible. To turn off geo-tagging on an iPhone, go to Settings > Location Services > Camera, and turn the Location Services “Off” for the camera. To turn of geo-tagging on an Android phone, open up your camera, go to Camera settings > Store location, and make sure this is turned “Off.”

The easiest way to avoid this type of privacy mishap is to only friend people you actually know in real life. Still, it’s a good idea to take these precautions–after all, you never know which of your real-life Facebook friends may have left their account open on a public computer somewhere.

 

Mali Junta accepts interim leader’s extension – Chief Negotiator

The chief negotiator for the West African regional bloc says the junta in Mali has accepted that the current interim president will stay in office until new elections can be held.

A group of middle ranking soldiers toppled Mali’s democratically elected president on March 21. Since then West African leaders have been pressuring the junta to exit the political scene and return to their barracks.

Djibrill Bassole, the foreign minister of Burkina Faso, told reporters late Saturday that the junta and ECOWAS were in full agreement on the matter.

The junta in Mali had been resisting the extended presidency of Dioncounda Traore who took over as interim president on April 12 for an initial period of 40 days.

Bassole did not say how long the transition would last.

JTF arrests six oil thieves in Bayelsa

 The Joint Task Force (JTF) led by the Commander, 5 Battalion of the JTF, Lt Col Ja’afaru Ibrahim, waylaid an oil theft syndicate during an early morning raid as they used the riverside Otuogori community in Ogbia local government area of Bayelsa State as depot for the transportation of illegally refined petroleum products.

Six in all, the suspects were caught in the act of their illegal activity as they were loading a 36,000 litre capacity tanker with illegally refined diesel and 300 surface tanks.

A 36,000 litre capacity tanker, with registration number XQ 239 LSR, used in conveying illegally refined petroleum product (diesel), 26 large surface tanks, 2 Geepee tanks, each having 500-litre storage capacity, over 300 drums of diesel, gigantic hoses, generators and 10 pumping machines used in siphoning stolen crude oil as well as in transferring illegally refined products to surface tanks, waiting vessels and tankers were intercepted by the security forces.

The raid was reported to be a surprise as most of the community members were believed to be neck deep in the illegal bunkering business because they all abandoned their place of abode which they stocked with the illegally refined products and scampered for safety while the JTF carried out their raid.

Last week’s destruction of 218 illegal refineries, 151 surface tanks and oil dumps around Oporoza in the Ecravos waterways of Delta State, Alakiri waterside and the adjoining creeks of Sombreiro River in Abonema, Rivers State led to raid by the JTF.

Soldier arraigned in court for stealing N200

A soldier and civilian, who teamed up in Katsina state to allegedly rob their victim of N200, were arraigned before a Katsina Chief Magistrate Court by state police officials.

Accordign to reports, the prosecutor policeman, Sgt. Okolo Usman, told the court that soldier Ahmad Muhammad and one Ahmad Abubakar, had robbed one Alhaji Haruna Adamu on the night of 9 March.

They had injured their victim before fleecing him of the cash and fleeing the crime scene. Police officers patrolling the area had come upon the distraught victim and had immediately started a search of the area.

The suspects were arrested and the victim rushed to Sabuwa General Hospital for medical attention.

Usman confirmed that the soldier had been dismissed from service, but was arrested in his military garb.

Both accused persons were remanded in police custody and the case adjourned until 2 April.

Military uncovers arms cache in Kano

The joint security information managers committee of the Nigerian army has uncovered a large cache of arms and ammunition in Mariri area of Kano state.

Military uncovers arms cache in Kano

This was made known at a news conference in Abuja, by the spokesperson of the committee and director, Defence information; Colonel Mohammed Yerima.

According to Colonel Yerima, “the arms depot was uncovered on Monday following a tip off.”

The Colonel warned those he claimed are “masquerading as members of the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger- Delta (MEND)” to desist from “all criminal acts, as the joint task force are more than prepared to deal decisively with any group attempting to disrupt the peace of the nation.”

After months of cessation of attacks on oil pipelines, men claiming to members of MEND attacked trunk lines belonging to Italian oil company; ENi in Bayelsa state, last weekend. The militant group also warned that it will be staging more attacks on oil installations across the country and companies of South African origin in Nigeria.