Google ‘X Phone’ A Wireless Charging Phone?

Google will be unveiling a new smartphone as early as spring of 2013, in conjunction with the Motorola, the mobile phone manufacturer Google acquired in May 2012.

Though its executives didn’t mention it in today’s earnings call, but the device called Google “X Phone,” may come as early as spring 2013.

At this point its existence and capabilities are pure speculation—rumoured features range from a bendable screen and a ceramic case to advanced gesture recognition technology—but whatever it is, it will be the first true “Google phone,” where everything from its hardware to its software will be under Google’s complete control. (Past efforts at creating Google-branded devices, as in Google’s Nexus line of phones and tablets, have always been partnerships with a variety of manufacturers outside Google.)

Twice during today’s earnings call, Google executives emphasized that when the company bought Motorola, Motorola already had a 12 to 18 month “product pipeline” in the works, which Google is still “working through.” Google could have shut down Motorola’s work on existing handsets, but that would have involved bigger short- and long-term losses than the company was apparently willing to take. It also means that all of the devices that Motorola has released since it was acquired were already in the works, and the same is likely to be true until at least spring of this year. (A good example is the Motorola Motogo! phone, which looks like a dated BlackBerry and doesn’t even run Android.)

Rumours have already circulated that Google will reveal a Motorola-built “X Phone” and “X Tablet” at its next developer’s conference, which is scheduled for May 15-17, 2013.

In today’s call, Google CEO Larry Page said that “In today’s multi-screen world, the opportunities are endless… battery life is a huge issue… when you drop your phone it shouldn’t go splat. There’s a real potential to invent new and better experiences.” Page also mentioned phone recharging as a pain point for people. This is speculation, but the obvious interpretation of these comments is that Google is working on—or at least thinking about—phones with extra-long battery life, some kind of novel (perhaps wireless) recharging capability, and a case that won’t break when the phone is dropped. (Which is possibly a reference to earlier rumours about Google’s X Phone using an extra-hard case that incorporates ceramics.)

More job cuts likely at Motorola – Google

“Motorola continues to evaluate its plans and further restructuring actions may occur, which may cause Google to incur additional restructuring charges, some of which may be significant,” Google said in a filing with the SEC.

The search giant provided details on how much the layoff will cost. That includes $300 million (£185 million) in severance-related charges, and $90 million (£56 million) in facility and market exit charges. Much of that will be recognised in the third quarter of 2012, but a portion will roll into 2013, Google said.

A company spokeswoman said that the filing was made “to provide updated information around Motorola Mobility’s cost reductions that were announced earlier this summer,” but provided no further details about additional costs or more job cuts.

In July, Google reported a jump in revenue since its Motorola acquisition was finalised – Google earned $12.21 billion (£7.5 billion) in the last quarter, up 35 per cent from the same time last year. Motorola’s earnings reached $1.25 billion (£772 million).

The $12.5 billion (£7.7 billion) acquisition was cleared in late May, adding 20,293 employees and a mobile device hardware business to Google’s already-successful Android operating system.

A month after the deal closed, the Federal Trade Commission reportedly began investigating Google over patent abuse charges related to Motorola, which was accused of not making good faith efforts to license its technology to rivals like Apple and Microsoft.

Android-powered desktop unveiled by Motorola

Phone-making company, Motorola has introduced new desktop computer powered by Android which also offers cloud-based services provided by Wasu, including games, high-definition television and movies and web browsing.

A partnership agreement was done between Motorola Mobility and Wasu Digital a cable and telecommunications service provider to launch a new android powered computer “HMC3260″”.

The HMC3260, which is dubbed as CloudBroadBand, features an 8.5 inch LED touchscreen, Android 2.3.4 operating system and broadband internet access through EuroDOCSIS.

It also features 1 GB DDR RAM, 4 GB NAND flash memory, LAN and Freescale i.MX53 ARM Cortex A8 1GHz.

With the new CloudBroadBand, Wasu’s customers can access to a host of cloud entertainment services such as an on-demand high-definition media, games, applications and storage space.

Motorola Home Division Asia vice president and regional general manager Kevin Keefe said the Motorola HMC3260 provides subscribers with a fast broadband connection and also offers cloud-based services provided by Wasu, including games, high-definition television and movies, web browsing and more.

The powerful touchscreen interface capitalizes on the power and flexibility of Android to enable Wasu to differentiate itself from operators who only offer a pipeline for data.

Google to cut 20% Motorola staff for profit sake

Google is cutting 20 percent of Motorola  staff to ensure the phone and tablet maker return to days of profit.

In a filing submitted to the Securities and Exchange Commission detailing the plans, Google didn’t single out any specific parts of the company for the layoffs, but it was noted that Motorola’s product line would change as a result of the changes, which will include some office and plant closures as well.

“Two-thirds of the reduction is set to occur outside of the U.S.,” Google wrote in the filing. “In addition, Motorola plans to close or consolidate about one-third of its 90 facilities, as well as simplify its mobile product portfolio — shifting the emphasis from feature phones to more innovative and profitable devices.”

Google closed its $12.5 billion takeover of Motorola Mobility in May. Shortly thereafter, Google appointed Dennis Woodside as the subsidiary’s new CEO. Woodside has no background in consumer electronics, the mobile industry or engineering. Rather, Woodside is a mergers and acquisitions lawyer who has been with Google since 2003, and oversaw the company’s efforts to purchase Motorola Mobility.

The job cuts and facility closures are all being made with an eye toward making Motorola a self-sufficient, profitable entity, Google said in the filing, noting that Motorola Mobility “lost money in fourteen of the last sixteen quarters.”

It’s unclear if the decision to make the job cuts came from Woodside and Motorola, or Google and its Chief Executive, Larry Page. Google has said in the past that it would let Motorola run as a company independent of its richer, more profitable parent.

Officials at Google and Motorola were unavailable on Monday to comment beyond the SEC filing, which was first reported on by The Next Web.

The moves, of course, won’t come without a cost.

Google expects to incur a severance-related charge of no greater than $275 million, which it believes will be largely recognized in the third quarter, with the remaining severance-related costs recognized by the end of 2012.

Although Google cannot currently predict the amount of these other charges at this time, these additional charges could be significant.

Google also expects to incur other restructuring charges related to the actions described above, the majority of which will be recognized in the third quarter.