The Federal Ministry of Health has dismissed reports of the resurgence of Ebola in Calabar, Cross River State, as a mere rumour.
The Permanent Secretary at the Ministry of Health, Mr Linus Awute, told journalists in Abuja that the story which has been making the rounds since Wednesday was a case of an undergraduate student of the University of Calabar who fell ill and was admitted into the university’s teaching hospital.
According to him, although the patient who died seven hours after admission, had symptoms similar to that of the Ebola virus, results from tests already conducted proved negative.
He, however, told the journalists that further test on the blood samples of the deceased was being carried out at the Redeemers University laboratory to identify the nature of the disease that killed the student.
The National Orthopaedic Hospital (NOH), has opened a specialised centre for training and retraining in Orthopaedic and Trauma Management.
The centre, put up at the National Orthopaedic Hospital, Igbobi, Lagos, in collaboration with the International Society for Orthopaedic and Traumatology, is expected to expose the Resident Doctors and young surgeons to surgical skills, using models and mannequin as if working on real patients.
At the commissioning of the centre, the Permanent Secretary of the Federal Ministry of Health, Mr Linus Awute, used the occasion to advise the Resident Doctors on strike in various public hospitals across the country over welfare issues to tow the path of dialogue.
The NOH had been serving the nation for over 55 years in the field of Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery.
Hundreds of reputable surgeons, orthopaedic nurses, plaster technicians and accident and emergency staff have also been trained by the NOH.
The Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Health, Mr Linus Awute, says the solution to the challenges confronting Nigeria’s health care sector is a full implementation of the newly passed National Health Law (NHL).
The National Health Bill was signed into law in December 2014 by former President Goodluck Jonathan.
Awute made the remarks at a forum with representatives of the World Health Organization (WHO) on Tuesday in Abuja, Nigeria’s capital.
The presence of the WHO’s representatives was to launch a Five-year plan on ‘Country Cooperation Strategy’ for Nigeria.
WHO’s Country Representative, Rui Gama Vaz, explained that the five-year Country Cooperation Strategy for Nigeria would communicate the agency’s level of intervention until 2019.
He also called on the government to take strong ownership of the sector and build on the existing achievements in the sector.
WHO had since the year 2000, continued to articulate its strategic plans for interventions in the Nigerian health sector annually.
The Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Health, Mr Linus Awute, says the Ministry will operate a ‘no work, no pay’ rule, if the health workers’ refuse to call off strike.
The Permanent Secretary, who made the statement at a news conference in Abuja, described the decision by workers to stay away from work as grossly unacceptable.
Mr Awute also condemned the harassment on officials of some of the health institutions in the country by the striking workers.
The workers began the industrial action since May after the National President of Nigerian Union of Allied Health Professionals (NUAHP) called for the action citing the failure of the former President Jonathan’s administration to honour an agreement earlier reached.